ADVERTISEMENT

As predicted years ago…

Marshal Jim Duncan

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Dec 22, 2013
And pooh poohed by our resident left leaning legal eagle at the time:

I think it will be a little tougher to implement than gay marriage. What's the role of the 3rd individual in the custody of kids following a divorce for example? In societies where polygamy is practiced, you will find the laws are written around the patriarch, whereas in America, we've fought hard to do away with the inequality of marriage partners. Look in the mormon faith for example, its a husband with 'sister-wives'. Same with the Muslim faith. Implementing polygamy without creating some form of marriage hierarchy will be very difficult, and our society is not going to accept relegating certain spouses to a lesser status of the other.

I think it will be a little tougher to implement than gay marriage. What's the role of the 3rd individual in the custody of kids following a divorce for example? In societies where polygamy is practiced, you will find the laws are written around the patriarch, whereas in America, we've fought hard to do away with the inequality of marriage partners. Look in the mormon faith for example, its a husband with 'sister-wives'. Same with the Muslim faith. Implementing polygamy without creating some form of marriage hierarchy will be very difficult, and our society is not going to accept relegating certain spouses to a lesser status of the other.
I don't think it will ever be implemented for the reasons you stated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT