ADVERTISEMENT

Henry rifles

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
just recently bought a Henry "Evil Roy" .22. Damn nice little gun. I had only one issue, the front sight was bent. Called up Henry Arms and they dropped a new sight in the mail with a quickness. I have heard their customer service is awesome, and it's true. You call em up, tell what you got...BOOM. They handle it. I have read other folks that have had some issues here and there and Henry has them send the gun in, all shipping paid and either fixes it or sends a new gun. Easy to get someone on the phone too, no bs at all.

First day I had it, even with the bent sight (it wasn't really that big of a bend, just cosmetics really), I popped a troublesome coyote in the neck and dropped him like 3rd period French at 75 yards. I was actually kinda surprised that I was able to do that with a .22 that is this short (16 inch octogon barrel) but I took aim and the rifle did the rest.

I'm a believer in Henry rifles, some folks don't like them because they don't have the pedigree of a Winchester and what not, but from what I have seen and experienced firsthand makes me happy with the purchase. I plan on getting some of the larger rifles later, either the .357 or the 45-70. Lever actions are some serious fun. Been wanting to get into big game hunting, so that's the reason for the 45-70. I have a Savage model 24 and a Ruger security six .357, kinda nice to have several guns chambers in the same round.

The Henry's are very nice I think. Great nostalgic appeal and fun to shoot. I think that is a family owned business and they personalize their service... they aren't that big so they take care of you. I'd like to have one in 22.Mag. Speaking of dual use cartridges, I think you can also get a Henry in .45 Colt, which isn't as powerful as the 45-70 but will stop most anything up close (not far off a .44 mag for power i think). Now you're set for cowboy action shooting.

Funny you should bring this up (lever action guns that is), as I just pulled out my Win 94 and cleaned it. It's killed a fair amount of coyotes (and a few deer and skunks) out here on the ranch, is so easy to swing and sight and surprisingly accurate. Mine is a 30-30. I have some 30 year old shells I'm shooting up and surprised they still reach out there and do their work if I do mine.

Always wanted a Winnie 94, just have been distracted by everything else I run across lately. Hell, if I bought every gun I WANT, I would need to get another safe lol.

Guns in general have really went up in prices. My trusty old Nylon 66 with a little Weaver scope is supposedly going up in value. Never thought that little thing would be worth anything really. Talk about a reliable little gun...I treated mine nicely, still has the obligatory scratches as most do with the plastic but I wouldn't sell it for the world. Besides my old Mossberg .410, it was my first real gun (unless you count the Daisy BB guns I had...Red Ryder!). I have been looking at all the weird and ugly guns lately, they have really piqued my interest. Chiappa Rhino, savage model 24, Henry Survival rifle, etc. beautiful to me, but some
folks don't like the looks....speaking of old guns and strange, I pulled out my dads old Ithaca 185D 20 gauge. Magazine fed bolt action. Still have all three chokes and the little choke wrench. Works great still, used it for skeet a few weeks back and it ran nicely.

Well, so far I've got a decent little collection of Henrys. A 44mag carbine, the Evil Roy, the Original Henry Rifle Engraved Edition 44-40, a survival rifle, and the Railroad Edition tribute in .22LR/L/S.

They just came out with some new editions, and 2nd Edition engraved 44-40 original Henry and a case hardened receiver version of the same gun. They actually have about 16 new rifles, with the case hardening being a new offering on multiple exiting calibers. I'm going to try and get both of the new original Henrys and maybe one of the other special editions, I'm working on a little display of sorts for Henry rifles in my man cave. Love these things!

Just picked up my new Henry Original Deluxe Engraved 2nd Edition today. These pics show it next to my 1st edition. I like the stock on the 2nd edition a little more. My 1st edition looks a little more yellow because I need to polish it. I love these guns, they are simply works of art. Both runs are limited to 1000. I'm looking at getting the Iron Frame edition next. The last pic is the Iron Frame.

I have shot the first edition, but the 2nd edition is going to be a safe queen until I decide later whether I want to try it out. The iron frame is going to be a shooter though, that case hardened receiver is tough enough to take out and play with.

These guns are smooth as hell. I would recommend them to anyone that enjoys shooting lever guns. The lower priced regular Original Henry without engraving can be found much cheaper than any of these I listed, and the 44-40 is a very sedate cartridge, and with the weight of these guns it feels like you are shooting a .22. And it's almost the same noise level...don't try this at home, but I shot mine without ear protection once on accident and it wasn't very loud at all. Definitely not uncomfortable.

They are great guns, Henry has a winner with these.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT