ADVERTISEMENT

AR in .308/7.62

Pokes15

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2006
Any of you guys have an AR in .308/7.62? I'm not looking for something that's going to win sharpshooter competitions, but something that is reliable. Mainly use it for pigs and coyotes and probably deer too.

I've found a bunch in my price range, mostly being DPMS, Wyndham, a couple Armalites, and S&W. And I've though about buying it piece by piece and having my neighbor help me build it. The main thing I want is the 18" bull barrel, which is hard to find.

What's the story on dpms? From all the reviews I have read online, they seem to be a pretty good rifle for the money.

I did a DPMS Oracle build with a Noveske barrel in .308 and it was a solid gun. Sold it for another build I did on a 6.8 SPC.

I've also thought about getting an AR in 6.8, but I think I have made my mind up on the .308. I don't reload, and the bullets are easier to find on the .308.

I'm leaning towards to the DPMS G2 Recon, and switching the barrel out for an 18" bull barrel down the road.

What optics did you put on your Oracle, dts? I'm thinking a Vortex model in a 4x12x44.

Burris XTR II 4-20x50 with the Illuminated G2B Mil-Dot Reticle with a 34mm tube. I built it to sell back when AR's were a jillion bucks.

I've got a Viper HS-T 4-16x44 on a .257 Weatherby. Good scope for the money, but I had to send it back because it was on a .338 and the recoil smoked it after about 10 shots. Vortex has really good customer service though.

Mark, I'm not a fan of the Blackout. If I want distance in an AR, .308 is better, but 6.5 Creedmore or Grendel is much better.

Originally posted by Pokes15:
What's the story on dpms? From all the reviews I have read online, they seem to be a pretty good rifle for the money.
One of the issues with DPMS, and it's legitimate, is that they start having cycling issues when used really hard. The reality is you can get a Daniel Defense, BCM, or Colt quality gun at lower prices from companies like PSA and Spikes.

I've been compiling the pieces of a 6.8 SPC build for a while and it's a Frankenshooter for sure.

This one is built from a few different parts and is owned by a member of Denver SWAT. The bottom one is the 6.5 Grendel and it's a long shooter and deer gun.

1069910_10205395350151513_3711205510503656743_n.jpg

10410698_10205395350111512_2616745337355942608_n.jpg

This post was edited on 12/4 11:51 AM by dtspoke

This post was edited on 12/4 11:53 AM by dtspoke

This post was edited on 12/4 11:53 AM by dtspoke

Originally posted by dtspoke:

One of the issues with DPMS, and it's legitimate, is that they start having cycling issues when used really hard. The reality is you can get a Daniel Defense, BCM, or Colt quality gun at lower prices from companies like PSA and Spikes.

I've been compiling the pieces of a 6.8 SPC build for a while and it's a Frankenshooter for sure.
Are you talking about just building one with parts from PSA or SPikes? PSA was having a hell of a cyber Monday deal on .308 uppers and lowers and parts kits.

Thanks for the help.

I have a SCAR 17 that I really like. I have a Vortex Viper PST 1-4X24 scope on it. Not much recoil at all.

Originally posted by dtspoke:

Are you talking about just building one with parts from PSA or SPikes? PSA was having a hell of a cyber Monday deal on .308 uppers and lowers and parts kits.

Thanks for the help.
You can go either way. PSA has good uppers and you can cobble together lowers from other companies that aren't as pricey. First thing I'd do is figure out your caliber (you have), then I'd find a company like PSA or one of the more expensive outfits like DD or BCM and buy the upper in your price range and that meets your specs. I buy lower assemblies, stocks, etc from Magpul or any number of places that has the best buy.

Sometimes I'll buy an upper then buy a better barrel that fits my intended use like a Walther, Noveske, or Daniel Defense.

I really appreciate all the help. I found this online with a price tag of $1275 that I like.

Complete AR-10 (LR308) 16" gas operated rifle
Matrix Aerospace upper and lower matched receiver set
Midwest Industries 15" free floating had guard
NEMO 16" Stainless Steel melonite barrel
Elite Tactical Carbonite bolt carrier group
Matrix Aerospace tactical charging handle
Magpul 6 position adjustable stock
Magpul MOE + grip
Magpul 30 round Magazine

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=456667232

Is this gun worth the money?

That's a Ruger SR762 and they are good guns. Trigger sucks, but the gun is solid and worth that money.

Thanks for the input DTS, I went ahead and bought the rifle mentioned above. Now just have to find some glass for it. My bro-in-law is a rep for Vortex, so I'll hit him up first to see if he has any deals going now. Looking forward to getting that thing out in the field.

Send pics when you get it put together.

If you don't like the trigger, I'd seriously consider getting a Geisselle put in.

Got a huge deal on a Vortex Viper in 4-12x40. I put it on a 7 Mag project I was working on

I have to say that for the money it's excellent and isn't far behind the quality of some of my more serious high dollar set ups. If your brother in law can set you up, I strongly recommend it.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I got a Viper HS 2.5x10 to put on top.

Do you recommend the cantilever rings or traditional for an AR?

I got a Viper HS 2.5x10 to put on top.

Do you recommend the cantilever rings or traditional for an AR?
That's a great setup on that scope.

My personal preference are Talley Tactical rings set up for a Picatinny rail. I use Talley lightweights on almost all of my rifles, but I have had a ton of success with Leupold dovetails and Weavers. Those are personal preferences but there are a tone of great options.

Talley's are pricey though. Really expensive and depending on your use, maybe not necessary.

To further utilize your wealth of knowledge DTS, what bullets do you recommend?

I won't shoot enough to warrant hand loading. It will mainly be a hunting gun. Deer, pigs, and I'll probably bring on my predator hunts. I'll probably tinker with a few different brands to see what the gun likes best, but I won't spending top dollar for bullets.

That's one big benefit of shooting a .308, ammo is plentiful. I've got a couple of rifles I have to hand load for, which I enjoy, but you can't run down to Walmart or Bass Pro and pick up 280 Ackley Improved off the shelf.

Personally, I shoot premium bullets and my favorite flavors are Nosler Accubond, Nosler Partition (technically not a premium), Hornady GMX, Barnes TTSX, Federal Trophy Bonded/Bear Claw, and Hornady A-Max. Depends on the gun and what I'm shooting at.

Frankly, you get any of these I all kinds of weights for the .308 from MidwayUSA to any other online ammo shop.

Honestly though, for what you'll be doing I'd just start with a box of 150 grain Core-lokts and see what the gun does. Shooting 168 grain Interlocks would be a good option. They are good bullets and will kill any deer or pig just fine. And coyotes are made of paper mâché so anything works if your gun will shoot it.

That's the key, find what your gun likes. Some of those Ruger AR barrels are finicky.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I got it zeroed in a couple of days ago at 100yds. Here is the last 4 shot group I shot before I had to get back to work. You are right DTS, the trigger leaves a lot to be desired. I played around with my buddies AR's that have Geissele triggers and I definitely am going to upgrade. Shot with 150gr Core-Lokts

group.jpg

This post was edited on 12/18 9:22 AM by Pokes15

Still pretty good especially getting to know the gun. Those gun are pretty close to MOA so in all reality you aren't very far from it's capability.

You may find a flavor of bullet it really likes and get those groups super tight, especially after you shot the gun for a couple hundred rounds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT