ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody have DirecTV protection plan Premier?

boxter

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2002
If so, how did claims go?

About 2 years ago I decided to include the insurance. They say they will cover Tvs, computers, ect. My original Pioneer Elite Plasma is having some issues after 11 years. The picture has a distortion in the middle of the screen about the size of a softball. Im thinking dead pixels but i have no experience with this stuff.

Repair is coming out tuesday. They say they will pay up to $2k on claims each year. Thats less than 1/3 of what this TV cost me back then.. Im wondering how they arrive at the settlement if it can't be fixed?

http://www.directv.com/technology/protection_plan

I've declined the coverage thinking it sounds a bit fishy. Keep us appraised of the outcome.

If so, how did claims go?

About 2 years ago I decided to include the insurance. They say they will cover Tvs, computers, ect. My original Pioneer Elite Plasma is having some issues after 11 years. The picture has a distortion in the middle of the screen about the size of a softball. Im thinking dead pixels but i have no experience with this stuff.

Repair is coming out tuesday. They say they will pay up to $2k on claims each year. Thats less than 1/3 of what this TV cost me back then.. Im wondering how they arrive at the settlement if it can't be fixed?

http://www.directv.com/technology/protection_plan

I just have the basic protection plan, but from what you describe, it sounds like normal "wear and tear" not caused by a power surge or some other accident that insurance typically covers.

when I bought the premium plan the guy said they would either fix any electronics or replace it. I asked if that would cover any reason the TV failed and he said yes.

I have a feeling they will try to get out of replacing the unit if they can't fix it. I hope I'm wrong. I've paid $25 per month for around 2 years. That's $600 that could've gone to a new tv if they aren't going to cover it.

Newport TV is doing the service in Edmond. They are coming out Tuesday.

https://support.directv.com/app/ans...vered-by-the-directv™-protection-plan-premier?

Last edited:
I've used newport before...over off Memorial. They did ok but it took a while and I had to get involved in finding the parts for the tv's. It was back a year ago. It seemed to take forever and then they called me and said they couldn't get the parts anymore. The gal in the office, not the one who answers the phone and sets up appointments but a different gal...sort of the parts runner kind of gal. Anyway, she wrote down the part numbers on a 3x5 card that I needed and I went home and found the parts online...google is your friend. She suggested I do this. In fact, I found them from the same source that told them they didn't have them. I took 2 tv's in but after going through all that I decided to just repair 1. One was a 42" and the other a 37" and it cost around $175 for the repair so it was a jump ball decision to repair or replace. I made several trips over there during the process so I felt like I should have a time card somewhere to clock in. I did speak with the main guy over the phone early on and he seemed to be pretty knowledgeable but he seemed to be the delegator and maybe that was where the problem was...either that or no one had the initiative to really search hard for the parts. He was never there when I showed up in person which was odd.
They may be absolutely perfect with your situation as when I went back to their work area...it's a pretty large metal building...there were a ton of TV's. So, my experience may be an isolated occurrence. Just thought I would pass it along. It seems that most tv repair now is just R&R type stuff so once they troubleshoot and determine what part it is it's pretty simple...you would think.

2 guys came out and ran some tests today. They say some board is out in the tv and ordered the parts. When they come in they will be out to fix the TV.

Because it took 10 days to get the repairmen out, directv said they would refund the $50 deductible. I have no idea what the total bill would've been but so far it's looking good.

Reactions: gipraw
2 guys came out and ran some tests today. They say some board is out in the tv and ordered the parts. When they come in they will be out to fix the TV.

Because it took 10 days to get the repairmen out, directv said they would refund the $50 deductible. I have no idea what the total bill would've been but so far it's looking good.

wow that's awesome

yep, that is pretty good service on the part of DirectTV. Hopefully they will be able to locate the parts...mine was a board also.

Update
They can't fix my pioneer elite plasma so the offered to replace the tv with a $397 Samsung or a $450 Sony. Since this TV costs over $7k and they still sell for over 2k on eBay, I feel like I should get a better replacement. Maybe I'm thinking the old elite is worth more. The management at Directv protection plan is supposed to see if they can get me more $ on the tv.

I went to SAMs and bought a replacement 2 weeks ago anyway. I was tired of having the old tv off the wall and on a stand since I had to take it off the wall for service. The Samsung I bought isn't as good of a picture as the plasma was but its nice and the price dropped 175 in 1 week. I paid $528 for a Samsung un55h6300afxza. The internet price was around 850-900.

Update. I received a $1800 check today since they can't fix the TV.
It's been a long 3 months of dealing with them.
Directv gave me the option of reimbursing me for the TV I had bought or sending me a free 55" Samsung. I took the Samsung. It arrived damaged a week ago so I emailed Heather who seems to be one of the bosses. I asked her the value of the TV they sent and she said $1800. It sold for around $1k at Amazon.

I told her to just send me a check so this nightmare could end and I wouldn't be waiting for another damaged TV. She agreed. As soon as the TV was in route to the supplier she overnighted the check.

$2000 is the maximum claim in 1 year on the insurance and I'm sure they spent more than that with 2 repair calls and the damaged unit.
I also get to keep my plasma which has a flaw in some pixels but I have a hard time trashing a TV I spent $7k for. Im a horder I guess.

What I learned is they will try to get out as cheap as they can if you will let them. The first offer was a $297 reconditioned TV. The final settlement was $1800.

Reactions: Sebastian
I just filed a claim on a 32" I use in my home office. They are sending me a box to ship it in for repair. Said they will repair or replace it within 3 business days of them receiving it. We shall see how it goes. It is just a cheap Vizio, so not a lot of value, but if I can get a new TV for $50 I am fine with that.

Only one group makes money on insurance programs....and it's not the purchaser.

I paid $25 per month for 2 years =$600 and received a check for $2000 to buy my new tv. They didn't make money off of me so far.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT