ADVERTISEMENT

Abolish Oklahoma legislative salary?

Should we abolish legislative salary in Oklahoma?

• Yes

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd argue to increase it. If you eliminate it then you further limit the field to retirees and independently wealthy.
If you want more working class, average joe types - make it a wage someone could actually live on.

Even if I wanted to run, I couldn't afford to quit my job if elected. Not for 37K a year.

Reactions: ThorOdinson13
I'd argue to increase it. If you eliminate it then you further limit the field to retirees and independently wealthy.
If you want more working class, average joe types - make it a wage someone could actually live on.

Even if I wanted to run, I couldn't afford to quit my job if elected. Not for 37K a year.

This is exactly it. It never ceases to amaze me that many who complain the most about how much legislators make or that they are beholden to a special interest seem to think no salary would solve something. It would only make them more likely to accept favors.

That used to be my thought, too. I've decided financial status is irrelevant in determining how reps personally vote. Paupers vote rich and rich vote poor pretty frequently.

I think the rich will always look out for their best interest first. Maybe in the end it doesn't really matter, prince or pauper? I do think Jefferson had a good point when he talked about the natural aristocracy.

One great thing Texas does is have them only meet every other year. Keeps them from trying to pass stupid crap like the AP History deal and keeps them focused on the real issues. Should be the model for US gov too.

One great thing Texas does is have them only meet every other year. Keeps them from trying to pass stupid crap like the AP History deal and keeps them focused on the real issues. Should be the model for US gov too.

The AP History and the hoodie legislation both died in committee. But that part didn't make the papers. Or to the inter webs.

The AP History and the hoodie legislation both died in committee. But that part didn't make the papers. Or to the inter webs.

True, but the embarrassment remains. That crazy legislation always makes the news, and it seems Oklahoma is responsible for about half of the "LOOK AT THIS CRAZY BILL!" stories we see in the national media now. Given the state of Oklahoma's education, criminal justice, infrastructure, child welfare system (the most unforgivable, imo) and budget I'm ready to totally reshuffle the state government deck. Hell, even Texas is better. Nobody in OKC sends their kids to public schools. Now, even my friends in small towns are commuting to private schools for their kids. Oklahoma is getting more and more like a third world country outside of the "nice" areas.

So parents choosing private schools and homeschooling is a sign of a 3rd world country to you?

It could be if its due to no public school alternative. Most contemporary, industrialized countries take public education very seriously.

Parents moving their kids to private schools and homeschooling isn't just and OK trend.

Not meant to be a full time job. Put limits on national legislators like we have here

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT