ADVERTISEMENT

ASU strikes again

Talk about premature commitments. He will be a very good wrestler for Arizona State but I have a great grandchild that is to enter this world next week and she will be three years old before his college career starts.

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
Congrats on the new family member!!
I agree on the early commitments, but I would not have minded if it had been here!! Sounds like it was a no brainer for him, but it sure is a long time for things to change. I am hoping to see him wrestle Lee, sounds like he might have already out grown him though.

Reactions: oberebo
Having a strong ASU team with their history and in that part of the country is very good for college wrestling.

Normally with the way things change so quickly in college athletics, this would be ridiculous. That said, if there's any sport where something like this sticks it would be wrestling. Considering how things have started for Jones at ASU I highly doubt things will crater to the point this kid, who's probably a very mature kid, will back out. ASU has been killing it of late.

Olivas is only going to stay at ASU for 2 years and then he is going to transfer to Mizzou. I think that is the new normal for college wrestlers. I am guessing that he did not mention that.

A 17 year old HIGH SCHOOL FRESHMAN, once upon a time it used to be 17-18 year old COLLEGE freshman.

Either 1. he has been left back several times due to not being so good academically, OR 2. he got left back a few times to give himself an unfair advantage over normal aged high school students.

He is an outstanding wrestler no question, but if he got left back 2-3 years just to win some high school tournaments HE and/or his parents are pathetic.

I did not know that he was that old. Possibly the parents wanted to give him time to grow. He just jumped up to 120.

A 17 year old HIGH SCHOOL FRESHMAN, once upon a time it used to be 17-18 year old COLLEGE freshman.

Either 1. he has been left back several times due to not being so good academically, OR 2. he got left back a few times to give himself an unfair advantage over normal aged high school students.

He is an outstanding wrestler no question, but if he got left back 2-3 years just to win some high school tournaments HE and/or his parents are pathetic.
He's not 17

So, 16 and a half. A little old, but not ridiculous.
Exactly. He will be a 16 year old sophomore not a 17 year old freshman.

When he was in 7th grade I didn't think he'd be a full size 106 until his junior year of high school. He was held back once. He has grown significantly over the last year.

There are many more reasons other than those listed in this thread why kids are held back or delayed starting school. I choose not to speculate and let parents raise their kids the way they choose. (That was for those passing judgement, not for you April)

Jason Bryant-The only post knocking his parents or Cade himself was by djb914 and he had his facts wrong. I think that was djb914's first and only post on this board and he is not a regular. More power to Arizona State for getting a good wrestler. My only comment was that it was a premature commitment which it was and is but I guess that is the trend these days. Many of us think that while we believe his good buddy Daton Fix is a lock for OSU that it would be good to get an early commitment from him but Fix is a year older. On the other hand a commitment is only that and Olivas has three years to change his mind.

A little off topic Arizona State could be scary good in 2 years, ESPECIALLY if they get Mark Hall
look at what 165-heavyweight could be.
165- A. Valencia
174-Mark Hall
184-Z. Valencia
195-L. Bennick
285-T. Hall
M. Hall and the Valencia brothers will likely get lots of bonus points at NCAA.

and then they have N. Villareal, Shields, Maruca (unsure of spelling) They will likely get High School star Danny Vega.

Just a guess M. Hall will likely consider Arizona State as he would have the Valencia brothers, Benick and assistant coaches Pendleton and now Ruth is coming according to message boards.

A little off topic Arizona State could be scary good in 2 years, ESPECIALLY if they get Mark Hall
look at what 165-heavyweight could be.
165- A. Valencia
174-Mark Hall
184-Z. Valencia
195-L. Bennick
285-T. Hall
M. Hall and the Valencia brothers will likely get lots of bonus points at NCAA.

and then they have N. Villareal, Shields, Maruca (unsure of spelling) They will likely get High School star Danny Vega.

Just a guess M. Hall will likely consider Arizona State as he would have the Valencia brothers, Benick and assistant coaches Pendleton and now Ruth is coming according to message boards.
Ruth will be in the Octagon punching guys in the face before Hall arrives on a college campus.

Well, I believed everything that had been posted until Tognetti's wild claim. Why that is not possible and I believe it is another Tognetti wild tale. Micco of course has never been known to lie or exaggerate-well one time he did-when he claimed the Swooners had a wrestling team but that is the only time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT