ADVERTISEMENT

Assault Rifle Question

Ostatedchi

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2002
So, I'm shopping for my first assault rifle. Have to admit it is bit overwhelming. Obviously there is no way I'm going to be able to shoot each one of the options.

A few questions.

.223 or 7.62 NATO
Which Manufacturer?
Optics?
What options am I overlooking?

Say you had 2500 to drop on an assault rifle... what would you buy if it was your first one?

A colt. Ar 15 in 556/.223. Colt is top of the line, yes there are other good brands. Spike tactical. If I had $2500 to spend, I'd buy a colt and trick it out. List the brands your considering and I'll rank them, IMO.

Last edited:
About optics, it's funny, people buy expensive optics for semi auto rifles. You can't aim them after your first shot. Some people use red dots, some people use fixed front and rear sites. I have an Nikon monarch on mine, took it off, put a cheaper one on it, and moved the $400 dollar scope to my deer hunting rifle.

Reactions: 3SBennet1975
I'm having my neighbor build mine. I was actually looking at the Colt LE6020 with Magpul accessories out of the box, but he convinced me to just go ahead and have him build one the way I want it. He's a competitive shooter and ex-military with a few years of experience building his own gear, so I figured it was my best option.

I think the opinions on what is the best and all this or that are so variable that it's beyond reason to say definitively which set up or maker is the best of the best.

Colt 6920 in 5.56.
They sell them at Walmart. But most of these things are very similar. I would get an off the shelf AR for a first one vs a build. You can sell your name brand AR, but most people wouldn't buy a mix master. They are fun, but I enjoy all of my other guns more. I think the real fun for most people with these is buying useless gizmos to try out on it.

AR stands for Armalite, the first manufacturer. Assault Rifles go full auto. Which AR15s don't.

List the brands your considering and I'll rank them, IMO.

H&K is my first brand even though it is a bit out of this price point.
Rock River
Black Rain
Daniel Defense

Probably in that order

If those don't work out then on to:
Bushmaster
Colt
Remington
S&W

You can build or have one built that is much better than most name brands. With that said though, I'd get an LVOA from Warsport if money was no object. They are bad mofo's.

For the money, Rock River makes a pretty good AR. Their factory trigger is nice. Most factory triggers are crap. I bought a custom AR in 7.62 from a guy in Florida in December and dropped in a single stage 3.5lb pull CMC trigger. Makes the world of difference on accuracy. I'm sub MOA with crappy ammo with that trigger and barrel set up. Another decent option is DPMS. They're made by Remington.

You might consider getting one chambered in 6.8spc. Little more power than a 5.56 and bullets are readily available now.

As far as optics go, I highly recommend Vortex. Lifetime no questions asked warranty. I have a Vortex Viper HS 2.5x10 on my 7.62 and a Crossfire 3x9x40 w/ illuminated reticle on my bolt .223. The crossfire is their low end model, but you wouldn't know it by looking through it. www.cameralandny.com has great deals on optics, Vortex or not. On my next build I'll be putting on their new 1x6 Strike Eagle, probably on a .223 or 6.8. Another thing to consider for optics is what you're going to be using it for. Plinking, hunting, target shooting, etc. The point above about putting high dollar scopes on AR's being useless does have some merit, but I use my 7.62 for hunting, so I paid more to have a scope that is clear and very good in low light situations.

You'll want dtspoke to chime in on this subject. He seems to be the resident gun expert.

There was a Spikes Tactical at the gun show a couple weeks back for $650 that I passed on. It didn't look terrible, but I just didn't know enough about ARs at the time to make that choice. Later, I found out that it was probably a good deal, but again, I didn't know that at the time. I bought a totally different gun that I knew for sure was a good buy.

I had that same argument for buying a name brand gun, but then I figured I would be having my neighbor rework everything after I bought it. I am not really concerned with selling it later since I haven't sold a gun that I have purchased ever lol. I may end up doing both really, since I have to have two of everything I buy that's hobby related or whatever.

Participated in my first ever rifle match Saturday morning. Very interesting sport. Not being military trained and having very little experience with an AR15 I actually didn't too bad. I hit the targets and I had one brainfart during the 5 stages, but I didn't worry about my time and was just using it as a practice session.

My first stage was a Moving and firing stage, going forward and engaging targets, doing the same with the weak shoulder, and then moving backward. Looks way easier than it really is. After that, they had little scenarios that you had to play out before engaging the targets, the most fun was starting with a pistol in a laundry basket covered with clothes, and having to drop the basket and dig out my pistol and mag. Then you engage targets from a covered position and work forward. Most of the other stages were similar to this. The hardest part is dealing with the tunnel vision and adrenaline rush of having 20 guys that are way more experienced watching and critiquing every move....and on the last stage I was too close to cover and raised my pistol (yes, it was a pistol and rifle match) and had my finger on the trigger, trying to get around a barrel. It was just one second that I did that, but it's a severe no no.

Anyway, wondered if anyone else had any experience with this. It was a $12 entry fee. I used my buddies guns since I don't have an AR yet. Lots of fun. The guys were very nice to me being a newbie and all, which made it easier to settle down a bit and try to focus.

Sounds a lot like 'Front Site'. I haven't been but sounds similar.

I was new to the game as well and in the same money situation. I bought a slightly used scar16, lots of money, lots of fun to shoot. I haven't shot anything else but I couldn't be any happier with this rifle. Red dot optics shooting anything out to 100 yards eotech and aimpoints are sweet, I prefer the eotech. Vortex make good glass if you want to shoot any distance.

Thanks for the link. I'm now researching Colt much more seriously. Thanks everyone for the info.

I just put together my first one (with help since I'm new to this). It's a PSA 5.56/.223 with fixed sights and Magpul furniture.

I wanted to build it so I could learn about it as I researched/built it. Now I just need to put some rounds down range.

Thoughts of piston driven vs. gas driven? For some reason I'm liking the piston driven mechanics from HK or LWRC.
More expensive but seems to be more foul proof.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT