ADVERTISEMENT

Game of Thrones 5/10

Ostatedchi

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2002
Maybe it is just me but this season is going nowhere slowly.

I think we're moving pretty quickly. Dany needs a counsel she can trust. Mormont will fit the bill and will be there soon bearing a small wiggly gift. Will HBO let her marry the guy she's picked?

The war for the North is going to start before anyone is really ready. It will sort out the Sansa, Theon, Boltons, Melisandre, Stannis and Jon stories. Throw in the White Walkers and Bran for good measure. Perhaps Samwell will find a book explaining what Bran is learning about leading an army south.

Jaime's going to light the fuse on something in the south he's probably not ready for about the time Stannis (or Jon??) heads south toward King's Landing.

I think by the end of the season The North could be headed south; the South headed north and Dany and Tyrion might be sailing west. That wouldn't be a bad cliff-hanger to set up next season.

Upon further drinking, the North may take more time to sort out than just this season but we're clearly headed for some serious bloodletting up there.

As the Constable in Young Franenstein said, "A riot is a terrible thing, undt, I think it's just about time we had one!"

I am really enjoying this season. I remember when I was growing up, and had a voracious appetite for comic books. Marvel had one that was titled "What If". They would do stories like..."What if Spider-Man had joined the Fantastic Four". Or "What if Captain America had never vanished after WW 2". Those stories were always a fun read. I feel like this is very similar. "What if Sansa married Ramsay Bolton". "What if Jaime went to Dorne to rescue Myrcella". "What if Jorah Mormont got Greyscale instead of Jon Connington".

I really thought that Tyrion's encounter with the stone men was not going to happen, but HBO got creative in bringing it back into the story. They did take some significant liberties with GRRM's version of Valyria. In his books, it is not a place you can go through on your way to somewhere else, and it is not on a river. It is in the middle of the sea, and is a place that people rarely, if ever, return from when they go there. HBO turned it into a much less foreboding place and made it a kind of Leper Colony for people afflicted with Greyscale.

Another significant divergence, that caught me off guard last night, was Jon seemingly agreeing to accompany Tormund to Hardholme to round up the rest of the Wildlings (btw, how did Tormund know where they went if he was captured as they were fleeing Stannis' army?). At first, I was thinking that It doesn't make any sense for Jon to go north of the wall because he is the Lord Commander and should be supervising things at the wall and making more controversial decisions that turn members of the Night's Watch against him. Then I realized that HBO has temporarily removed any chance at controversial decisions from their story. There is no Alice Karstark. There is no Dahlia. Stannis is not leaving his wife (or any Queen's men) or Melisandre at the wall. To keep Jon interesting, they have to send him north of the wall with Tormund. The only question I have is if he will send Sam, Gilly and Aemon on a journey. It seems unlikely, due to Melisandre and Stannis being gone. Protecting Mance's baby and Aemon from those 2 was the whole impetus for the journey. However, they did set the stage for Jon to make the decision with Sam discussing Oldttown and The Citadel last night.

Maybe it is just because I don't know what is going to happen but I've really enjoyed this season a lot.

I thought Stannis's conversation with Sam, combined with Sam's convo with Gilly, would serve as the rationale for sending Sam on. Stannis told Sam to keep reading because it is important to know how to kill what we will have to fight + oh, this is a tiny library in the scheme of things.

I thought Stannis's conversation with Sam, combined with Sam's convo with Gilly, would serve as the rationale for sending Sam on. Stannis told Sam to keep reading because it is important to know how to kill what we will have to fight + oh, this is a tiny library in the scheme of things.

Yes. They were definitely setting it up. In HBO's world, it makes sense to send Sam. There doesn't seem to be a reason to send the other 2 along with him, but I'm sure they can come up with something that seems logical. Or, they could leave 1, or both, at the wall. What happened to Aemon, on the journey, could just as easily happen at the wall. It could even serve as the impetus for sending Sam.

On another note, HBO has really made a ton of significant changes to Stannis' character. He claims to have a significant numbers advantage over the Boltons, which is the opposite of GRRM's story. In GRRM's version, he is always the underdog and always stressing about how he is going to build up his army. He was even a huge underdog against the Wildling army, but caught them totally by surprise and hit them quickly causing most of them to flee. In addition, his scene with Shireen showed a side of him not seen in the books. Even his scene with Sam, last night, was different. I don't think GRRM's Stannis believes in the White Walkers. If he does, he is not all that concerned about them.

I was about to post the same thing last week Been. In the HBO show Stannis definitely seems "stronger". I'm sure I'm forgetting something but how does he have so many men?

I was about to post the same thing last week Been. In the HBO show Stannis definitely seems "stronger". I'm sure I'm forgetting something but how does he have so many men?

Yeah, the show isn't really giving us a reason not to want Stannis to be the king. He seems a much better option than Daenerys.

HBO just never made him as much of an underdog. They never delved deeply into his lack of support due to Renley being better liked and getting the support of most of the Stormland lords. In the books, most of those guys switched loyalty to the Lannisters when Renley died (because they wanted to be on the winning side).

His entire reason for coming north and saving the day against the Wildlings, was because he needed men and thought that if he turned back the wildling army, many of the northern lords would appreciate it and give him their allegiance (and men for his army).

Stannis' entire arc, in the books, has to do with him fighting for respect and overcoming strong odds that are in the favor of his opponents. He is currently camped outside Winterfell, which is held by a force 4-5 times larger than his, and he is in a terrible blizzard with almost no food available. It is hard to see how HBO is going to create a similar scenario.

HBO has turned him into a heroic figure, where GRRM has created a character that the reader feels sorry for. The reader doesn't particularly like his personality, but roots for him for 2 main reasons in my opinion. First, he is an underdog and everyone likes an underdog. Secondly, he is about to go up against the combined might of the Boltons/Freys, and those guys are traitors and the scum of Westeros.

Man I am really interested in where this grey scale is going.
******* SPOILER ALERT*********

Also isn't that the same guy that Dani marries in the books?

@cornichon Thanks by the way some have acted I thought maybe it was a completely different person.

Did any of you catch the Little Finger and the Sparrow scene for the preview of next week episode? I am very interested in how that will go over for him since his brothel was the one they raided but I take it that they bring him to Cersi since they also showed the two sitting down talking.

Hey I forgot to ask this but where are the dire wolves. I am really shocked we haven't seen Ghost yet but just wondering if I forgot something.

Don't think you missed anything. They are just saving CGI money until one of them plays a more prominent role in the story.

Summer gets to miss the whole season with Bran I imagine... Shaggy Dog wherever Rickon went. Nymeria is running loose somewhere. It's really just Ghost (and I suppose dream-Nymeria) we're missing.

There is something important with Gray Scale that I can't put my finger on for sure. Something to do with the wights or the Drowned God perhaps.

I do think that Stannis, in the books, may be about to gain a numerical advantage to put him more on par with TV show Stannis (who may be about to lose a lot to the winter). If Davos were to find Rickon soon that could be a game changer, and things were not running smoothly for the Boltons and Freys the last time we saw them in Winterfell in DWD.

I doubt Davos finds Rickon before things come to a head between Stannis and the Boltons. GRRM has said that he had to cut the battle for Wingerfell out of DWD at the last minute. I am pretty sure that the battle will happen within the first few chapters of WoW.

I am not so sure Greyscale is as key as you think. Maybe so. It does seem to be more important in the show as compared to the books.

I agree with redson something is up with grey scale the show has put to much emphasis on it for it to be nothing IMO. I guess there is only Ghost I forgot Bran was cut out this season. Ghost is with Jon at Castle Black though right?

I agree with redson something is up with grey scale the show has put to much emphasis on it for it to be nothing IMO. I guess there is only Ghost I forgot Bran was cut out this season. Ghost is with Jon at Castle Black though right?
Yes I don't recall seeing him yet this season though.

I doubt Davos finds Rickon before things come to a head between Stannis and the Boltons. GRRM has said that he had to cut the battle for Wingerfell out of DWD at the last minute. I am pretty sure that the battle will happen within the first few chapters of WoW.

I am not so sure Greyscale is as key as you think. Maybe so. It does seem to be more important in the show as compared to the books.
Thats because in the books there is the Grey Plague which is a worse disease and is much faster acting than Grey Scale. They will probably combine the two for the show.

I can't stand Daenerys, most annoying character on the show easily.

I can't stand Daenerys, most annoying character on the show easily.
They have really started to white wash her from the book version. In the books she is more concerned about taking back what is hers with "fire and blood" and that is her driving force not trying to help the regular folk as they have tried to portray her this season.

I'm interested in how the Stannis stuff plays out. In the books I feel like Stannis is going to be successful in his Northern campaign. I'm not saying he lives but I do think he helps beat back the Boltons and somehow reunite the North.

On the show, they portray Stannis as such a heavy favorite that I can't help but feel like he is heading for a pretty big loss.

I'm interested in how the Stannis stuff plays out. In the books I feel like Stannis is going to be successful in his Northern campaign. I'm not saying he lives but I do think he helps beat back the Boltons and somehow reunite the North.

On the show, they portray Stannis as such a heavy favorite that I can't help but feel like he is heading for a pretty big loss.

They missed the point of Stannis by doing that as well. He is supposed to be the underdog in everything and feel slighted. It shows how his will is iron and that he will break before bending. That is what drives him to lay claim to the Iron Throne even though he has the worst odds And what makes him march on Winterfell when he has the smaller army and its snowing its ass off.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
They have really started to white wash her from the book version. In the books she is more concerned about taking back what is hers with "fire and blood" and that is her driving force not trying to help the regular folk as they have tried to portray her this season.

And she's naked all the time in the books!

They missed the point of Stannis by doing that as well. He is supposed to be the underdog in everything and feel slighted. It shows how his will is iron and that he will break before bending. That is what drives him to lay claim to the Iron Throne even though he has the worst odds And what makes him march on Winterfell when he has the smaller army and its snowing its ass off.

The only time they showed him as a underdog is when he went to the Iron Bank.

I agree that Stannis will be mostly victorious in his northern campaign as well. GRRM has portrayed him as being in dire circumstances. He has lost a ton of men. They are out of food. Some are resorting to cannibalism. They are snowed in and stuck in a village that is a mile or 2 away from Winterfell. But, Stannis is a master strategist and war general. Additionally, the reader knows that the Boltons and Freys have the Manderlys with them and that the Manderlys are only pretending to be allied with the Boltons/Freys. We, also, can't forget that the Boltons/Freys comprise some of the most evil characters in the books, and it seems likely that they will eventually get what they deserve. I think it is safe to assume that Stannis will gain the upper hand.

I am wondering where Stannis will go from there. Will he eventually be killed off, removing the last Baratheon claimant to the throne? Or, will he eventually put aside his pride and feelings of entitlement in order to ally with other characters who are working to save Westeros from the White Walkers? Or, maybe something else entirely happens with his character.

IMO, he really is one of the most interesting characters in the books. I really didn't appreciate this until I noted the changes that they have made to his character in the show. I'm not crazy about what HBO has done with him.

I agree that Stannis will be mostly victorious in his northern campaign as well. GRRM has portrayed him as being in dire circumstances. He has lost a ton of men. They are out of food. Some are resorting to cannibalism. They are snowed in and stuck in a village that is a mile or 2 away from Winterfell. But, Stannis is a master strategist and war general. Additionally, the reader knows that the Boltons and Freys have the Manderlys with them and that the Manderlys are only pretending to be allied with the Boltons/Freys. We, also, can't forget that the Boltons/Freys comprise some of the most evil characters in the books, and it seems likely that they will eventually get what they deserve. I think it is safe to assume that Stannis will gain the upper hand.

I am wondering where Stannis will go from there. Will he eventually be killed off, removing the last Baratheon claimant to the throne? Or, will he eventually put aside his pride and feelings of entitlement in order to ally with other characters who are working to save Westeros from the White Walkers? Or, maybe something else entirely happens with his character.

IMO, he really is one of the most interesting characters in the books. I really didn't appreciate this until I noted the changes that they have made to his character in the show. I'm not crazy about what HBO has done with him.
Don't forget that the Umbers that the Boltons have with them might turn on them as well since they are playing both sides right now and if Stannis gains the upper hand they could join with the other half of their house supporting Stannis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT