ADVERTISEMENT

Ammo addiction

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
I seem to have a problem here...

I can't stop buying ammo. Yeesh. I love to do it. I love seeing all the boxes piled up and all the cartridges neatly packed in their neat little plastic or styrofoam dividers. It's nuts lol. I especially like to buy .22 ammo.

This isn't anything new for my family, dad was a horrible pack rat of tools and especially sockets for some ungodly reason. If I ever need a tool, I just go to the "store", the barn on their property and look through the items in boxes and on shelves. I usually score something I need.

But back to this ammo thing.....it really doesn't matter what it is, but I really dig bulk deals and then after that it's little specialty bullets for my 44-40 Henrys and some of the crazier stuff for the hand guns. I don't really have "zombie prep" on the brain when I do this, just like to have it so I don't ever run out lol.

But I guess I'm not too much of a hoarder....we go through quite a bit of .22 as a family since we all like to shoot. And I have made peace with it in some ways by deciding that it's kinda like a little investment if I don't shoot it all, can always trade some for something else I need and whatnot.

Anyone else crazy as a shit house rat for ammo? My local gun stores love me....and my Christmas list is an easy one for family...

With the exception of my 300 WSM ($1.50-3/cartridge), I buy in lots of 500 rounds minimum. I'm actually down on 9 mm and 45 ACP right now. And I just bought a 380 I haven't loaded up yet. But you can save money on larger lots of shells and in my dry climate, they just don't go bad. At one point, I had over 30,000 9 mm and 45 shells, heh. I have about 1500 of each, now.

I really like to shoot, but my twins keep me from the range, these days.

oh, and I do a lot of searching online for "good deals" on shells. gunbot and ammoseek are a couple that help you find stuff.

Reactions: Steven Seagal
I buy a lot of ammo mainly because I have quite a few calibers that are harder to find. I reload quite a bit too, but when one of my obscure flavors shows up online, I try to buy it.

Speaking of obscure, I'm thinking I need a new small caliber rifle. I have a 22LR, 17HMR, and then 223, 6.8 SPC, and 243. I was thinking I would like something between the two rimfires and the 223. I know the 204 Ruger is pretty popular, but I'm not sure I want something quite that large. I think the 22 hornet would be nice but it seems to be on the way out. The problem I have with the centerfire 17's is wind drift out here on the plains. I'm not going to reload. 22WMR was something I had when I was younger, but they're generally not that accurate and I don't really consider them much of a step up from a 17. If you have a 204, is there any reason to have one and a 223?

I'm actually considering a 44 mag lever action.

Got any suggestions?

I have a 44 mag lever action Henry carbine...I love the hell out of it. I do shoot some 44 specials out of it as well, but it doesn't cycle those as well. I think it's because I was using some cheaper mag tech ammo when I did that though. The 44 special shoots super smooth out of it, and I had a pic on here somewhere of the target I shot with that gun when I first got it, it was pretty Damned accurate for a carbine.

That would be my suggestion, although you may want the 20 inch barrel. I wanted the carbine for a few reasons, one was I like the large loop lever and I dig the short barrel look. Also, it would make a nasty home defense gun due to its ease of maneuvering with a shorter barrel.

With 44 mag, I shot several different rounds, CorBon, Hornady leverolution, Winchester, and American Eagle. Handled them all nicely with not one single jam.

Speaking of obscure, I'm thinking I need a new small caliber rifle. I have a 22LR, 17HMR, and then 223, 6.8 SPC, and 243. I was thinking I would like something between the two rimfires and the 223. I know the 204 Ruger is pretty popular, but I'm not sure I want something quite that large. I think the 22 hornet would be nice but it seems to be on the way out. The problem I have with the centerfire 17's is wind drift out here on the plains. I'm not going to reload. 22WMR was something I had when I was younger, but they're generally not that accurate and I don't really consider them much of a step up from a 17. If you have a 204, is there any reason to have one and a 223?

I'm actually considering a 44 mag lever action.

Got any suggestions?

I think everyone should have a 22-250 in their arsenal. Just a cool centerfire .22 round and so fun to shoot. I've got a Tikka that is just lights out. Killed lots of coyotes, bobcats, and a few deer back east with it.

I have a 44 mag lever action Henry carbine...I love the hell out of it. I do shoot some 44 specials out of it as well, but it doesn't cycle those as well. I think it's because I was using some cheaper mag tech ammo when I did that though. The 44 special shoots super smooth out of it, and I had a pic on here somewhere of the target I shot with that gun when I first got it, it was pretty Damned accurate for a carbine.

That would be my suggestion, although you may want the 20 inch barrel. I wanted the carbine for a few reasons, one was I like the large loop lever and I dig the short barrel look. Also, it would make a nasty home defense gun due to its ease of maneuvering with a shorter barrel.

With 44 mag, I shot several different rounds, CorBon, Hornady leverolution, Winchester, and American Eagle. Handled them all nicely with not one single jam.

I was thinking Henry, Uberti or one of the other levers besides Marlin. I don't think the marlin's are very pretty. 357 would be another caliber I would look at for the rifle but I wouldn't do a typical cowboy action except possibly 45 Colt.

I think everyone should have a 22-250 in their arsenal. Just a cool centerfire .22 round and so fun to shoot. I've got a Tikka that is just lights out. Killed lots of coyotes, bobcats, and a few deer back east with it.

I had a 22-250 but sold it. I think the 243 or the 260 Rem are both better options for my windy environment. And really, the 250 is more rifle than I want. This is more of a <150 yards gun.

If you're near OKC or Stillwater or on a route between OKC and Stillwater and Guymon, OK. I have a couple hundred rounds of 22-250 ammo I would sell very reasonable ;)

My buddy has a .357 Henry, he loves it. Smooth shooting sumbitch.

I have one other rifle, but it's going to be hard to find....a Savage model 24V Series D .357/20 gauge. I mounted a Bushnell scope and it's damned accurate at 75 yards for a pistol caliber rifle. At 50 yards, the rifle and the 20 hit almost the same spot on the target with slugs, but that's kind of a rarity with these as the barrels were rarely regulated well. Plus, it's a single shot, might not be your cup of tea. But I love it, in fact, if my house was burning down I would be grabbing before all the other rifles because it's very rare and even more rare given that it was a pristine example when I got it last spring.

That's it in between the the Henry 44 mag and a Henry Survival Rifle. It's purty with the colored case hardened receiver. I installed the sling, scope, and slip over ammo holder and butt pad.

I was thinking Henry, Uberti or one of the other levers besides Marlin. I don't think the marlin's are very pretty. 357 would be another caliber I would look at for the rifle but I wouldn't do a typical cowboy action except possibly 45 Colt.

I had a 22-250 but sold it. I think the 243 or the 260 Rem are both better options for my windy environment. And really, the 250 is more rifle than I want. This is more of a <150 yards gun.

If you're near OKC or Stillwater or on a route between OKC and Stillwater and Guymon, OK. I have a couple hundred rounds of 22-250 ammo I would sell very reasonable ;)

I really like the 22-250 even in the wind, but if you like the 250, you should look at the 224 or 240 Weatherby Magnum!

my problem is, I buy all this ammo, and then don't want to shoot it.

I have that problem too. I have the boxes all neatly stacked like some of kind of crazy asshole. Then I only use up .22 ammo because it's still cheapest out of everything.

Reactions: osumark
Certain ammo is collectible to some. I am guilty of doing some of that. I have some boxes of 20 gauge, 16 gauge, 12 gauge, and .22 ammo that are full and are anywhere from the 30s to the 70s. I don't have a lot of it, but some of the old boxes are just beautiful. I also dig the small wooden ammo boxes and some of the wooden crates that have been for sale lately. I even have some military ammo still in the sealed containers and whatnot for various calibers.

I got some of it for free...just in the right places at times. Buying ammo is a serious vice for me lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT