ADVERTISEMENT

Churches and tax-exempt status

BIGOSUFAN

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Aug 7, 2001
Upper Arlington, OH
You know this is the next frontier. I'll put the over/under at five years for them coming after the tax-exempt status of the Catholic Church and other churches that do not approve of so-called "gay marriage."

Reactions: Bitter Creek
You know this is the next frontier. I'll put the over/under at five years for them coming after the tax-exempt status of the Catholic Church and other churches that do not approve of so-called "gay marriage."
Legalizing gay marriage is the first step in the master plan for the government to to this. The libs all scream for separation of church and state, but in the end the man will demand all religions to marry gays. If the tax exempt status is pulled, the backlash is something they won't be ready for, financially and physically. I couldn't give a rip about someone's sexuality, but I'm tired of this administration telling me what I should and should not accept.

Yeh, I think a large number of people in this country side in the "don't care" category of gay marriage. That group is being read as a "for" group which isn't exactly the same thing. When they start forcing (more widespread) churches to perform the weddings, private businesses to provide the services, etc, you will see people move quickly to the "against" camp.

Reactions: MegaPoke

It might, but you may also be shocked that the vast majority of gays who want to get married, actually just wanted that - to get married.

I think it's healthy to compare the martyrdom of ancient Christians (public torture, execution, animal mauling, dispossession, slavery, etc.) with the current environment (a potential threat to tax exempt status for assisting political candidates.) In what country, at what time, have Christians had it better than here and now?

How does gay marriage threaten tax exempt status of churches?

Serious question. Has that happened in other countries that have legalized gay marriage? I honestly don't know. I looked for some kind of answer and found this terrifying list of disasters we can expect from these previous examples...

It might, but you may also be shocked that the vast majority of gays who want to get married, actually just wanted that - to get married.

The gay version of "marriage" is very different than the historical version of marriage which has been the foundation of Western civilization.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto...mous_will_straight_couples_go_monogamish.html

In Denmark, their parliament voted to force churches to conduct gay "weddings."

In England a gay couple sued the Church of England for the right to vote.

In Canada a preacher was charged with a "hate crime" for teaching what the Bible says about sodomy.

Serious question. Has that happened in other countries that have legalized gay marriage? I honestly don't know. I looked for some kind of answer and found this terrifying list of disasters we can expect from these previous examples...
http://www.christianitytoday.com/gl...-court-states-cant-ban-same-sex-marriage.html

Good read. Some supreme court justices believe the tax exempt status issue will be brought before them.
A lot of organizations and charities will suffer if it ever happens. Is obama ready fore that burden?
On another issue, look what he tried to push through with obama care. Religious hospitals who didn't perform abortions would lose their tax exempt status.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/gl...-court-states-cant-ban-same-sex-marriage.html

Good read. Some supreme court justices believe the tax exempt status issue will be brought before them.
A lot of organizations and charities will suffer if it ever happens. Is obama ready fore that burden?
On another issue, look what he tried to push through with obama care. Religious hospitals who didn't perform abortions would lose their tax exempt status.

Religious schools will be targeted for not offering housing on campus for same sex couples, or giving job opportunities to those who have chosen the homosexual lifestyle.

Pell grants etc, that lessen the costs of tuition will be withheld from prospective students at schools that continue to adhere to deeply held religious principles.

Notre Dame, Baylor, Dallas Baptist -- will be targeted.

Religious schools will be targeted for not offering housing on campus for same sex couples, or giving job opportunities to those who have chosen the homosexual lifestyle.

Pell grants etc, that lessen the costs of tuition will be withheld from prospective students at schools that continue to adhere to deeply held religious principles.

Notre Dame, Baylor, Dallas Baptist -- will be targeted.

Somehow, I have a feeling they'll survive and Christ will still reign.

Somehow, I have a feeling they'll survive and Christ will still reign.

No doubt. Just in some cases, things are going to get much more difficult for Bible adhering institutions.

Four year religious schools are either going to have to conform or become a thing of the past. I don't see that seminaries in the near future will be negatively affected.

From my perspective, none of this took God by surprise.

Shouldn't take Christians by surprise either, Scripture has always said they would be strangers and aliens in this world. Those that tried to drape their Christianity in the American flag made a major mistake.

Reactions: Ostate4life
Look into the abuses of the 501(c)(4) tax exemption. If there isn't even enough political will to clean that up, your church is safe.

Look into the abuses of the 501(c)(4) tax exemption. If there isn't even enough political will to clean that up, your church is safe.

No problem with that, if they cross both sides of the street.

Bye-bye Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

But we all know it won't stop there. In fact, some progressives are already calling to revoke tax exempt status of churches and other non-profits.

http://www.youngcons.com/time-op-ed-calls-for-all-churches-to-lose-tax-exempt-status/

That didn't take long.

No problem with that, if they cross both sides of the street.

Bye-bye Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

But we all know it won't stop there. In fact, some progressives are already calling to revoke tax exempt status of churches and other non-profits.

http://www.youngcons.com/time-op-ed-calls-for-all-churches-to-lose-tax-exempt-status/

That didn't take long.
My point was that if we don't stop organizations from blatantly breaking the tax exemption law there, mainly because the the TAX sacred cow/third rail, what makes you think the political environment in the US will ever come around to ending tax exemptions for the most ingrained institution that we have?

Reactions: davidallen
My point was that if we don't stop organizations from blatantly breaking the tax exemption law there, mainly because the the TAX sacred cow/third rail, what makes you think the political environment in the US will ever come around to ending tax exemptions for the most ingrained institution that we have?

I don't disagree at all.

Gay marriage becomes legal and there's an immediate call to end the tax exempt status for churches. How screwed up is that? I've been Catholic my whole life and seen many instances where they refuse to marry their own because they aren't in good standing with the church. Gays that have never stepped foot in a church and denied Jesus their whole lives will all the sudden want to be married in churches just to be jerks.

Reactions: AC_Exotic
Hey, and here is a picture of The Pope (the previous one), made from condoms -- tolerance and respect WOO HOO! From the NY Times; the same NY Times that refused to run a cartoon of Mohammed from Charlie Hebdo because of its policy agaisnt running portrayals that might offend:

29artsbeat-benedict-blog480.jpg

Hillary Clinton on Friday:

"While we celebrate today, our work won’t be finished until every American can not only marry, but live, work, pray, learn and raise a family free from discrimination and prejudice."

What you do think when Hillary included the word "pray" here. Quite obvious what's coming down the pike.

Reactions: Bitter Creek
Yeh, I think a large number of people in this country side in the "don't care" category of gay marriage. That group is being read as a "for" group which isn't exactly the same thing. When they start forcing (more widespread) churches to perform the weddings, private businesses to provide the services, etc, you will see people move quickly to the "against" camp.

Exactky why I don't think this is going to happen. It'll be about as difficult as passing gun control laws IMO.

Reactions: poke2001
Exactky why I don't think this is going to happen. It'll be about as difficult as passing gun control laws IMO.

I think you are right. You will have some people on the far left push for it, just like with gun control, and you will even see some locations experience it, but not widespread.

For the record, in most instances, it would be a bad business decision to refuse service...but private businesses should absolutely be allowed to do so if they want. They shouldn't even have to cite a reason...and churches shouldn't have to marry anyone they don't want to (hell, most would require you to be a member first anyway, correct?). The law should only be extended to government (I.e. A judge cannot refuse to marry gay people).

We're up to two. It is only hundreds of calls away from equaling the support of such realistic policies as basic universal income and flat taxes.

This is how things start. An opinion piece here, another one there, then Hillary mentions it in a campaign speech and it takes off.

1. Joe Sixpack shrugged and said why not? when faced with the gay marriage question. Joe Sixpack is not anti church. He will not likewise support attacks on church tax code or other bully tactics.

2. Too much too soon on something people really aren't passionate about. This is the Sandyhook gun control debacle all over again if they aggressively go after churches. And it could backfire on the warm afterglow of the gay revolution in general as most Americans are ready to think of gay couples as families but will associate them with attacks on churches.

Dumb. Overreaching. Won't work.

Reactions: AC_Exotic
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT