ADVERTISEMENT

Book recommendations. (non-fiction)

Been Jammin

Jun 27, 2003
For those that enjoy reading historical novels....

If you have not yet read them, I would strongly recommend two books by Erik Larson.

Dead Wake: The story of the sinking of the Lusitania by a German U-boat during WW-1.

In The Garden Of Good And Evil: The story of the U.S. Ambassador to Germany (and his family) living in Berlin as WW-2 breaks out.

Both are captivating reads and very educational.

Reactions: NeekReevers
Funny you post this I read the first one a couple of months ago and am reading the second one now. In between I read Isaacs Storm by the same author about the Galveston hurricane in 1900 and it was also quite good. I've also read Devil in the White City which is one of his highest rated but at this point I would rate it my least favorite.

I read in the Garden of Good and Evil recently and my main impression was: What a Nymphomaniac! (I substituted for another word)

Was there anyone the daughter met who she didn't sleep with?

She hasn't slept with Hitler yet but I'm only halfway through the book. Other than that I'd have to say no.

I read both of those recently. Another book in the same vein that I enjoyed was Destiny of the Republic about the assassination of James Garfield. His assassin was as crazy as the ambassador's daughter was friendly.

As usual, I have several books started, some of them non-fiction almost reference-type books (raising chickens, making 1cider and barn-building) and I'm about a third of the way through Go Set a Watchman by Lee.

I did finish In the Garden... and enjoyed it. I too was surprised but not shocked by Martha's bedroom dalliances. What was a little shocking to me was the utter nonchalance of all of it.

One I'd recommend to anyone here is The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. It's one of Edmund Morris' several works on TR. Copyright is 1979 so you may have read it a couple of times already. I read it this spring after watching a PBS seies on the Roosevelt's. Excellent man and excellently told. It covers his birth up to the week McKinley is shot.

I read both of those recently. Another book in the same vein that I enjoyed was Destiny of the Republic about the assassination of James Garfield. His assassin was as crazy as the ambassador's daughter was friendly.
I read Destiny of the Republic when it first came out and would highly recommend it.

Others I'd recommend off the top of my head:

1. The Little Chapel on the River. http://www.gwendolynbounds.com
  2. The Lost City of Z http://www.davidgrann.com/books/the_lost_city_of_z/
  3. The Tender Bar http://hyperionbooks.com/book/the-tender-bara-memoir/

For those that enjoy reading historical novels....

If you have not yet read them, I would strongly recommend two books by Erik Larson.

Dead Wake: The story of the sinking of the Lusitania by a German U-boat during WW-1.

In The Garden Of Good And Evil: The story of the U.S. Ambassador to Germany (and his family) living in Berlin as WW-2 breaks out.

Both are captivating reads and very educational.

Also check out Thunderstruck by Larson. Great read!

Another good one. It has been around for years and was made into a movie, but if you haven't read
The Great Train Robbery by Michael Crichton, I would highly recommend it.

Finished Dead Wake a few weeks ago.

I have Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee and Target Tokyo, by James Scott (about the Doolittle raid) on the near term list to read.

Dead Wake is great.

Reading the third installment of The Last Lion about Churchill.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT