ADVERTISEMENT

Best rock vocalist?

Totally second Chris Cornel. That guy can wail..

I also really like the new Asian dude that fronts Journey.

Jeff Buckley was pretty good

For newer groups this decade -- who is the lead vocalist for Fall-out Boy? He definitely has a distinctive style.

I love these threads.

Think of some off the beaten path ones - sort of.

Brad Delp
Ann Wilson
Steve Winwood
Mark Farner
Jeff Lynne
Burton Cummings
Eric Carmen
Steve Walsh

Reactions: MegaPoke
Myles Kennedy
Richie Kotzen

I would add these two to the list.

Good Lord, Robert Plant and Roger Daltrey blow everyone mentioned in this thread away with the exception of Freddie Mercury.

I do like Paul Rodgers, though, but he's a 1/2 notch below those I mentioned.

Someone who is frequently overlooked is Rod Stewart from his early days with The Faces.

Good Lord, Robert Plant and Roger Daltrey blow everyone mentioned in this thread away with the exception of Freddie Mercury.

Uh. No. You are higher than 12 hippies if you believe anyone blows Cornell and Rodgers away as a rock vocalist.

And I say that as a massive Zeppelin and Who fan.

Chris Cornell is possibly the most overrated vocalist I can think of. Maybe Jagger tops him.

Last edited:

Someone who is frequently overlooked is Rod Stewart from his early days with The Faces.

I went purposefully for the less obvious.

For newer groups this decade -- who is the lead vocalist for Fall-out Boy? He definitely has a distinctive style.
Patrick Stump. Fall Out Boy stayed at my house a couple of times when I lived in Houston (invited by my son). Travelling in their van pulling instruments in their trailer looking for some place to land and shower. Amazing how popular they became.
Very polite and nice guys.

Chris Cornell sounds like a Joe Cocker starter kit to me.

None of these guys are on Freddie Mercury's level. No one has the range that he had. Such a shame that he died so young. Would have loved to have another decade (or more) of Queen.

My list (going with a broad definition of "rock"):

Phil Anselmo
Max Cavalera
Glenn Danzig
Nathan Ellis
Thomas Gabriel Fischer
Blake Judd
Burton C. Bell
James Hetfield
Chino Moreno
Maynard James Keenan
Troy Sanders
Dustin Kensrue
Billy Corgan
David Gilmore
Perry Farrell
Jack White
Shirley Manson
Mlny Parsonz

Chris Cornell sounds like a Joe Cocker starter kit to me.

None of these guys are on Freddie Mercury's level. No one has the range that he had. Such a shame that he died so young. Would have loved to have another decade (or more) of Queen.

It's not all about range. If it were, Jeff Buckley would be at or near the top of any list. It's also about vocal dynamics, tone and texture. And if you can't see that Paul MF Rodgers and Chris Cornell are in the same elite class as Freddie Mercury, I don't know what to do for you.

Who is best is subjective. But, these silly statements by you and glove that Freddie blows these guys (heh...) away, is demonstrably wrong. Sorry.

By the way, It's a crime that Ann Wilson hasn't been mentioned, speaking of insane range and every other desirable vocal quality.

Here is an interesting chart of the range of famous singers. Axyl Rose leads the list, which strangely does not include operatic powerhouses like Rob Halford or Bruce Dickenson.

I love these threads.

Think of some off the beaten path ones - sort of.

Brad Delp
Ann Wilson
Steve Winwood
Mark Farner
Jeff Lynne
Burton Cummings
Eric Carmen
Steve Walsh

Oops, just saw this. Solid list - but Ann Wilson is the one that jumps out as being in this discussion to me. In our band, @GlowPoke covered everyone from Zeppelin to Rush to ACDC to the Who and I think she would agree that the range on Barracuda was the most challenging song we did. Ann Wilson and Heart in general are generally severely underrated on several levels.

I'm very partial to the below...and some I'm not even a fan of:

Freddie Mercury - Queen
Dennis DeYoung - STYX
Paul Rogers - Bad Company
Steve Perry - Journey
Pat Benatar
Grace Slick - Jefferson Airplane
Steve Walsh - Kansas

By the way, It's a crime that Ann Wilson hasn't been mentioned, speaking of insane range and every other desirable vocal quality.

Here is an interesting chart of the range of famous singers. Axyl Rose leads the list, which strangely does not include operatic powerhouses like Rob Halford or Bruce Dickenson.
Wait... Bruce Dickenson. Yes, The Bruce Dickenson. Gonna need more cowbell.

Reactions: MegaPoke
Pat Benatar. Surprised she isn't on the chart of largest ranges. She grew up training in opera I believe.

I'm very partial to the below...and some I'm not even a fan of:

Freddie Mercury - Queen
Dennis DeYoung - STYX
Paul Rogers - Bad Company
Steve Perry - Journey
Pat Benatar
Grace Slick - Jefferson Airplane
Steve Walsh - Kansas

Like much of your list, but you get demerits from me for DeYoung. Styx was part of the soundtrack of my youth, and Dennis ruined them! Prefer their Tommy shaw songs mostly anyway. Kilroy killed the band.

What about Rik Emmett from Triumph?

Ronnie Van Zant

Peter Wolf - j Geils band.

Little out of the box but what about M Shadows form Avenged Sevenfold. Dude has some pipes.

Sebastian Bach always seemed like an underrated singer and frontman. Gritty , unmatched style.

I'll go a different direction for discussion.

Bon Scott
Buddy Holly
Phil Lynott (thin lizzy)
Brian Wilson

No love for David Lee Roth?

Sure, he's turned into a caricature of himself, but if this was 1985, he would be at the top. And I don't mean just vocals, I mean lead man, center stage, jumping and kicking and making your lady want to go home with him lol.

That being said...and as time has passed painfully for all the members of Van Halen...he doesn't really rank that highly anymore.

Chris Cornell is a rock god. Hungerstrike with him and Eddie Vedder was a great song to have on the stereo when feeling grungy at the bachelor pad in Stillwater in 93.

Honestly, it's hard to pick a top ten, I can see the merits of each listed in this thread. But when I think of someone who nails a song and fits the bill of rock vocalist that could make a song sound epic, I go with Ronnie James Dio. Even his appearance in the song with Jack Black on the album to "the Pic of Destiny" was amazing. That movie sucked butt by the way...

No love for David Lee Roth?

Sure, he's turned into a caricature of himself, but if this was 1985, he would be at the top. And I don't mean just vocals, I mean lead man, center stage, jumping and kicking and making your lady want to go home with him lol.

That being said...and as time has passed painfully for all the members of Van Halen...he doesn't really rank that highly anymore.

Chris Cornell is a rock god. Hungerstrike with him and Eddie Vedder was a great song to have on the stereo when feeling grungy at the bachelor pad in Stillwater in 93.

Honestly, it's hard to pick a top ten, I can see the merits of each listed in this thread. But when I think of someone who nails a song and fits the bill of rock vocalist that could make a song sound epic, I go with Ronnie James Dio. Even his appearance in the song with Jack Black on the album to "the Pic of Destiny" was amazing. That movie sucked butt by the way...

As a front man, he's definitely in the discussion. As a vocalist? Sammy was infinitely better. Frontman will be another thread. ;)

I thought I'd wait a day or two and think about it, now all my favs are already listed.
Paul Rodgers
Robert Plant
Ian Gillan
Freddie Mercury
Ann Wilson should be included, but I needed the reminder
Brian Johnson
Roy Orbison

No way to pick one. Prolly no way even to just say "Here's the top 15 in no particular order."
Too many bona fide greats. Enjoy them. They'll all be gone too soon.

LOL. Thinking about "being done too soon," made me think of Neil Diamond. Some think he was too commercial or too pop, but man, that cat could sing. Reluctantly went with some friends to see him in the mid-70's when I thought Plant, Rodgers and Gillan were gods. Diamond kicked some serious ass that night. I was shocked.

Don't think ND belongs in a Rock thread, but he is full of awesome. Singing, song writing, stage presence, entertaining the audience, etc.

Ronnie James Dio was an absolute bad ass.
Yes! Ronnie James Dio should be included. My favorites are actually on Kerry Livgren's solo album Seeds of Change. To Live for the King and Mask of the Great Deceiver. Do your self a favor and give those two a listen! Livgren and Dio an unlikely duo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT