ADVERTISEMENT

Fly Fishing at Beaver's Bend

modernarchitex

All-American
Feb 9, 2009
My wife and I are heading down to Beaver's Bend between Christmas and New Years, I booked a guide for a half day on the Lower Mountain Fork River. I haven't been fly fishing in almost ten years, and never in Oklahoma. Anyone been to that area? I know they stock it, but does anyone have any tips?

Modern, It's been too long since I fished it to give you any speific advice other than I love it. Great idea to get a guide, especially the first day or two of your trip, and that will help you the rest of the time find fish and know what to throw at them. I thought there was a thread on Beavers bend from last year, but I couldn't find it easily.

Please send a trip report when you get back and good luck!
tcp

TCP,
We had an incredible time. The first day we had a guide through beaver's bend fly fishing shop, right on the river. The guides were great, they put us right on some fish and we were catching within half an hour. I was surprised by the number of people there during the weekdays, but I guess that's the way it is with holidays.

Anyways, we caught plenty of fish of all different sizes. We caught some fish that I would consider very big, but again I'm newbie so they may not have been that impressive. I'm definitely already looking into my return trip.

Architex, Good to hear you had a great time! It has always been a fun place for me. Trophies are in the eye of the beholder, and I love catching trout on light tackle. My go to rod for even some good sized rivers in Colorado is a little 7,6 ft 4 wt. I built. on smaller streams, I use down to a 2 wt rig a whole lot which makes even a 10 inch trout into a very fun fight. Anything over 16 inches is a nice trout for sure. Did you keep any for a meal? I do catch and release except for 2 trout on the day we want to have them for supper. (Well up in the high country of CO, small stream brook trout are often way over crowded and all you can eat- great for breakfast!) (I haven't gone to the 0 wt rods yet but thinking about it....)

Thanks for the report! Gets my interest up to get back up that way soon.

We didn't actually keep any to eat. We stayed in the Blue Zones and so it was all catch and release but it was a fantastic time. You should definitely get out there, we fished with 5 wt, so I can only imagine fighting some of these big guys on a 4 wt. It would be a heck of a time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT