ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone Been Keeping Up With 3D Printed Homes?

2012Bearcat

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2010

Having been in the Real Estate business for decades I've been fascinated by this new technology. I first learned of this when one of my nephews went to work for a company that is developing 3D printers used to build these homes about ten years ago. The concept looks to be very promising and could dramatically lower the cost of home building. I have taken a couple of trips down to Austin and Houston to see a couple of these homes and have been very impresses with what they can do. From what they say the R rating in these home is off the charts, which would make them extremely energy efficient, dramatically lowering electric usage. With our soils here in Texas I do wonder how these homes would be effect by ground movement. Looks to be a promising technology that could revolutionize the home building business.

Having been in the Real Estate business for decades I've been fascinated by this new technology. I first learned of this when one of my nephews went to work for a company that is developing 3D printers used to build these homes about ten years ago. The concept looks to be very promising and could dramatically lower the cost of home building. I have taken a couple of trips down to Austin and Houston to see a couple of these homes and have been very impresses with what they can do. From what they say the R rating in these home is off the charts, which would make them extremely energy efficient, dramatically lowering electric usage. With our soils here in Texas I do wonder how these homes would be effect by ground movement. Looks to be a promising technology that could revolutionize the home building business.
Which homebuilders are using this technology

But will average joe be able to rent the device at a reasonable price?
I don't think the average joe would have the skills to set the system up or mix the concrete properly. What I see is a massive reduction in the time/material costs, substantial energy savings and a house that can handle extreme weather better than a tradition home. From what I've read it takes about 24 hours to print a home from the foundation up.

Reactions: davidallen
I don't think the average joe would have the skills to set the system up or mix the concrete properly. What I see is a massive reduction in the time/material costs, substantial energy savings and a house that can handle extreme weather better than a tradition home. From what I've read it takes about 24 hours to print a home from the foundation up.
Wild now this is the shit I dreamed of as a kid! Just need teleport now so I can stop flying in those death traps.

Reactions: wyomingosualum
In states, like Florida, where most houses are concrete block anyhow, this will be a huge opportunity to lower the construction costs. Where it will make the most difference however will be globally. This technology would go along way in advancing many 3rd world countries to 2nd world status and thus expand the global economy.

Reactions: davidallen
From a landlords perspective I like the idea of concrete walls. I don't know what it is about renters but every time they move out I'm always having to repair holes in the drywall. Try punching a hole in a concrete wall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT