ADVERTISEMENT

Best rock vocalist?

Such a subjective topic. Lots of good ones mentioned above. A couple that I think were missed are:

Jeff Lynn-ELO
Layne Staley-Alice In Chains

I was never a big Alice in Chains fan in their prime, but that MTV unplugged session, and Jar of Flies EP have DOMINATED my playlist lately.
It's weird when something grabs you later and you question..."why did this not resonate with me back then?" But I always feel lucky when I discover something late like that, because then it's like all new material for me to enjoy.
Layne Staley aslo had another band called Mad Season. I havent taken the time to learn to post videos yet, but go to youtube and serch for "River of deceit" It has that haunting unique style of Layne Staley. Good stuff for sure.

EDIT: I just noticed that @Cowguy mentioned Jeff Lynn

Sorry, late to the party… lots of great mentions already…at the top of my list would be Steve Perry & Brad Delp & Freddie Mercury & Robert Plant.

Also, I'm not sure of the definition "rock," but I'd submit these not yet mentioned:

Denny Doherty of The Mamas & the Papas. I think he has an amazing voice.

I also like Lou Gramm.

Finally, Grace Slick…oooppss…I just now saw she was listed…but obviously agree.

Since we are talking vocalists many may not know the range that Tony Harnell (TNT and recent Skid Row fame) has. Look at this vid but stay to the end as it doesn't do it justice till the end.

Also, lets not forget that Michael Sweet is also an underated vocalist in his own right going from Stryper to solo to replacing a true legend as lead for Boston.

I might have missed it but I didn't see anyone mention Bowie, he and Mercury are my favorites.
I also would add Tina Turner, Aretha and Linda Perry, maybe this discussion was meant for a little harder rock than these ladies sang but they are three of my favorite gals.

Such a subjective topic. Lots of good ones mentioned above. A couple that I think were missed are:

Jeff Lynn-ELO
Layne Staley-Alice In Chains

I was never a big Alice in Chains fan in their prime, but that MTV unplugged session, and Jar of Flies EP have DOMINATED my playlist lately.
It's weird when something grabs you later and you question..."why did this not resonate with me back then?" But I always feel lucky when I discover something late like that, because then it's like all new material for me to enjoy.
Layne Staley aslo had another band called Mad Season. I havent taken the time to learn to post videos yet, but go to youtube and serch for "River of deceit" It has that haunting unique style of Layne Staley. Good stuff for sure.

EDIT: I just noticed that @Cowguy mentioned Jeff Lynn

I agree UrbanCowboy- Staley is the most powerful singer I've heard....especially before he blew his voice out prior to 1992...u can tell a difference in his depth. Its sad he doesn't get more recognition. Will be seeing them next week. They still give a great show with the "new" singer.

Reactions: MegaPoke
On the metal side:
Corey Taylor - Slipknot / Stone Sour
David Draiman - Disturbed
Ivan Moody - Five Finger Death Punch

On the metal side:
Corey Taylor - Slipknot / Stone Sour
David Draiman - Disturbed
Ivan Moody - Five Finger Death Punch
If we are going that route...

I'd say, metal anyways....

Mikael Akerfeldt
Jens Kidman
Phil Anselmo
Dickinson
Halford
Ozzy
Dave Mustaine
Tom Araya
Lemmy
Joey Belladonna

Almost too many for me to list...love me some metal!

Lou Graham ... Of course!

How about Chrissie Hynde? Patti Smith?

Since we are talking vocalists many may not know the range that Tony Harnell (TNT and recent Skid Row fame) has. Look at this vid but stay to the end as it doesn't do it justice till the end.

Also, lets not forget that Michael Sweet is also an underated vocalist in his own right going from Stryper to solo to replacing a true legend as lead for Boston.

Dally, I saw Boston w/Sweet back in 2008. He split the lead duties with Tommy DeCarlo, the former Home Depot employee who took the gig after Brad Delp. Tommy did an excellent job, but was clearly not vocally prepared to carry the entire load for an entire concert, so he and Sweet split the songs.

Dally, I saw Boston w/Sweet back in 2008. He split the lead duties with Tommy DeCarlo, the former Home Depot employee who took the gig after Brad Delp. Tommy did an excellent job, but was clearly not vocally prepared to carry the entire load for an entire concert, so he and Sweet split the songs.
How did Boston with Sweet sound? Obviously not Journey good with Pineda but was it decent?

I might have missed it but I didn't see anyone mention Bowie, he and Mercury are my favorites.
I also would add Tina Turner, Aretha and Linda Perry, maybe this discussion was meant for a little harder rock than these ladies sang but they are three of my favorite gals.

Mercury and Bowie isolated vocal track

How did Boston with Sweet sound? Obviously not Journey good with Pineda but was it decent?

As a long time Stryper fan growing up (at least their 80s stuff), I like Michael's voice and his crazy range. I thought he fit well with Boston, but gotta say that DeCarlo fit better as far as having "the" Boston sound. Tommy was nearly a Delp clone. It was uncanny. That being said, if Sweet took over tomorrow for DeCarlo as lead, I'd still listen to them.

As a long time Stryper fan growing up (at least their 80s stuff), I like Michael's voice and his crazy range. I thought he fit well with Boston, but gotta say that DeCarlo fit better as far as having "the" Boston sound. Tommy was nearly a Delp clone. It was uncanny. That being said, if Sweet took over tomorrow for DeCarlo as lead, I'd still listen to them.

Been reading Sweet's autobio lately (takes me a while to finish a book). It's pretty good info for a long time Stryper fan or someone who likes rock music. It's not a tell all, gossip, drugs, women book like many but rather about recordings, personalities and how they fit into a secular music society but remained friends with most.

No love for Bono from U2? Thought his vocals on The Joshua Tree were great, not to mention his charisma and "it" factor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT