ADVERTISEMENT

ATV

Give me a bit and I will weigh in. I have a little experience with ATVs/ATCs...have had a few over the years, mainly older Honda ATCs and a couple Kawasaki Mules (side by side, but in the ballpark).

Need to ask a buddy that's got more knowledge than me about this Polaris and I will get back on here in just a bit

Reactions: osuchad
Talked to my buddy and he thought it was decent one for sure. Price wise, if you can get it for 2200 to 2500 then it would be a good deal. But 3000....That's kind a high on that particular 4 wheeler.

They ride well and have been fairly dependable. Other than Honda, not a bad choice. I say Honda just because I'm a bit biased and parts are easier to come by...

NADA has it valued at $2350. He said he's firm on price since its low mileage/hours and garage kept. Thanks for the insight!

No problem. If you want a good one for cheap, go with the older Honda 300 Fourtrax, but stay away from the 1999 and newer ones with electric shift and all that crap, unless you want to get one newer like around the 2007-2008 year. Why? Because they didn't advance the tech on ATVs until 1998 or so (part of the consent decree after 1988 when the companies agreed to not build anymore 3 wheelers) and when they did, the first batch with electric shift had some issues that were expensive to replace. Honestly, the sweetest Honda Fourtrax at least to me was the old 350D made in 1986-88 prior to the 300. Those were beasts, but they have become somewhat collectible over the last couple of years and are hard to come by without paying like $4500 for a pristine example. Hard to swallow for a 30 year old 4 wheeler. But the 300s made from about 1989 or so onward were very nice up and used the same body style all the way up to 2003 or so. Honda parts aren't "cheap" but they are still available for the 300s since they use some of the parts on the newer models.

The basis for the 300 engine was the old 246cc motor in the Big Red 250ES. People knock 3 wheelers because of the massive propaganda that started in the 80s after a few kids got hurt with stupid parents allowing them to ride the expert only builds like the 250R and Kawasaki Tecate. I could go on...but I won't lol.

These are my two babies, and 85 and 86 Big Red. If you look close, you can see that they have different decals and are in fact different. They are both heavily optioned and in like new shape...and not for sale lol. But, we use them, I just take good care of them and stay out of the nasty stuff. If I wanted to, I could take one of those through anything a 4 wheeler could go, if I get stuck I just hop off and drag it out. But it's surprising to a lot of people at how much more nimble a 3 wheeler is in the woods. There's a reason when Honda started making these that they went with 3 wheels...because all the other configurations didn't work as well...including 4 wheels...

I have a 2006 Sportsman, and the Polaris sportsman is one of the best and most dependable of the breed. Ride very smooth, enough power to do what you typically need, and are not lightweight race bikes.... they are build for hunting/farming type stuff to me. The 500 is the most common engine ( a really good engine) in the sportsman, and they are plentiful so it is pretty easy to get parts for.
I am not as familiar with that specific year but mostly they didn't change drastically. Good automatic transmissions, so your not shifting like some other brands.

The Hondas are solid as well and get good reviews. When i bought mine new, I preferred it slightly over the honda rancher, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one.

BIG REDS! Rulz, That's a blast from the past. The last time I saw one live was at a parade and the Masons, I think it was, were riding them and doing a few stunts, like riding on two wheels (pretty easy to do on those, intentional or not..

If it matters, If I were to buy a new one today, I'd go back with a larger sportsman with EFI and power steering.... for what I use it for. Your situation may be different and a sxs or 4 person unit may be be$t.
tcp

No problem. If you want a good one for cheap, go with the older Honda 300 Fourtrax, but stay away from the 1999 and newer ones with electric shift and all that crap, unless you want to get one newer like around the 2007-2008 year. Why? Because they didn't advance the tech on ATVs until 1998 or so (part of the consent decree after 1988 when the companies agreed to not build anymore 3 wheelers) and when they did, the first batch with electric shift had some issues that were expensive to replace. Honestly, the sweetest Honda Fourtrax at least to me was the old 350D made in 1986-88 prior to the 300. Those were beasts, but they have become somewhat collectible over the last couple of years and are hard to come by without paying like $4500 for a pristine example. Hard to swallow for a 30 year old 4 wheeler. But the 300s made from about 1989 or so onward were very nice up and used the same body style all the way up to 2003 or so. Honda parts aren't "cheap" but they are still available for the 300s since they use some of the parts on the newer models.

The basis for the 300 engine was the old 246cc motor in the Big Red 250ES. People knock 3 wheelers because of the massive propaganda that started in the 80s after a few kids got hurt with stupid parents allowing them to ride the expert only builds like the 250R and Kawasaki Tecate. I could go on...but I won't lol.

These are my two babies, and 85 and 86 Big Red. If you look close, you can see that they have different decals and are in fact different. They are both heavily optioned and in like new shape...and not for sale lol. But, we use them, I just take good care of them and stay out of the nasty stuff. If I wanted to, I could take one of those through anything a 4 wheeler could go, if I get stuck I just hop off and drag it out. But it's surprising to a lot of people at how much more nimble a 3 wheeler is in the woods. There's a reason when Honda started making these that they went with 3 wheels...because all the other configurations didn't work as well...including 4 wheels...

Damn rulz!!! Excellent work... and I agree. I currently have a 700 artic cat and it is bad ass... HOWEVER, I completely agree with you... when you get into some heavy woods, its not even close the 3 wheeler... takes a little more time getting through stuff... we used to have 3 wheelers as kids and those things would basically float through anything (not really but that's how I remember it)..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT