ADVERTISEMENT

Chiappa Triple Threat

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
Wow. People are downright angry about this gun on some message boards...

The price pisses folks off....they see "Chiappa" and "made in Turkey"...and their little closed minds just start screaming nonsense.

I was sort of one of those when I first saw this...then I handled one at a gun show and was impressed. It's a drilling really (look up "drilling"...doesn't have to have rifle barrel, just three barrels) and for the price you are getting a decent deal (I say that knowing that the MSRP is $1600, but you will pay less if you are patient and actually want one of these beasts).

So I bought one. I got a "deal", I paid about 400 less due to what I perceive was an error in listing on Gunbroker. Maybe it wasn't. Who knows. But I'm happy and that's that.

This thing handles well for what it is...and what the hell is that exactly? It's a novelty. Potential home defense. Sure, you can buy a pump or semi auto, but I've got three barrels that WILL fire (unless I'm just so damned unlucky that the trigger fails, if that happens, I'm SOL). 18.5 inch barrel so I can swing it up quick or fire from the hip like grinning idiot.

I shot at a target yesterday from 20 yards. All 3 barrels on the same hold spread the shot consistently over the area I was shooting at, so barrel regulation is good. You can read the reviews online, but I'm not paid or coerced in any way to say that I really dig this gun. The rear of the stock comes off with a tool quickly and I have a pistol grip hell firing shorty.

It comes in a nice case that the gun fits into when broken down. 5 different Rem chokes for the three barrels. Tools for the chokes and the rear stock. Again, satisfied.

I haven't researched this fully, but it appears with the "x-caliber" inserts, I could potentially have a gun that is more like the drilling of old. The one issue with that is the chambers fire In a set order, so planning on the inserts is a must. I would put the rifle barrel insert in the top chamber. But it fires last, there's no way to defeat that. Guess I would just put in my dummy shells in the other chambers and then Click, click BOOM. Not really practical, but I have another gun that fills that role anyway so oh well.

These things probably won't sell enough to justify Chiappa continuing them forever. And that usually leads to a gun becoming more valuable over time for the novelty. Whether or not that happens is anyone's guess. But I'm enjoying this silly bastard.

Hmmmmm....

Update: I had a split in the recoil pad, nothing major but I just slapped down a considerable amount of money for a new firearm and it should be NEW without defects.

Sent an email to Chiappa...and they made me send in the receipt for the gun and my address twice...then stated they "don't have any recoil pads in stock at this time but will send me one"....huh? Whuzzah? Bullshit.

Now they will get a phone call. See, this is why I like buying Henry guns. You don't get this bs, you have an issue and they go "oh hey! Let us have that back and we will fix it up muy pronto!"

I'm glad it was just this. I imagine if it had something really wrong I would be hosed for a good bit. And looking at the manual, they state they want you to take the gun back to the gunshop you bought it from first prior to contacting them. Most other gun manuals are all about them wanting to be contacted.

Looks like a fun toy. It sounds pretty heavy so if you ran out of ammo, you could go all Louisville Slugger on them if you needed to.

Regarding the recoil pad, customer service is something some companies just don't put much premium on. Chiappa must be one of those companies

Had some time on the range the other day with this gun. Honestly, it's a mean bastard. But that's no secret lol. 12 gauges rule when it comes to taking home protection serious.

Shooting a turkey load in this thing isn't for the faint of heart. 2 shot, 3 inch shell rated at 1500 fps....makes me a hip shooter. A break over is like a 30.06 bolt gun...nothing to stop the recoil except your bones and a piece of rubber (maybe).

These short barrels compound that issue. I will say I can fire this faster than my semi auto 12. Blasting off 3 turkey loads in rapid succession...I did it twice and I was done with that shit for the day.

It does what it's supposed to do and what it's capable of doing. Would love to be able to select the barrels (which would make the whole "inserts for rifle rounds" that Chiappa sells a little more appealing) but it's all good. I picked up the breacher chokes for it the other day. It looks mean as hell. I was going to trade it for some Ruger Vaqueros for CAS shooting, but I think I will sling this thing and hang it off the bed.

Anyone trying to break into my house would have an awful night....

Reactions: CrazyChuckCarbo
It's funny...you see pics of these on the internet here and there, but they really don't do it justice. In person, the wood is very nice, comparable to the walnut on my darker Henrys. I was told it was "Turkish walnut" (stands to reason, made by Akkar in Turkey).

Chiappa gets some crap kinda like Keltec, but they do throw out some decent looking guns I say. I'm still not sold on the Rhino, I am waiting for that one to have a few more years under its belt before I pass judgement.

I am hardly a gunsmith, but from what I have read it's difficult to regulate barrels on drillings and any double barrel guns. The fit and finish on this gun appears to be on par with other guns in it's class...it's not a gazillion dollar drilling or fancy double barrel Browning, but it isn't a "Maverick" either lol.

I have another gun I'm going to "review" on here soon. This next one will definitely turn some heads...when I get the parts this coming weekend, look for a post containing the letters "H" and "K" lol. I think you gun guys will definitely dig the hell out of this next one...Lord knows I need my head examined for the bankroll I dropped all over this next one. Yeesh...

I have gotten pretty thrifty on many things, but when it comes to guns...I turn into a slobbering fool...

When it comes to things that are built to kill other things, I don't require or ask for justification for their expense. Some cost more than others and oftentimes after shooting the more expensive one, it is clear where your extra coin went. I know some disagree with me, but in my experience high priced weapons are high priced for a reason.

I really enjoy using high quality guns, rods, reels, archery equipment, etc. as it adds to both the practicality, effectiveness but mostly the esthetics of the hunting or fishing trip. It's part of the joy to me.

Thank you.....I've just talked myself into a new flyrod!

Reactions: panhndlpoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT