ADVERTISEMENT

Best fishing trip/outing/day you've ever had?

tcpoke

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Oct 21, 2004
Mine is bass fishing Lake Baccarac in Mexico, May 2007. Went with my grandpa (which was really his last trip before his health really declined).

He caught 5 fish over 10lbs. I caught 8 between 8-9lbs. We literally caught hundreds of fish 3-6 lbs.

The fishing was incredible and when you couple that with the fact it was the last time my grandpa truly got to fish, and I was with him, nothing in my life comes close.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Sliding an arrow between the ribs of an elk with my bow in Co.

Man that's a tough call. There are so many!

The most recent one I can recall is the Walleye Rodeo at Canton Lake.

It was me, my (ex) brother in law, and another one of our friends. We were on my 24 foot pontoon and anchored down in a random spot above one of the "islands". We had just caught a 7 pound plus walleye that won us I think 700 dollars for 3rd place.

We had music blaring, a charcoal grill cooking burgers and sausages on the front of the boat, we were drinking Jim Beam out of the Bottle, bonging beers like college freshmen, and we were catching fish so fast we couldn't keep our polls in the water.

It was about 90 minutes of total chaos just before the storm blew in and put a quick end to everything and brought in major panic. I think it was 3 years ago, the storm that brought that first really bad hail storm we had in OKC in recent memory.

Anyway, we caught probably 70 walleye in less than 2 hours. NONE of them were keepers. But we got broke off about 10 times. Hard to catch a big walleye on 6-8 pound test when you've drank enough to kill an elephant.

Boats were gathering around us like crazy. I bet there were 20 boats within 100 yards of us, and we didn't see one single person catch a fish. Not one!

They were biting so good for us though, we literally hooked the same fish with two poles at the same time...in the mouth. The odds of that happening? I have no clue. We just had dropped our jigs straight down and you have to figure the boat is what 8 feet wide, each pole is sticking out at least 5 feet from each side, so you've got 18 feet of distance between the two baits/hooks.

Man the fight WAS...ON! Finally we realized, maybe we are hung up! So one guy reeled it in and found both hooks perfectly in the walleye's mouth. I will never see that again in my lifetime.

The best part was we didn't care. We were partying up and it wasn't even noon. Everyone around us seemed to be serious fishermen and we could tell how frustrating it was for everyone else to not be catching anything while we reeled them in two or three at a time. Occasionally we would hold up the 7 pounder so everyone around us could see that not only were we reeling them in two at a time but we also had a monster.

Had the weather not gone south and in a hurry, that could have been one of the most epic fishing trips in all of fishingdom, however, mother nature was evidently not pleased with our mocking of fellow fishermen and lack of respect for the entire process so she put the smack down on it. While it lasted though...it gets no better, EVER.

Originally posted by shortbus:
Man that's a tough call. There are so many!

The most recent one I can recall is the Walleye Rodeo at Canton Lake.

It was me, my (ex) brother in law, and another one of our friends. We were on my 24 foot pontoon and anchored down in a random spot above one of the "islands". We had just caught a 7 pound plus walleye that won us I think 700 dollars for 3rd place.

We had music blaring, a charcoal grill cooking burgers and sausages on the front of the boat, we were drinking Jim Beam out of the Bottle, bonging beers like college freshmen, and we were catching fish so fast we couldn't keep our polls in the water.

It was about 90 minutes of total chaos just before the storm blew in and put a quick end to everything and brought in major panic. I think it was 3 years ago, the storm that brought that first really bad hail storm we had in OKC in recent memory.

Anyway, we caught probably 70 walleye in less than 2 hours. NONE of them were keepers. But we got broke off about 10 times. Hard to catch a big walleye on 6-8 pound test when you've drank enough to kill an elephant.

Boats were gathering around us like crazy. I bet there were 20 boats within 100 yards of us, and we didn't see one single person catch a fish. Not one!

They were biting so good for us though, we literally hooked the same fish with two poles at the same time...in the mouth. The odds of that happening? I have no clue. We just had dropped our jigs straight down and you have to figure the boat is what 8 feet wide, each pole is sticking out at least 5 feet from each side, so you've got 18 feet of distance between the two baits/hooks.

Man the fight WAS...ON! Finally we realized, maybe we are hung up! So one guy reeled it in and found both hooks perfectly in the walleye's mouth. I will never see that again in my lifetime.

The best part was we didn't care. We were partying up and it wasn't even noon. Everyone around us seemed to be serious fishermen and we could tell how frustrating it was for everyone else to not be catching anything while we reeled them in two or three at a time. Occasionally we would hold up the 7 pounder so everyone around us could see that not only were we reeling them in two at a time but we also had a monster.

Had the weather not gone south and in a hurry, that could have been one of the most epic fishing trips in all of fishingdom, however, mother nature was evidently not pleased with our mocking of fellow fishermen and lack of respect for the entire process so she put the smack down on it. While it lasted though...it gets no better, EVER.
seinfeld.gif

Deep sea fishing off the east coast with a tour group. Everyone was bringing up different fish that I had only seen on tv. All the sudden my pop's rod bent and as was the norm a crowd gathered to see what unique treasure would emerge. This thing was a fighter and really causing the drag to work overtime. As it surfaced it was one of those diving ducks that had been hooked in the wing. The crowd dispersed, giggling as one of the guides netted it and got the hook out. Before we had left, my dad, being from the mountains told me he gets sea sick when he can't see shore line. A few minutes later he realized we were out of sight of the land, turned green and got sick off the side of the boat. His last words before purging as he stared into my eyes sternly was to not take a picture. I took a picture but was one of those moments you don't need one. I can see it clearly in my mind close to 20 years later.

Deep sea fishing 50 miles offshore of Port A. The only time we weren't catching fish was the trip out there and the trip back. Snapper, grouper, amberjack, kingfish, mahi mahi. Not a cloud in the sky and the water was like glass.

My best fishing outing would have to be the time my gramps and I went way back in the woods of Maine to this lake. We took an old logging road way back in the woods to a lake that not many people fish. We trolled around that lake all day catching pickerel and white perch. Had to be the best day I ever spent with my gramps and really just the memory of being with him is what made that day well that and the fact I caught the biggest pickerel of my fishing career and the most that day.

Caught this Blue in Longview, Tx. over this past summer. Was a blast to get in as I was just using a worm rod with 15 lb. test.

BlueCatCatch_zpsc3f89899.jpg

I had one day of fishing that stands above any other I have ever had. May 3, 1999 I was at the spillway at Carl Blackwell fishing for hybrids and sand bass. I fished there often with good luck but this day was insane I guess due to the low pressure. I had multiple hybrids over 4 lbs. and I have no idea how many sand bass but I would have to guess in all I had well over 50 fish. I hear somebody call my name and look up and it is an OSU police officer I knew telling me I needed to get out of there. I asked him if he was crazy and showed him my stringer but then he told me Moore had been taken out by a tornado and it was headed our way. Reluctantly I left and went home to clean fish while I watched the footage on TV.
I sure miss living in Stillwater and fishing Blackwell.

GreenEggPoke, where are ya there? Is it Lake O Pines?

I live in Carthage, always looking for a new place to fish. I like fishing the spillway at Wright Patman but have fished some at Pines.

My best fishing trips are also ones I took with Grandpa or Dad. Luckily Dad and I still get to go pretty often. One that does stick out, not because I was catching big fish but just the fact that I was catching them and no one else. I was white bass fishing and it was cold and everyone was tossing 1/4-3/8 ounce roadrunners and I had my ultra light with very small jig. The first 8 cast I caught 8 white bass, no one else was getting a hit.

Fly fishing in Western CO about 10 years ago with my uncle and father in law. Caught a least 30 sleckled and brown trout over a 3 day period. Camped out the whole time. Had grilled or fried trout for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Russ,

That was at a small lake called Long Glade Lake I think. It's south of Lake Cherokee and is a small gated community. Nobody knew there were fish in there that size so clearly I just got lucky but what a blast!

Mine is basically every trip to the White or Norfork River since I switched to fishing with Zig Jigs almost exclusively a couple years ago on those rivers. We always slay the hell out of them, including a lot of Browns. Hitting the Norfork when they have 1 unit running from the dam is always amazing, but unfortunately you never know what water level you're going to get when you're planning a trip weeks or months in advance.

The Norfork is probably the setting of 4 of my top 10 trips/memories and probably an even higher percentage of my top 25.

One of my best: On my way to a redneck batchelor party in a barn. Complete with "entertainment", craps and blackjack. A front was moving in and I could not resist hitting one of my favorite ponds real quick. Well I guess the front decided to stall out almost over me. I sat there and commenced to catch one every cast for over an hour. Every bite I would laugh at the guys at the party. After an hour I actually got tired of catching fish. Definitely a very fun and weird experience. When they found out why I was late, they all wished they could have traded places with me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT