ADVERTISEMENT

Canceled Directv

RussOSU87

Redshirt
Gold Member
Sep 2, 2001
That was a huge pain in the butt! There would be minutes of no conversation, I wonder if they were waiting me out for me to finally just say "forget it" and hang up. Just the cancelling process makes me hope that I can do with out their or Dish service from now on.

We are going to try going without a satellite provider and just use Netflix, Amazon or Hulu.

If we make this a permanent how can I watch OSU sports on the internet? We have season tickets to the home games but is there a site I can go to for away games?

Thanks

You may want to try Sling TV or you can buy an Amazon Fire Stick off Ebay, with Kodi 14.2 downloaded. The Fire Stick is enabled with Sling right off the bat, you simply get an account and pay the monthly fee.

There's hundreds of channels you can access through Kodi, including a number of sports channels. (I think the Fox Sports channels are on there and ESPN has a few channels available on Sling and through Kodi.)

Thanks for the information. I am hoping I can do this, friends and family are taking bets how long I can hold out. Lowest number I have heard so far is 24 hours. My wife is fine with it but I think she might be the one that bet I can't go 24 hours. When college football comes around I probably will break.

Nope. I enjoy my sports too much. I am happy to pay for the convenience of DirecTV.

I know virtually nothing about Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, etc. Do you have to have a box/stick for each tv? Does the tv have to be HD? Is there a subscription fee for each box/stick or can all operate on one account?

If it wasn't for sports I would have cut cable a long time ago but living in DFW I need Fox Sports Southwest. I watch easily 150+ Rangers/Mavs games combined through the year. I may not watch every pitch or dribble but they're on while I'm working or doing things around the house.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
With Amazon fire stick, all you need is a high speed internet connection and a Amazon account (which is free). But optionally you can pay the $99 ($79 on sale) and get a years worth of free 2 day delivery and access to Amazon "Prime" Video (which now includes some original programming like Bosch (based on the Harry Bosch novels.) I would call it a "Netflix Lite" with a pretty decent amount of choice. You get a "thumb" device you plug into an available HDMI port and a remote. If you buy much from Amazon, you may already have an Amazon Prime Account.

The "stick" can simply be unplugged and moved to any TV in the house, but if you want to access programs on more than one tv at a time, you would need to buy a separate unit for each tv. As I mentioned if the fire stick is downloaded with KODI (formerly XBMC) there's hundreds of channels you can access directly. The downside is that not all of them are in Hi-Def and there's no way to fast-forward, repeat or record. Some current "add-ons" available directly from their providers are straight from the Channels themselves. Here's an ebay ad for the typical Kodi installed Fire Stick (not endorsing this seller, just showing a representative sample of what's available): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Fire...318?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf5db6a76

But there's also some alternatives to services like Sling TV, which only has 15 channels including in their base subscription, but adding 5-8 channel packages cost an additional $5 per month. From KODI you can access "USTVNOW" for $19/month and get 28 cable and broadcast channels. https://www.ustvnow.com

I'm making the jump in the next two weeks or so and like many of you, if it wasn't for fear of losing my sports programming (primarily OSU) I would have kicked cable to the curb long ago. I'm hoping that the Fire Stick and Kodi approach is a viable option.

I have one of each and would say that the Amazon Fire Stick is better than the Roku.

I can vouch for how terrible of am experience it is to try and cancel DTV. They are a pain in the ass in retention. I cancelled to take on Google Fiber. They were calling me daily from different area codes for months. I finally told them it's harassment and to stop. For the most part they have.

Worse than DTV though was trying to cancel my Time Warner Internet service. The guy just could not understand why I wouldnt stay on board with an inferior product AND pay more!! Turned into a very heated discussion where all I would say over and over and over again was "cancel my service". Probably said it 10 times in a row before he finally said ok.

Reactions: Sebastian
I have worked in the tv world for years now and I have not paid a "subscription" for about 2 years. I use a roku box as my primary "source" for tv. I can watch all televised OSU games live for free but it takes leaning on friends and family to do so.

so go get your Roku box, plug it into your tv using hdmi. download any tv channel you can think of; history, discovery, espn, fox, cnn, you name it its most likely have an app. lets say you download fox sports and you click on it to open the app, guess what? There is just not that much "programming" on it that is free, if any at all. I call my one of my family or friends and say hey you have such and such cable company right? give me your username and password, I follow the instructions and boom, im watching live tv. yes you are using your friends and family but they are already paying for it and most of them feel like if I can get it as well then its more bang for the buck, sometimes a case of beer will suffice as well. It also doesn't cost them a penny to let you do this.

the idea of watching live tv for free is still kinda a myth. you can find stuff online from a European website like espn.eu but its not very good. Also keep in mind that any kind of antenna will work for your local channels, again ANY kind of antenna. you don't need a new "digital" antenna to get hd channels. our old rabbit ears work just fine as long as the signal is strong enough to receive the station signal, of course and most of them are.

I have my antenna hooked up for my locals (live tv and weather) and then my roku for anything else. my kids have Disney channel, cartoon network and I have channels like history, discovery, fox channels, fx, a&e, just about everything. the other thing I do is subscribe to Netflix and Hulu plus, those 2 together cost me about 15 bucks or so. then I will tell a buddy hey you can have my Netflix id and I want your cable id. now he gets free Netflix and I get free channels.

I also use what's called a chromecast. google it and find out if your mobile device will work with it, but the idea is that you can "mirror" whatever you are seeing on your phone will be displayed onto your tv. so I have aps like "popcorntime" and "showbox" on my phone. I can then download or stream whatever shows and movies that are available to my phone, activate my chromecast and then watch it right on my tv.

with all this being said (im sure its clear as mud), all of this takes a good wifi connection. I would suggest at least 10mps but that would be the least I would ever go.

any more questions feel free to ask, always happy to help a fellow poke out. I am the install coordinator for a major retailer in the KC metro area so any issues or questions you might have when it relates to tv or audio I can most likely answer for ya.

I have worked in the tv world for years now and I have not paid a "subscription" for about 2 years. I use a roku box as my primary "source" for tv. I can watch all televised OSU games live for free but it takes leaning on friends and family to do so.

so go get your Roku box, plug it into your tv using hdmi. download any tv channel you can think of; history, discovery, espn, fox, cnn, you name it its most likely have an app. lets say you download fox sports and you click on it to open the app, guess what? There is just not that much "programming" on it that is free, if any at all. I call my one of my family or friends and say hey you have such and such cable company right? give me your username and password, I follow the instructions and boom, im watching live tv. yes you are using your friends and family but they are already paying for it and most of them feel like if I can get it as well then its more bang for the buck, sometimes a case of beer will suffice as well. It also doesn't cost them a penny to let you do this.

the idea of watching live tv for free is still kinda a myth. you can find stuff online from a European website like espn.eu but its not very good. Also keep in mind that any kind of antenna will work for your local channels, again ANY kind of antenna. you don't need a new "digital" antenna to get hd channels. our old rabbit ears work just fine as long as the signal is strong enough to receive the station signal, of course and most of them are.

I have my antenna hooked up for my locals (live tv and weather) and then my roku for anything else. my kids have Disney channel, cartoon network and I have channels like history, discovery, fox channels, fx, a&e, just about everything. the other thing I do is subscribe to Netflix and Hulu plus, those 2 together cost me about 15 bucks or so. then I will tell a buddy hey you can have my Netflix id and I want your cable id. now he gets free Netflix and I get free channels.

I also use what's called a chromecast. google it and find out if your mobile device will work with it, but the idea is that you can "mirror" whatever you are seeing on your phone will be displayed onto your tv. so I have aps like "popcorntime" and "showbox" on my phone. I can then download or stream whatever shows and movies that are available to my phone, activate my chromecast and then watch it right on my tv.

with all this being said (im sure its clear as mud), all of this takes a good wifi connection. I would suggest at least 10mps but that would be the least I would ever go.

any more questions feel free to ask, always happy to help a fellow poke out. I am the install coordinator for a major retailer in the KC metro area so any issues or questions you might have when it relates to tv or audio I can most likely answer for ya.

Knowing IT folks at both Netflix AND AT&T, there may be some cracking down soon on using logins like this. I know HBO is going to start heavily tracking user's login habits and may start limiting who accesses what from where, when, and how.

But, as it currently stands, this method works :)

Reactions: CowboyJD
Are you a cop? You have to tell me if you are.

breaking-bad-bench.png

We've had Playstation Vue for about 6 months now and it's been great. We have the lowest tiered package at $29.99/month. We use the Amazon Fire TV instead of the Fire stick. With PS Vue, we get ESPN, ESPN 2, FS1, FS2, and have access to the NBC Sports, Fox, and ESPN apps. That covers everything except CBS which charges $5.99/month. All that combined with Netflix, still comes out cheaper than Cox cable.

We've had Playstation Vue for about 6 months now and it's been great. We have the lowest tiered package at $29.99/month. We use the Amazon Fire TV instead of the Fire stick. With PS Vue, we get ESPN, ESPN 2, FS1, FS2, and have access to the NBC Sports, Fox, and ESPN apps. That covers everything except CBS which charges $5.99/month. All that combined with Netflix, still comes out cheaper than Cox cable.
Had it for a few months myself now. Best television choice ever.

This is a trap. That app will give your computer AIDS. Don't do it.

Who brings up a 15 month old thread at 3:30 in the morning about direct Tv for their first post.

Are you a cop? You have to tell me if you are.
Well Mark Willow thinks he is ok....

Had it for a few months myself now. Best television choice ever.

If I sign of for PS Vue, subscribe and have say an Amazon Fire stick plugged into each of my three tvs, do I have to have a separate subscription for each tv or will people to be able to watch one thing on one tv and something else on another at the same time?

If I sign of for PS Vue, subscribe and have say an Amazon Fire stick plugged into each of my three tvs, do I have to have a separate subscription for each tv or will people to be able to watch one thing on one tv and something else on another at the same time?
You should be able to stream on up to five devices on one account, if I'm reading this correctly.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/faq/

Here's a good review/comparison of PS Vue, Sling TV, and Direct TV Now.

https://www.cnet.com/news/playstation-vue-vs-sling-tv-streaming-live-tv-compared/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT