ADVERTISEMENT

Breastfeeding in public, big deal or not?

Wow, was all that name calling really necessary? I will try to be a bit more mature than you in my response.

First, I expect to see certain things in museums and art galleries that I can choose whether or not to expose myself or my children to them. I do not have to expect to have to expose myself or children to nudity in a public place like a mall, restaurant, etc. Simply false. Period. There are countless statues and paintings everywhere with exposed nudity.

Second, I absolutely do not feel ashamed about my opinion. It is intellectually dishonest for anyone to say that it is inappropriate for a woman to be in a public place with a breast exposed, but it is not inappropriate if that exposed breast has a child sucking on it. These are not the same things. At all. You are guilty of your own intellectually dishonesty. It is also intellectually dishonest of you to say that the expelling of fluids from one body part is not comparable to expelling of body fluids of another part of the body. These are not the same things. At all. You are guilty of your own intellectually dishonesty. You are really terrible with analogies - to the point of perversion. Understood that one is waste and the other is used for nourishment of a child, but it is still expelling body fluids and that may be very disgusting to some people. Food is gross? Feeding a child is gross? Giving a child immunity is gross? Some people think that body odor is a very natural thing and choose not to use deodorants to keep their body from smelling for whatever reason. Once again, these are not the same things. I hope they show some consideration for other people and don't come sit down next to me in a restaurant. The same consideration for other people should be shown by everyone and breast feeding mothers should show that same consideration in my opinion. You have no consideration for the reality of natural child rearing.

Well I guess I do not know how to respond to the "uh-uh no it's not" argument, so we will just have to disagree.

Well I guess I do not know how to respond to the "uh-uh no it's not" argument, so we will just have to disagree.
Well. They aren't. At all. In any world. Ever.

Maybe you can debate the point directly without false analogies.

Personally we were both (using "we" in the family sense, not that I personally was lactating :) ), however while in the breastfeeding stage we either pumped or covered up. It was a common courtesy issue and covering up our daughter with a blanket wasn't a big deal. To act like it's somewhat barbaric to place a child under a blanket while breastfeeding is pretty comical. I really don't care if someone does or doesn't cover up, the polite thing to do is to cover up but some folks don't want to and it's fine with me.

Like many things there's a cultural myth that it's leaps and bounds better for you to breastfeed but the actually studies don't really back it up. It's not worth arguing though, it's like arguing with folk about vaccinating their kids. It's your kid, do what you want.

Adver, The difference between you and I in this debate is that I put my thoughts out there as my opinion and support them with examples, comparisons, analogies, etc. You on the other hand state your opinion as fact and provide no support, examples, or anything to explain your perspective. You resort to name calling directed towards someone that has a different opinion that you do. You may want to evaluate your actions before you get up on your high horse and start casting stones at us asshole perverted f**ks. I have never put anyone on this board on ignore, but you are worse than CowboyUp and I don't know that I can stand to read much more of your vitriol.

Personally we were both (using "we" in the family sense, not that I personally was lactating :) ), however while in the breastfeeding stage we either pumped or covered up. It was a common courtesy issue and covering up our daughter with a blanket wasn't a big deal. To act like it's somewhat barbaric to place a child under a blanket while breastfeeding is pretty comical. I really don't care if someone does or doesn't cover up, the polite thing to do is to cover up but some folks don't want to and it's fine with me.

Like many things there's a cultural myth that it's leaps and bounds better for you to breastfeed but the actually studies don't really back it up. It's not worth arguing though, it's like arguing with folk about vaccinating their kids. It's your kid, do what you want.
Didn't say it was "barbaric." Just juxtaposing his bad analogy with another bad analogy.

tumblr_inline_mm1lx60DEV1qz4rgp.jpg

Adver, The difference between you and I in this debate is that I put my thoughts out there as my opinion and support them with examples, comparisons, analogies, etc. You on the other hand state your opinion as fact and provide no support, examples, or anything to explain your perspective. You resort to name calling directed towards someone that has a different opinion that you do. You may want to evaluate your actions before you get up on your high horse and start casting stones at us asshole perverted f**ks. I have never put anyone on this board on ignore, but you are worse than CowboyUp and I don't know that I can stand to read much more of your vitriol.
You did none of those things. You certainly gave no examples or analogies that made any sense whatsoever.

What support do you need? Human history? A biology book that points to boobs as the source for baby food?

Your body fluid analogy was perverted. It's just sick. Really, really sick.

This is obviously very personal to you Adverpoke :)

I don't care either way, I can look away and it's no problem but I can understand the person that finds it offensive and disgusting. There's really no "right" answer only folks opinions. I think people far too often think it has to be there way and no other way.

To me it's no different than someone listening to music or watching a movie on their phone in a public place without headphones. It's fine if no one says anything BUT if it bothers someone then put the headset on. It doesn't change the music, it doesn't change the experience. It's simply a common courtesy. Let your boobs hang out and feed away, however if it does bother someone and they respectfully asks you to cover up then do your best to do so. It's pretty basic.

Nowadays with our society the way it is and all the sexual perversion that's becoming more and more common I'd want to cover up for my own protection and safety.

It's really not a big issue, and my wife and I agree that descretion is the norm.

However, if someone doesn't want to cover up, I will defend that right.

I'm only sensitive to terrible arguments.

Reactions: CowboyJD
It's weird. And my wife breastfed both of our demons. I use a sliding scale to judge and have found my tolerance goes up as the hotness rises.

Reactions: anon_ph7vrsh7abnty
I found it funny how worked up Adverpoke got.

I don't care, but in all honesty what is the big deal to cover up? If it's really hot out side I can see that, but if you're in doors or it's nice/cool out why is it a big deal to cover up?

Either way I don't care, I just don't understand how it's a big deal for people to ask someone to cover up.

I've lost the energy to continue melting down this and the 24/7 board.

Fun while I wasn't busy at work.

It doesn't matter if it offends some people. People get offended, so what. I'm a vegetarian and it doesn't bother me if people eat meat, but I've met many that it does. Should people not eat meat in front of them? No! I'm not sure if it offends me, but something that pisses me off is when parents let their overweight kids drink giant sodas and eat crap food. If I see this offensive act should I ask them to feed their kids elsewhere or differently? Hell no. None of my business. If it offends you then don't look, it's really that easy.

If you elected me president I would make it a rule that women can go topless just like men have the right. I think the female boob is beautiful art by our creator. Why is there not more of a movement for women to have this right? If I was a chick I would be pissed to no end if there was such a sexist law.

Reactions: anon_ph7vrsh7abnty
So, I'm sitting at my 4yo piano lessons (you talk about fun) and the lady sitting next to me is breastfeeding. I had no idea, was pretty stealthy on her part. All the parents are in chairs along the outside walls and she was directly to my left.

She was semi covered and I just so happen to look over about the time that junior became unlatched. Not gonna lie, I'm gonna better position for the next class. It's hard to hide your glances directly to the right or left.

They're probably roasting me on some mom board I don't know about for looking. Don't care.

So, I'm sitting at my 4yo piano lessons (you talk about fun) and the lady sitting next to me is breastfeeding. I had no idea, was pretty stealthy on her part. All the parents are in chairs along the outside walls and she was directly to my left.

She was semi covered and I just so happen to look over about the time that junior became unlatched. Not gonna lie, I'm gonna better position for the next class. It's hard to hide your glances directly to the right or left.

They're probably roasting me on some mom board I don't know about for looking. Don't care.

They probably are, but number one, it's an instinctive reflex to look. And number two, everyone (women too) likes boobs.

This thread is amazing to me. I am all for boobs out in public. But anyone that thinks for a second that a mom that whips them out to feed a baby in public without covering isn't doing so because she wants the attention is kidding themselves. They make very easy to use cover ups for this purpose.

This thread is amazing to me. I am all for boobs out in public. But anyone that thinks for a second that a mom that whips them out to feed a baby in public without covering isn't doing so because she wants the attention is kidding themselves. They make very easy to use cover ups for this purpose.
This might be true in some cases, but I don't think in most. Lots of women who openly breastfeed spend a lot of time around other families who do. It is normal and acceptable to them.

cover ups are the real problem here

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT