ADVERTISEMENT

BIG tremor in Tulsa

Marshal Jim Duncan

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Dec 22, 2013
just a few moments ago. That is possibly the biggest one I've felt here. I am on the 3rd floor of our office building; that may be a factor.

Looks like the one for Tulsa may have been centered in Leonard.

I don't think I would have felt the one from Cresent in East BA.

I felt it here in BVL. Looks like the USGS website says it was centered between Edmond and Stillwater and was classified as "moderate."

Yep SKC. Now reported and must have happened about the same time as Mashal's post.

There were two quakes in Crescent. The 2nd was bigger and shallower; 4.5 at 2 miles deep. Leonard is where a seismic observatory is located.

That makes more sense. Must have been the 2nd Cresent quake that I felt.

You need to try it on the 24th floor some time!

About crapped my pants and didn't want to go anywhere near the elevator the rest of the day. (As people were stuck on the elevator for about 45 minutes following.) I remember hearing the panes of glass in my windows creaking and moving away from them to the interior space of the office in case they broke, sending shards of glass my way and allowing the wind at that altitude to suck me into the abyss. (Sorry, I'm no good with heights.)

Crazy thing, Oklahoma is experiencing earthquakes on a scale something like 4X the amount in California these days.

Went through a big one in Bogota once, 9th floor. Having lunch at a meeting and all of sudden felt dizzy and thought I was about to pass out. A few seconds later the building started to shake and it must have lasted for at least a minute. Colombians knew what was happening and explained it me.

Amazing what those big ones can do to your equilibrium.

Did a lot of damage about 100 km away.

knoblock,

Yep, I was dizzy for at least half an hour afterwards. Part of that was due to the fact that the building I was in was rocking for about 5-6 minutes as the energy dissipated. (at ground level, it was all over in less than 10 seconds.) The building I was in, had these huge roller bearings in the basement upon which it sat and which allowed to absorb the energy of the quake better. From what I understood, at the top of the building could move as much as 8 ft in either direction as it rolled in those bearings. It was the background standing still, while I felt the motion of the building which made me have equilibrium problems.

You need to try it on the 24th floor some time!

About crapped my pants and didn't want to go anywhere near the elevator the rest of the day. (As people were stuck on the elevator for about 45 minutes following.) I remember hearing the panes of glass in my windows creaking and moving away from them to the interior space of the office in case they broke, sending shards of glass my way and allowing the wind at that altitude to suck me into the abyss. (Sorry, I'm no good with heights.)

Crazy thing, Oklahoma is experiencing earthquakes on a scale something like 4X the amount in California these days.

It's all about water injection wells (10 bbls of water produced per 1 bbl of oil) which the Corp. Comm is addressing; probably won't fix it immediately, but one can hope .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT