ADVERTISEMENT

Dave Schultz

AC_Exotic

MegaPoke is insane
Jul 31, 2014
Parts Unknown
www.clinteastwood.net
Watching the movie Foxcatcher (I know about the inaccuracies) I was reminded how much as a kid I was a fan of the older Schultz when he wrestled his freshman year at OSU (and how much I disliked him when he concluded his career at OU).

What was the story on why he transferred to Zero-U? I'm certain some of you insiders have the scoop.

Sad end to a life.

Watching the movie Foxcatcher (I know about the inaccuracies) I was reminded how much as a kid I was a fan of the older Schultz when he wrestled his freshman year at OSU (and how much I disliked him when he concluded his career at OU).

What was the story on why he transferred to Zero-U? I'm certain some of you insiders have the scoop.

Sad end to a life.
This was before I started following, but I believe he transferred to ucla to join his brother and then ucla dropped their program. Then they headed to ou. Possibly due to people at their weights.

Reactions: oberebo
Kind of interesting that they showed Mark beating OSU star Mike Sheets in the 1988 trials, but didn't show Dave getting whipped by Kenny Monday.

Mark always seemed like a strange dude back in the day. They didn't capture his weirdness at all in the movie.

I got the impression that Mark was pretty weird in the movie. I thought that Mark Ruffalo really captured Dave. I thought it was uncanny how he reminded me of how Dave moved in casual moments. I never really followed Mark as I only saw him in bedlam duals and the Olympic competition in 1984.

I was a little surprised how they did not cover the 1984 Olympics when both Dave and Mark injured opponents and it was quite the controversy at the time.

They had to have an extra ref for Mark and Dave's matches going forward. Mark was using a ju-jitsu move called a kimura that can hyperextend the elbow if the other person doesn't respond correctly (or tap, in MMA fighting). It was an illegal move, and Mark's lucky not to have been disqualified from the Olympics. I think Dave's opponent just got injured, or at least I don't remember anything mentioned as an overtly illegal move to injure his Yugoslavian opponent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT