ADVERTISEMENT

Education??

86Poke

Starter
Gold Member
Oct 19, 2004
Didn't want this buried in another thread.

Why is there such a big difference in student success rates in public education? They have the same teachers. They have same opportunities and resources at the school.

My opinion.....student choices.

I have seen students from all walks of life succeed and fail academically. The difference being attitude of the student. Which is a choice. Not always an easy choice, but a choice. Choice to do the homework or not. Choice to participate in classroom discussions or not.

Just an opinion from someone who allowed to make choices from an early age. Some were good. Some were bad.(and by bad, I mean really bad) But most were indifferent. But I always owned up to the choices I made.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

All kids are different, but some of the parents suck. Some of these kids are beyond discipline, especially from the liberal, "you can't get on a child for not wanting to learn, you might hurt his/her feelings" or "all kids can be the same, they just have to be handled differently". 3-4 freaking lesson plans, for each subject, then breaking them up into 3-4 different groups with only a teacher and an aid, maybe an aid, is total BS. Kids need to be taught, at home and school, that you're their to learn and f-ing off is not an option.

An example of the BS is last year my wife had a girl in her class who was disruptive. She left her seat and walked up to my wife, while she was teaching, and asked if she could go get something and do something else. My wife, very kindly, said "no" and asked her to please sit down. The girl went home and told her 22 yr old single mom that the teacher was bullying her. A meeting was set up with the principal, my wife and the mom. The principal caved, told the mom that my wife would document "instances" when her child was upset and they would evaluate. This, along with all the other shit she has to do. The mom gave a victory smirk toward my wife and left. Later, we heard that this mom was one of the meanest and bullying people thay knew.

We've decided a career change will happen when our last child graduates from OSU next spring.

There is very little parent responsibility required in public schools these days. My wife had a mom tell her one time "whatever they get at school should be enough. I don't have time to help them at home." That, in a nutshell, is the problem with public education.

Originally posted by TPOKE:
All kids are different, but some of the parents suck. Some of these kids are beyond discipline, especially from the liberal, "you can't get on a child for not wanting to learn, you might hurt his/her feelings" or "all kids can be the same, they just have to be handled differently". 3-4 freaking lesson plans, for each subject, then breaking them up into 3-4 different groups with only a teacher and an aid, maybe an aid, is total BS. Kids need to be taught, at home and school, that you're their to learn and f-ing off is not an option.

An example of the BS is last year my wife had a girl in her class who was disruptive. She left her seat and walked up to my wife, while she was teaching, and asked if she could go get something and do something else. My wife, very kindly, said "no" and asked her to please sit down. The girl went home and told her 22 yr old single mom that the teacher was bullying her. A meeting was set up with the principal, my wife and the mom. The principal caved, told the mom that my wife would document "instances" when her child was upset and they would evaluate. This, along with all the other shit she has to do. The mom gave a victory smirk toward my wife and left. Later, we heard that this mom was one of the meanest and bullying people thay knew.

We've decided a career change will happen when our last child graduates from OSU next spring.

Sickening to read, but not a surprise. Why would you expect a school administrator to "show some spine" when it's easier to cop-out and throw the teacher under the bus?

Originally posted by JimmyBob:
Originally posted by TPOKE:

An example of the BS is last year my wife had a girl in her class who was disruptive. She left her seat and walked up to my wife, while she was teaching, and asked if she could go get something and do something else. My wife, very kindly, said "no" and asked her to please sit down. The girl went home and told her 22 yr old single mom that the teacher was bullying her. A meeting was set up with the principal, my wife and the mom. The principal caved, told the mom that my wife would document "instances" when her child was upset and they would evaluate. This, along with all the other shit she has to do. The mom gave a victory smirk toward my wife and left. Later, we heard that this mom was one of the meanest and bullying people they knew.

Sickening to read, but not a surprise. Why would you expect a school administrator to "show some spine" when it's easier to cop-out and throw the teacher under the bus?
You're spot on jimmy. Administrators are all about self preservation and mad parents will cause more trouble than a teacher who needs a job. A few years ago my wife watched the kindergarten teacher being ripped to shreds by a mom who's kid showed up at home without his coat, which left school with. The principal stood there watching and the teacher asked him for help. He responded that he wanted to see how she handled it.

TPoke - Sorry your experience with school administrators have been so poor. My experiences with principals and school administrators in my local public school has generally been very positive ... and I see and hear them being very supportive of their teachers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT