ADVERTISEMENT

Bird dog pups

panhndlpoke

Heisman Candidate
Sep 6, 2006
I might have some born in August. German Shorthair pointer/Braque de Bourbonnais cross. I’ll post pics of the parents if anyone is interested. Both parents hunt.

Growing up in far SW OKlahoma during the quail heyday and up until 1985, we/my dad raised both Brittanies and German Shorthair pointers. We had some solid quail dogs. I sure miss those days and still just love watching good dogs work. I've tried getting guided hunts the last ten years but it's never been the same. The numbers are just not there. As a kid, I didn't know how good we had it. My fav was running two brits and two GSPs so you cover both up close and further ranging dogs. We could sure cover the territory that way. We would take one of each to hunt pheasants once a year around Guymon but the limited exposure and training on pheasants never made them great at it. They also never got used to hunting "row crops", and wanted to run down the rows until they were out of range. They would point some and flush some, but the best thing is they would retrieve lots of pheasant that otherwise we wouldn't likely find.
What tends to be the range for the Braque de Bourbonnais?

Last edited:
Braque is pretty personality dependent. My dog wants to work closer to me. Some of the others will range like a GSP. My dog runs a lot further when the trainer is around.

Male first and female 2nd. I couldn’t get them to stand still next to one another but the male is a little taller and a much heavier build. He isn’t as much of a runner either so he’s going to run in August and September to get in shape.

Rocko weighs 59 lbs
Penny weighs about 43

If you look through my pictures on the flicker thing there is a video of him with the trainer

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT