ADVERTISEMENT

Article on Chance Marsteller

Very interesting article. I hope he keeps that incredible drive and determination. Burn-out is not uncommon and his freshman year is crucial whether or not he steps on the mat as a starter or just goes to open tournaments. Sorry about the family situation but he will gain a new family in Stillwater that will help. Good luck to Chance and best wishes.

I hope he ends up being 1 of our all time greats. I think redshirting is the smart move unless he dominates Crutchmer. Also very tough weight to go for an Olympic berth with Burroughs, Taylor and Dake. but 2020 it may look a lot different.

I don't think there will be any question who the best 174 pounder in the room will be but they will have to look at team make up, the weight class and team championship hopes and weigh that in deciding to RS him or hold it in case of an injury down the road.

Just a reminder that this weekend is the National wrestling hall of fame banquet and Chance will be there to accept the Dave Schultz Award. Eric Guerrero will be inducted into the Hall of fame. Great honors for two connected to Oklahoma State wrestling and well deserved by both.

A wrestler that was very prominent in my personal history of Oklahoma State wrestling will also be inducted. Dean Lahr who wrestled for Colorado (Yes Colorado) and was a two time National champion. During the years 1962 to 1964 he and Bob Johnson of Oklahoma State had several memorable battles on the mat and for a neophyte wrestling fan this was the competition that sealed my interest in the sport and Oklahoma State wrestling.

A little more about Eric Guerrero's career as noted in the Oklahoman story today is that he was a 3 time NCAA champion for the Cowboys and compiled a 117-13 overall record as a four year starter. Chance Marsteller was an undefeated 4X Pennsylvania champion with a record of 166-0.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT