ADVERTISEMENT

Advice requested Re: Exercise

BvillePoker

Heisman Candidate
Dec 29, 2004
Would appreciate some advice. I am starting to develop a layer of belly fat at 41 years of age and with my high cholesterol and family history the belly fat is a major problem according to my doctor. I have a bad back that I have been putting off the surgery to correct so I don't know that I can do aerobic exercises like running. I am 5'10" and hit 180 lbs. on the scale this morning. Would like to lose this belly fat and get back down to 160 - 165 lbs. Any advice on exercises routines that can help me accomplish these goals?

I'm the exact same height and weight as you. I think you'll find that 160 to 165 is to thin for your age. I've been there and everyone said I looked gaunt and sick even though I felt great. 170 to 175 should be a comfortable weight range and still look fit as long as you work out.

If you have high cholesterol I highly recommend you get on Atorvastatin or a similar medication. It will really reduce your cholesterol levels, I wished I had started on it when my cholesterol first became borderline because we have a bad history of heart problems in my family and sure enough I had heart problems in my forties and wasn't on medication for cholesterol. I have always worked out and kept my weight under control sometimes genetics take over and their is not much you can do but try and delay it and minimize the problems.

I am currently on a statin to reduce my cholesterol levels. I have gone from 325 to 160 total cholesterol in the year I have been on the medication. In that same year I have developed a layer of fat just around my belly. My doctor is very concerned about the fat that is accumulating just in my belly because that is a precursor to heart disease. I have a small frame with skinnly legs and skinny arms. Right now I look like a damned chicken. I would like to exercise with the specific goal and targeted exercises to reduce the belly fat. I just do not know what those exercise routines are especially with a sick back.

Without knowing what your current fitness level is, it's hard to give a specific plan. However, I can tell you, as a fellow back pain sufferer, what to stay away from & what to focus on until you correct whatever issues plague you.

Don't do: deadlifts, back extensions, barbell squats, russian twists, bent-over rows, overhead presses

Do: chin-ups, pull-ups, planks, front squats, goblet squats, planks, push-ups, one-legged squats, dips, any kind of curls you can perform with a straight posture.

Would appreciate some advice. I am starting to develop a layer of belly fat at 41 years of age and with my high cholesterol and family history the belly fat is a major problem according to my doctor. I have a bad back that I have been putting off the surgery to correct so I don't know that I can do aerobic exercises like running. I am 5'10" and hit 180 lbs. on the scale this morning. Would like to lose this belly fat and get back down to 160 - 165 lbs. Any advice on exercises routines that can help me accomplish these goals?

160lbs sounds pretty scrawny.

Eat better and find a trainer (real one, not some self-proclaimed meathead).

Have you asked your cardiologist about what you can/cannot do?

Start slow and low impact. Yoga and swimming and relaxed pace body weight exercises. Quit feicking smoking. And go walk.

Get a fitness tracker and measure your daily activity. Then set short term activity goals like 5000 steps per day, then 6000, then in a few months 10000 per day.

Learn to eat correctly. No amount of exercise can overcome a poor diet.

For 5'10", 160-165 would be a great weight in my view. This guy is 5'11" and 160-165 pounds:

Start slow and low impact. Yoga and swimming and relaxed pace body weight exercises. Quit feicking smoking. And go walk.

Get a fitness tracker and measure your daily activity. Then set short term activity goals like 5000 steps per day, then 6000, then in a few months 10000 per day.

Learn to eat correctly. No amount of exercise can overcome a poor diet.

I guess you know him? Smoking = Dead man. Hard to do much else when you are sucking a cancer stick. Good luck quitting.

Yes I am going to quit smoking. I have improved my diet considerably though still enjoy some treats once in a while. I am getting 10,000 steps a day on my fitness tracking. I need to step up my game to lose this belly fat.

I'm 5'10" and 245 lol. If I weighed 190 I look like a sick puppy. I know this because I got down to 185 back in 2004 when I was first going through chemo. In my profile pic on here I'm the same weight, 245.

I would be better off at 210, but I'm lazy now. Too easy to get off work, walk into the house, eat dinner, and fall into that bed. Netflix, I blame Netflix.

Yes I am going to quit smoking. I have improved my diet considerably though still enjoy some treats once in a while. I am getting 10,000 steps a day on my fitness tracking. I need to step up my game to lose this belly fat.

So start yoga. It is actually much harder than you would think. Start swimming and do the kettle bell and k ockout classes. Just don't get caught up in it and over do it. Pace yourself.

Form over weight always to protect your back.

Certainly not a dr. But walking is a good start. I was told by my Dr. that running...is actually back friendly...it is a rhythmic motion for the back. But it depends on your injury or problem. Start slow by walking and work your way to light jogging. My word of advice...if it is painful then stop. I have minor back problems and running has never been a problem. Yard work that requires bending over is what puts me down.

Well as a guy with only belly fat this thread sure scared the hell out of me. I am 5'9'' and 192 right now and would like to drop another 15-20 lbs. Seems like 165 would be to skinny I weighed that in college I think.

I've been on a major body transformation since February of last year. Any questions you have, I'd be happy to share my experiences.

Clearly, diet is the key for belly fat. You're not going to exercise it away. Personally, I can't eat "mostly clean" either; it's all in all the time. First order of business is getting an app and track EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth. Water, salt, condiments, etc included. Then get a food scale to make sure you're not lying to yourself about the volume you eat. Do this for a week or so even before you start a diet. I really watch my macros closely.

As far as cardio, I've always had more success dropping fat with steady state exercises over the popular alternatives like HIIT, Tabitha, etc. I do the others, but it's for the cardiovascular benefits, not fat burning. I do all cardio based on heart rate zones and I'd strongly recommend a good chest strap HRM. The wrist models blow goats.

I've never found fitness bands to be very reliable either. They are fun and motivational, but they aren't accurate and greatly inflate the steps etc.

PDT816 is serious about what he's doing. It's about the diet. The macros. Count them for a couple weeks. Learn how many carbs you are consuming, etc....add some cardio. Lift some weights. If you don't want to go to a gym, order something like body beast and buy a few Dumbbells, 10 and 20 pounds to start and do it at home and add in cardio....walking fast paced can be a good workout to stArt.

Do what I did back in 2003 and buy a small book called Beating Cancer with Nutrition by Patrick Quillen. Even if you don't have cancer, if you eat simply based on the chart in that book alone you will drop some serious weight and it will be a healthy drop. It's pretty much based on sugar and carb intake, with an emphasis on eating less processed crap.

Lifestyle modification is the key, but you have to do things in such a way that you don't dread meal time. Once down where you want to be, you can eat a little more "loosely", and then reel it in most of the time. I didn't work out much at all at that time and went from 240 to 185 in about 3-4 months. I was very strict on that diet myself during that time, but then slacked off a bit and maintained that weight for a long time. I would do it again, but as I said above, I'm lazy right now.

One more thing...it's no secret that eating better food is a bit more "expensive", but it doesn't have to be that way entirely. I found ways to cut some costs, it would be a lot to go into on here, but I dont have to spend 300 bucks a week at Whole Foods just to eat well. Just FYI if that comes up.

Quick points:
Nothing specifically targets belly fat. Not diet. Not exercise.
Smoking, drinking (esp. beer), soy, etc. are all things that will **** up your hormones. Those things WILL be a contributor to a disproportionate amount of belly fat. Lower testosterone = more belly fat/man boob.

I wouldn't avoid any type of exercise. A bad back isn't made any better by avoiding movements. If you keep great form, doing lighter weight deadlifts will help you tremendously. Not enough safe pulling is probably why your back is in trouble anyway.

The best low-impact steady-state cardio workouts that are easy to do are swimming, cycling and rowing. Cycling has the advantage of being able to maintain an elevated heart rate for the longest period of time.

Since you aren't very far from your goal weight, I wouldn't focus on cardio. I think weight training followed by a short spurt of cardio is going to get you what you are looking to achieve.

Just because you increase your activity doesn't mean you need another meal or three. The intensity needed to justify a jump in food intake is ALWAYS greater than most people imagine in their head.

I agree that you have to start examining everything in your food. It's not just one thing like macros, calories, cholesterol, etc.
If I wanted to go "hard-core" for a month to trim up, I'd mix the principles of Primal and Zone. That covers quality and quantity without any calorie restrictions that will limit your exercise.

Calorie counting is a recipe for long-term failure.

Don't drink your calories. No amateur athlete needs sports drinks or soda. I completed a 70.3 with some Larabars and lemon water mixed with honey and salt. No cramping.

If you don't stop smoking, everything else is mostly a wash. I used to smoke. Trust me.

Also since I have been doing it for a while now and really love the results. You might try juicing. I do a juice two times a day for 4 days a week. It is a green juice with veggies. Not only have I lost weight doing this but I feel a lot healthier and more alert also. I do one juice in the morning and one in the afternoon so I basically have juice (celery stalk, kale, parsley, cilantro, lime, lemon, green apple, and ginger) for breakfast and lunch. Then for dinner I have chicken or fish with veggies. I was a big smoker over 2 years ago and when I quit I gained a bunch of weight and so far this diet with exercise has really helped me get healthier. That juice will also help clean the plaque out of your veins and help reduce the risk of heart disease.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/the-truth-about-dietary-fat

For years, low-fat diets were recommended as the antidote to high cholesterol and heart disease. But that strategy didn't work, and it may have helped fuel the twin epidemics of obesity and diabetes by encouraging people to replace healthy fats with sugar and refined carbohydrates. Current dietary guidelines give considerable leeway in dietary fat, recommending that you get 20% to 35% of your daily calories from fat. Even more may be fine, as long as it's mostly healthy fats from fish and plant sources, such as avocados, nuts, and vegetable oils. These are considered good for the heart because they tend to lower total and LDL cholesterol and may even be associated with reduced levels of chronic, low-grade inflammation — the kind that fuels heart disease.

For years, experts recommended low-fat diets as a way to lower cholesterol and heart disease risk. Today, we know that low-fat isn't the way to go after all. A healthy diet includes plenty of "good-for-you" fats — and limits the unhealthy ones. Current dietary guidelines recommend that you get 20% to 35% of your daily calories from fat. Even more may be fine, if you follow these simple guidelines.
Favor the "good" fats
The best sources of healthy fats are oily, cold-water fish, such as salmon and tuna; plant sources such as avocados and nuts; and vegetable oils, such as olive, canola, soybean, and cottonseed oils. These fats promote heart health because they lower cholesterol levels — and they may even fight chronic inflammation, which may contribute to heart disease.
It's okay to get up to 35% of your daily calories from fat — as long as most of it comes from sources like these.
Limit saturated fats
Typical sources of saturated fat include animal products, such as red meat, whole-fat dairy products, and eggs, and also a few vegetable oils, such as palm oil, coconut oil, and cocoa butter. Saturated fat can increase your levels of "bad" LDL cholesterol. But it has some benefits, too — it lowers triglycerides and nudges up levels of "good" HDL cholesterol.
The role of saturated fat in heart disease is currently under debate. For now, it's best to limit your intake of saturated-fat–rich foods.

Avoid trans fats
Trans fats are found in many commercial baked goods, processed foods, solid margarines, and deep-fried restaurant foods. These fats have no nutritional value — and we know for certain they are bad for heart health. Trans fats increase LDL cholesterol and triglyceride levels and while reducing levels of HDL cholesterol.
Recently, the FDA banned trans fats from the U.S. food supply. The phasing-out process is expected to take three years. The encouraging news is that many major food suppliers and restaurants have already substituted healthier fats for trans fats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT