ADVERTISEMENT

Gun show experiences

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
So the big Wanamacher gun show is going on....and I went.

First off, don't count on them being able to use debit cards at the door. Just make sure you get your cash in pocket if you haven't bought tickets online. The vendors inside can use debit cards and credit cards and everything else like people have been able to do to purchases goods and services since like, oh, i dont know, 1975. But no, must have cash money to get in....I know damn good and well I have been able to purchase tickets at the door of other expo building events with my debit card...but not this time. And yes, you can go use the ATM onsite for only a nice little $3.25 fee, but the line to get inside is quite long and you will have to go right back out and start the hell over. Guilty.

Nice show if you like AR-15s, AR-15s, guns like AR-15s and AR-15s. Seriously, trying to find anything accessory wise besides a few holsters for any other gun is a search for real. Pistol grips for shotguns? Don't even try. I found two, one that I could use.

.22LR ammo is available, at about 12 cents a round. That's kinda high, some places online are as low as 8 cents a round.

Lots of collector guns. I could care less about some $8000 old Pistol that I can't fire. Not a collector like that. Not saying that's a bad thing, but I didn't see an abundance of newer Colt 1911s. There were a few, and there was quite a few other 1911 frame guns, but i saw one single 1911 Colt Rail gun in the whole joint. FIgured someone might be selling the new Colt M1 marine Rail Gun that some guys online have been nutty about. Didn't see a single one.

There was one area that had some good prices on guns....and about the only place I saw a Desert Eagle .50 AE. Not many Eagles in there...

Antique ammo.....$300 for a 40 year old box of shells? Someone explain this to me. Is it because some of the older loads are more powerful than what we have today? I know I have some ammo like that, 12 gauge. I fired it and then a brand new batch of 12 gauge, same shot size and all. The old shells were cranking my shoulder pretty good. New stuff shot like butter, but not much punch. Don't know if that's it or people just like the pretty boxes, but I talked to one lady who was telling my wife how they have made a few 100 grand in the last couple years buying and selling the stuff. Crazy.

I did see some Colt Pythons, which are both collectible but definitely a gun that can be shot if you can get over paying over 5K for a .357.

Anyway, it's so much different than the gun shows I remember back when I was in my teens. Way more people for sure. And this is just MY account. I may have missed quite a few things as I did have my wife with me griping about every step of the way. So it was difficult for me to be completely focused. I did see some really cool things, a table full of 50BMG firing rifles, big anti-material type rifles (sorry, didn't get close enough to see the makers of each gun). Saw one monster 20 mm WW2 anti-tank rifle for about 12K that looked like it would be a hoot to fire.

The prices I saw on things wasn't "the bargains" I used to see at gun shows. The VP9 I bought for my wife recently was sellng for the same price at a few different booths. I have seen them cheaper online.

BrBmFEK.jpg

Went back today because I'm a glutton for punishment...and was rewarded for my efforts.

Been looking for an over and under rifle/shotgun combo for awhile. Savage stopped making their model 24 a few years back and has started making a model 42, but it's kind of a POS from the reviews I have seen. So I have been looking for an older model 24, was wanting at least a .22winmag/20 gauge combo. I happened upon a .357/20 gauge model 24....which is rare as all get out. I ended up paying about 150 less than the asking price and had a couple old guys try to buy it from me on my way out lol. It's a keeper though, shot it tonite and fell in love with this gun.

Saw one on an online auction for about 500 bucks more than what I paid and have been smiling like an idiot for 4 hours now...

I have tried posting pics before, never seems to work well on my Mac. If someone would throw me a quick bone I will definitely post some pics

I have included a link to an auction of one like mine, the differences being mine doesnt have the stock drilled for a sling and the case coloring is nicer. These came from the factory with colored cases, that's not worn gun blue on the receiver as this guy is saying. I thought the same thing until I started doing some research and figured out what the coloring looked like. Sort of a dark copper marbled look, it's pretty nice in person, doesn't photograph well.

This all started for me when I was just a wee lad...neighbor kid had a .22 .410 Hornet. Having a shotgun and rifle in one just seemed all Swiss army knife lol. Being a gadget geek and gun guy, it hits home.

Plus, I have a .357 mag Ruger for home and carry, pretty sweet to buy one box of ammo for my rifle and my revolver.

A little steep on the starting bid...

Dang Rulz you have made me jelly on that one. I have been looking for something along those lines for a while now. Nice pick up.

Yeah JV, I hadn't had that crazy rush and urge to throw money at soemthing I didn't know crap about after one look and feely(I knew the model 24s, just nothing about this particular combo) like that in awhile. Btw, these guns are heavier than you might imagine, a little over 7 pounds (just weighed mine this morning). If you are into the lighter weight fire arms, this won't be one of them. But the cool thing is it breaks down to three pieces in a second and can be put into a small case and stuffed into a backpack or vehicle storage. Stick the barrel and foregrip back on, chamber a 357 mag (or 38 special) and 20 gauge shell and pick your poison with a flip of a switch on the hammer. Can't fire both at once....you must choose....but choose wisely, for a false Grail will bring you....

I stole another guys moniker for his combo gun and named mine "Salt & Pepper" lol. I was gonna call it "Sh^# and Git it", but I have to pump the brakes on my redneckiness at some point.

I need to look for an original style strap, cleaning rod that goes in the stock, and bayonet for my M1903... WWII era fabrication - sweet shootin' old rifle. Heavy though !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT