ADVERTISEMENT

At 7:34 PM CST in Waco it's pouring rain...

Sunburnt Indian

Heisman Candidate
Nov 7, 2001
Edge of the Comancheria
All local TV stations have stopped regular programming. Reporting on tornado warnings and high winds. McGregor Airport temp dropped from 73F to 55F in nothing flat. KWTX 10 weather man says cooler air slows wind.

Waco City Council has considered more restrictive watering conditions. At 7:52 PM it's still pouring. Maybe Lakes Waco and Belton will get a break. Maybe Lake Whitney at daughter's ranch will get a break.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Right on brother. I grew up in Shawnee. I don't care if I ever see another tornado.
I grew up in Lawton, 3 blocks from Fort Sill. As a little boy, I watched my white mother prepare a 1 qt. jar of ice water for my father to carry under the car seat so he wouldn't have to deal with WHITE ONLY and COLORED ONLY drinking fountains at Oklahoma Tire and Supply. Fort Sill had one drinking fountain at Snow Hall. The Africans, Comanches and Pales drank from the same fountain. The water tasted the same for all of us. We usually referred to the Comanches as the People.

I grew up in Lawton, 3 blocks from Fort Sill. As a little boy, I watched my white mother prepare a 1 qt. jar of ice water for my father to carry under the car seat so he wouldn't have to deal with WHITE ONLY and COLORED ONLY drinking fountains at Oklahoma Tire and Supply. Fort Sill had one drinking fountain at Snow Hall. The Africans, Comanches and Pales drank from the same fountain. The water tasted the same for all of us.
We've come a long way brother. But still a mountain to climb.

We've come a long way brother. But still a mountain to climb.
Compared to how it was we have a mole hill.

I took the original Whitney Houston to the low class Murray Theater in Lawton. We had to sit in the balcony. Whitney could not have entered the Vaska theater in the suburbs. My father appearance favored American Indian. His older and only sister African American. I am weighted more toward my Irish mother. I don't have even close to a narrow European Caucasian nose. I'm darker than the actor Jeremy Renner in Wind River and I share his nose. The actor's maternal grandmother is of Sub-Saharan African descent.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Compared to how it was we have a mole hill.

I took the original Whitney Houston to the low class Murray Theater in Lawton. We had to sit in the balcony. Whitney could not have entered the Vaska theater in the suburbs. My father appearance favored American Indian. His older and only sister African American. I am weighted more toward my Irish mother. I don't have even close to a narrow European Caucasian nose. I'm darker than the actor Jeremy Renner in Wind River and I share his nose. The actor's maternal grandmother is of Sub-Saharan African descent.
Sounds like yer doin just fine my man.

Reactions: Sunburnt Indian
I grew up in Lawton, 3 blocks from Fort Sill. As a little boy, I watched my white mother prepare a 1 qt. jar of ice water for my father to carry under the car seat so he wouldn't have to deal with WHITE ONLY and COLORED ONLY drinking fountains at Oklahoma Tire and Supply. Fort Sill had one drinking fountain at Snow Hall. The Africans, Comanches and Pales drank from the same fountain. The water tasted the same for all of us. We usually referred to the Comanches as the People.
Have you read Empire of the Summer Moon?

Have you read Empire of the Summer Moon?
No. It's been recommended to me.

I know the early eighties Dodge Mirada was a cult car for the oil rich Comanches. Eddie Cordes Dodge in Lawton would give no discounts on '80 and '81 Dodge Miradas. The rare ones he had in stock. Lawton is the heart of the Comancheria. Except for a 3 year stint in Germany, from 5-18 I grew up in the heart of the Comancheria.

All students were accepted at Lawton High. Blacks were not forced to Lawton Dunbar. Indians were not forced to Fort Sill Indian. The black girl behind me in senior English would never have been accepted at Little Rock and Waco Highs.

No. It's been recommended to me.

I know the early eighties Dodge Mirada was a cult car for the oil rich Comanches. Eddie Cordes Dodge in Lawton would give no discounts on '80 and '81 Dodge Miradas. The rare ones he had in stock. Lawton is the heart of the Comancheria. Except for a 3 year stint in Germany, from 5-18 I grew up in the heart of the Comancheria.

All students were accepted at Lawton High. Blacks were not forced to Lawton Dunbar. Indians were not forced to Fort Sill Indian. The black girl behind me in senior English would never have been accepted at Little Rock and Waco Highs.
It's a great read and gets into Comancheria and how it happened. Ol' Quanah was a heluva Chief.

It's a great read and gets into Comancheria and how it happened. Ol' Quanah was a heluva Chief.
Quanah Parker was of the Quhada Division and half white. The US government assigned Quanah Parker to his position as Chief of all 6 Comanche divisions, upsetting many People , especially outside the Quhada Division. The Comanche referred to themselves as the People or Horse People.

It was an old Comanche who coached my 1/3 mile walk among the bison at the Wichita Wildlife Refuge at age 17. I froze 2 times when I got the attention of 2 bulls. When I began my walk, I had a boulder picked out about 100 meters at 10:00 I planned to run to should a buffalo (tatanka) charge. When I completed my walk and got into the awaiting Plymoth I saw the old Comanche smile for the first and only time.

Quanah Parker was the last Comanche Chief. All Comanche leaders since are known as Chairman. Cynthia Ann Parker's remains today are buried at Chief's Knoll, Fort Sill beside her son. I've had many tourists ask me why isn't Geronimo buried at Chief's Knoll? Geronomo was a Man of Medicine. I've stood in Geronimo's small cell at the old Fort Sill stockade.

Geronimo and Quanah Parker rode in Roosevelt's 1905 inugeration parade as special guests of Roosevelt. Geonimo died at Fort Sill in 1908 as a prisoner of war. Geronimo's cell was never locked. He came and went vas he pleased.

So how do Comanche feel about him?
I don't know how today's Comanche feels. I'm long gone. Today I have close ties to the Choctaw. My Morgan County, Alabama ancestors were assigned to Haskell County, Oklahoma which is part of the Choctaw Nation. Ancestors told gov authorities "we ain't Indians. We're black Dutch." in hopes of remaining home in Alabama. Gov officials didn't buy in and ordered them to Oklamoma after President Jackson signed the Indian Removal Act of 1830. I am of Cherokee descent.

My past battle with the Eastern Band of the Cherokee left me with, "you're all Cherokee or you are none." "You're really just a colored guy who thinks you're an Indian."

Quanah Parker was of the Quhada Division and half white. The US government assigned Quanah Parker to his position as Chief of all 6 Comanche divisions, upsetting many People , especially outside the Quhada Division. The Comanche referred to themselves as the People or Horse People.

It was an old Comanche who coached my 1/3 mile walk among the bison at the Wichita Wildlife Refuge at age 17. I froze 2 times when I got the attention of 2 bulls. When I began my walk, I had a boulder picked out about 100 meters at 10:00 I planned to run to should a buffalo (tatanka) charge. When I completed my walk and got into the awaiting Plymoth I saw the old Comanche smile for the first and only time.

Quanah Parker was the last Comanche Chief. All Comanche leaders since are known as Chairman. Cynthia Ann Parker's remains today are buried at Chief's Knoll, Fort Sill beside her son. I've had many tourists ask me why isn't Geronimo buried at Chief's Knoll? Geronomo was a Man of Medicine. I've stood in Geronimo's small cell at the old Fort Sill stockade.

Geronimo and Quanah Parker rode in Roosevelt's 1905 inugeration parade as special guests of Roosevelt. Geonimo died at Fort Sill in 1908 as a prisoner of war. Geronimo's cell was never locked. He came and went vas he pleased.
That's some history right there brother. Thank you Sunburnt. 👍

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT