ADVERTISEMENT

GOT 04/19/2015

JonnyVito

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Mar 12, 2008
So what did you guys think about last night episode?

Really liked that they included the Lyanna Mormont letter. One of my favorite small parts of the book. Really like Snow's reaction to it also.

Excited to see more of Dorne.

I to am excited for the Dorne stuff so far nothing I imagined looks the same as what the show came up with. Prince Doran Martell was nothing like I imagined in my head either.

I liked this episode much better than the first, which seems to suffer every year from the inclination to check in with almost every character. If we focused solely on the Wall, Arya, and the Tyrion and Varys road show, I'd be happy.

This wasn't about last night's episode per se, but it really hit me last night that, if they stick to 7 seasons like they've indicated in the past, they will really have to hustle to wrap things up (true for the books as well). Even though we've seen more in the show about the White Walkers, we've still seen almost nothing. I imagine there will have to be a time when everyone south of the Wall realizes, "Oh shit, we're being invaded by ice zombies" and rallies their troops to the Wall. It doesn't seem like that would happen in just a couple episodes. It seems like dealing with that battle will take up most of a season (the lead-up, the battle itself, reactions in other areas, the mad dash to the Wall, the fallout).

I enjoyed the episode. My big takeaway was that it appears that HBO may know the endgame for each of the main characters, but they have no idea what happens between the end of book 5 and the very end of book 7. What happened last night with Brienne, Sansa, Littlefinger, Jaime, and Bronn appears to be very divergent from what has happened/will happen in the books. We know that when Book 5 ended, Brienne and Jaime were together, in the Riverlands, on their way to Lady Stoneheart, and Sansa/Littlefinger were still in the Vale rather than on a mysterious road trip to help Sansa get revenge on the people who have wronged the Stark family. Bronn was happily married to Lollys Stokeworth and reluctant to leave his new castle.

For me, this was a good sign. I was worried that HBO was going to spoil book 6 for me, but now I am not so worried. Of course Book 7 is bigger issue.

The one thing, from last night, that I felt might be a spoiler was revealing that the man in the House of Black and White was Jaquen H'Gar. That may turn out to be accurate, or may be HBO's own addition. I have always suspected that Syrio, Jaquen and The House of B/W man were the same person changing faces and watching over Arya, but there are some reasons to doubt that this is accurate.

Hard to tell if that was actually him, or just a face the guy was wearing since Arya mentioned him. I guess it doesnt really change anything if it is him, and then he goes off to do whetever he is doing in the books. We don't see him in the books for a good while.

Main thing I took from it is that the series is more clearly cutting it's own path from the books. Jamie going to Dorne with Bronn, Brienne meeting up with Sansa just as with Arya last season and Arya meeting Jaqen H'ghar at the House of Black and White are all significant departures from the books. It appears the plan is to elevate the roll of some of the better minor characters while eliminate less significant storylines and characters. I'm interesting to see where these new threads take us.

I still say this one and two more seasons. They aren't even pretending to mess around with Martin any more.

I believe Martin is breathing a sigh of relief. Writing the next and final two or three or four or five books was hanging over his head like the sword of Damocles.

He has become wealthier than he could ever have imagined when this story began and now, he'd just like to go spend his last years enjoying that fact. Writing thousand-page books addressing all the characters he's created is a slow, pains-taking, plodding process.

I don't blame him one bit for washing his hands of this.

And I don't mind at all if anyone disagrees. I would suggest that you wait until you're into your 60's to have too strong an opinion, however.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT