ADVERTISEMENT

Driving Route Question

Chillwell

Heisman Winner
Jun 16, 2001
If given the choice, do you prefer #1 or #2? In both circumstances there will not be a big difference in time either way...maybe a max of one or two minutes:
  1. Five miles in distance, taking the side streets/back roads, must go through about 20-25 stoplights and stop signs.
  2. Eight miles in distance, taking the freeways, must go through 5 stoplights and stop signs.

Unless there are mitigating circumstances like driving near a school, when school is ending or a likely traffic backup on the freeway, I almost always go with #2. My wife on the other hand almost always chooses #1.

25 stops in 5 miles would be absolutely insane. 5 stops per mile.. Or every ~1,050 feet. If you caught them all at the wrong time, that could take you well over half an hour. No thanks.

If given the choice, do you prefer #1 or #2? In both circumstances there will not be a big difference in time either way...maybe a max of one or two minutes:
  1. Five miles in distance, taking the side streets/back roads, must go through about 20-25 stoplights and stop signs.
  2. Eight miles in distance, taking the freeways, must go through 5 stoplights and stop signs.

Unless there are mitigating circumstances like driving near a school, when school is ending or a likely traffic backup on the freeway, I almost always go with #2. My wife on the other hand almost always chooses #1.

I'll drive 4 times the distance to avoid traffic.

Thanks for the responses.

This is just one of those little things that my wife and I do that annoy each other. She would much rather take the side streets, no matter how many stop we must go through. I would much rather go twice the distance, if I can get on a freeway and go.

BTW, I am probably exaggerating the number of stops on the side streets; I just get easily annoyed by them.

I've lived in California now for 15+ years, and I love almost everything about it here, except the traffic. It's brutal and can be absolutely mind numbing.

What part of California? I don't even have a want to see anything but the giant redwoods there. Not sure why. I would love to see Oregon and Washington though.

Just returned from a trip to Northern California....I have never been to a more beautiful place....simply amazing.

When traveling long distances I have 4 rules I like to follow:

1. Stay on the interstate as much as possible
2. Always have my Garmin
3. Never get below a half a tank
4. Keep a Diet Coke in the cup holder

I drive which ever way I can keep moving. So if it is rush hour and I know the traffic on the freeway is going to be backed up I'll take the side streets. Even if it ends up being the same time I'd rather be moving.

If I am in familiar territory, it is always #2.

If I am out of town and unfamiliar with the freeway system, I sometimes will choose option two because there are more landmarks and intersections to check that I am still on the right path.

I was in Orlando not long ago. When I went on the freeways, I managed to miss my exit several times. Then I decided to just take Universal blvd and International Blvd pretty much everywhere.

Whichever is faster at that time. I check Google maps on my phone before going to or leaving work each day to figure out the best route then (and for that matter, my phone generally warns me when the normal route is materially slower than normal).

But, on vacations or in new areas, I'll do the same as JD.

What part of California? I don't even have a want to see anything but the giant redwoods there. Not sure why. I would love to see Oregon and Washington though.
I lived in Los Angeles, right on the LA/Burbank border for my first 14 years out here; but a few months ago, we sold our place and moved about 60 miles east of LA, near my mother- and father-in-law...in what's known locally as the Inland Empire. The IE does have a few nice areas, but generally is considered a poorer area (and "poorer" may be a generous term). Riverside is pretty nice area of the IE, Loma Linda...Redlands...Rancho Cucamonga are some other really nice areas out here, but much of the IE is pretty sad...lots of poor Latinos, white trash, gang problems & copious amounts of Meth. San Bernardino, near where I currently live, has to be one of the saddest places in the U.S. The LA Times just ran a feature on the place a couple of days ago, "Broken City"...just depressing. (link: http://graphics.latimes.com/san-bernardino/)

I'm working in the area, but my wife still works in LA. Over the next year or so, we plan on finding a place somewhere in middle between Riverside/San Bernardino & LA.

Still, for me, the great thing about California, a person here is usually within an hour or two of the mountains (hiking & skiing), the beach, the desert, and amazing agriculture. (Ok, this is where I get really hippy-liberal-wholefoodish...but the farmers' markets here are great...tremendous fresh fruits, nuts & vegetables. My wife and I try to hit a farmers' market at least a couple of times a month.) On top of that, I love the diversity here. I love meeting and working with people of different backgrounds and cultures, and we've got all types here. This also means the food choices and things to do are almost endless.

Just one recent example, about three weeks ago, my wife and I met up with my son's best friend and his parents (Dad is this guy: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0131541/ ...who doesn't love Summer School?) at the Kidspace Children's Museum in Pasadena. And who else happened to be there with their kids?...Gwen Stefani & Gavin Rossdale. And about a year before that, we saw Claire from Modern Family at the same place with her kids. I realize many of you wouldn't care, but I thought it was a cool deal, seeing them in the real world, acting like everyday parents.

Anyway, I really like it out here...like many, thus the traffic problems...and it is mind numbing.

Last edited:

My monthly Toll Tag bill proves it. I feel like I live on the George Bush Turnpike some months but I'd rather pay money to drive 80 on a perfect road than stop and go through stop lights for free.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT