ADVERTISEMENT

Compound Bow help

SquatchinPoke

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2021
Alright I let my first arrow loose the other day and I am hooked.

I was told to go to Prague, OK and buy Mathews bow and have him set me up. Any of you ever dealt with them? Davenports I think is the name.

Thanks and happy 4th.

Not sure about them but as long as you go to a reasonable shop to help you and buy a decent bow, there is very little to go wrong. There are so many good bows out there but Matthews is one of the best

I bought my first Mathews from Davenports. It was a Mathews Reezen and I still have it as a backup. I shoot a Mathews V3X now and to be honest, it’s not much different than the Reezen from 2009. Mathews makes very good bows, but just like rifles, you can get a good bow that can do the same thing for much cheaper. I’d get your draw length measured and buy a used one off of Facebook marketplace for a starter bow. Find one fully outfitted with sights and a rest and go from there.

Ya I don't plan to spend more then a grand on my first bow. My BIL is now goating me into with because I have a nice buck on one of my cams and he keeps telling me oh that will be dead by gun season. I would just love to turkey and deer hunt at the same time.

Also thank dudes that made me feel good about using them. I have good things about them and just wanted another source.

I have shot Mathews for the last 6 years, and bought it "used" from a competitive archer (3 D mostly) but it was only 6 months old and he had it dialed in like a pinpoint. for about 2/3 of what all that top line gear would cost new. He changes bows probably three times a year and shoots for a few sponsors. That made it a good deal.

But in the 47 years I've been bowhunting, I've had good luck with BOWTECH, Hoyt, PSE, Darton, DIAMOND, etc. Several newer bow companies out there with good stuff now as well. But so much you hear is just marketing hype. Every major maker now has great bows, and some that are a notch down from their flagship bow(s) will do just as well for a lot less. You'll likely enjoy archery and bowhunting, and can upgrade your equipment as you learn what you like and need.

Independent from the brand, I personally have found I like a bow that is smooth at draw, has a firm stop and short valley, is exactly the right draw length of what I would need hunting in a treestand (note: on the range, you can get full extension and more precise draw form, but in the treestand or blind, you practical draw length is a bit shorter, about 3/4 inch for me. Better to be a fraction short than long. Your mechanical release will tend to shorten you draw length so measure Draw with your hunting release being used.
Speed is over-valued and sort of a trap. In my experience, In most bows, too short plus very fast means less forgiving/harder to shoot accurately and consistently. I like a bow about 34" long these days, but maybe down to 32, not shorter. Personal preference though If you go to a well stocked Pro Shop, you might can pull and shoot several brands and models, and see what feels best to you. A good pro shop will set everything up for you, including draw length, sight in your pins, etc. Also they can help you with the right draw weight (do not over weight yourself- more is often a liability) and sselect/tune your arrows to get the most out of your rig. You can get a nice bow well equipped for a grand if you look. Lots of good choices out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: SquatchinPoke
I have shot Mathews for the last 6 years, and bought it "used" from a competitive archer (3 D mostly) but it was only 6 months old and he had it dialed in like pintpoint. for about 2/3 of what all that top line gear would cost new. He changes bows probably three times a year and shoots for a few sponsors. That made it a good deal.

But in the 47 years I've been bowhunting, I've had good luck with BOWTECH, Hoyt, PSE, Darton, DIAMOND, etc. Several newer bow companies out there with good stuff now as well. But so much you hear is just marketing hype. Every major maker now has great bows, and some that are a notch down from their flagship bow(s) will do just as well for a lot less. You'll likely enjoy archery and bowhunting, and can upgrade your equipment as you learn what you like and need.

Independent from the brand, I personally have found I like a bow that is smooth at draw, has a firm stop and short valley, is exactly the right draw length of what I would need hunting in a treestand (note: on the range, you can get full extension and more precise draw form, but in the treestand or blind, you practical draw length is a bit shorter, about 3/4 inch for me. Better to be a fraction short than long. Your mechanical release will tend to shorten you draw length so measure Draw with your hunting release being used.
Speed is over-valued and sort of a trap. In my experience, In most bows, too short plus very fast means less forgiving/harder to shoot accurately and consistently. I like a bow about 34" long these days, but maybe down to 32, not shorter. Personal preference though If you go to a well stocked Pro Shop, you might can pull and shoot several brands and models, and see what feels best to you. A good pro shop will set everything up for you, including draw length, sight in your pins, etc. Also they can help you with the right draw weight (do not over weight yourself- more is often a liability) and sselect/tune your arrows to get the most out of your rig. You can get a nice bow well equipped for a grand if you look. Lots of good choices out there.
I think with how I love hunting alone bow hunting is going to be my jam. Thanks man very helpful!

Ok update. Now I am trusting you guys will help me keep this quite from the wife. I bought the Matthews MXR today. I freaking got it all set up with the guy this morning. I love this. I have one month to practice now. I have my tree stand set up and two 300 lb feeders going back by it. I only spent 700 on the bow but I love this thing. If I get Bigfoot with a bow holy smokes.

Reactions: panhndlpoke
I just hope this doesn't go like my golf game where I just go through arrows but hell how many animals could I see in a day lol

I just hope this doesn't go like my golf game where I just go through arrows but hell how many animals could I see in a day lol
I've gone thru 4 in a day, but I missed two different tom turkeys and a yote. Pretty easy to do. The 4th got my buck that day. Lots of movement from wild game!
That said, I encourage you to have a very high bar for your shooting accuracy, yardage judgement, and which shots you take (practice, practice). Bowhunting ethically is so important, but I know I'm preaching to the choir.

Last edited:
I am nailing Nelly the Deer at 22 yards. Had coffee and loosed some arrows this morning. I am trying to practice morning and night. I am hitting the heart or just off it.

Week before hunting season I want to take the target and practice loosing from the tree stand a few times.

Are you hunting out if a tree stand?

If you are, you need to be practicing the same way. Your yardages etc will be different so try to practice the same way. Make sure you know 15-20-25-30-35…etc and how the elevation affects your shot.

Otherwise get it!!!!

Sounds like your on your way to some venison! Shooting: Panhandle is exactly right. Practice at the elevations and shooting angles you will encounter. I have a treestand on a severe slope and a 25 yard shot is very difficult nearly shooting straight down or up.

Pick a spot and breath.
If you have one, get a one inch or so orange (or any color) dot to put on the target, and literally aim for the center of that. Used to I'd hear guys bragging about hitting a paper plate most of the time, and that was good enough. It is not, unless your hunting elephants. Aim small, miss small.

Last edited:
Yes, Next week I move to shooting off the ladder in the back yard. I swear my neighbors have to think I am a either a green beret or a serial killer. lol

I think this will be one of the cooler things I have ever done in life if I pull it off. Might take a year or two but so much more enjoyable than a gun.

I filled all the feeders and then ranged the whole property as I usually don't since I have been hunting with a gun and nothing is more then 200 yard shot. My stand is 22 yards to the feeder but that is 18 feet up so yeah I will need to see how that works.

Its just so fun popping arrows off through out the day.

Is your mower camophlaged? It's good to practice just like you'll be hunting.... ;)
Town Tom
be quiet canadian GIF by CBC

Got the bow all tuned up and bought three new arrows for the season.

GIF by A&E

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT