ADVERTISEMENT

A photo I've never seen before

AC_Exotic

MegaPoke is insane
Jul 31, 2014
Parts Unknown
www.clinteastwood.net
vintage_photos_that_document_interesting_snippets_of_history_640_high_10.jpg

I've seen pics of an older Lincoln without the beard.

What's so odd is I've never seen a pic of him this young.

Probably not as odd as you think. Photography really only became commercially available in 1839. That photo was taken the following year, when photography was still in its infancy. There is almost no chance that there were any pics taken of Lincoln when he was younger, and he probably was photographed very infrequently over the following decade.

Who knows what president had the earliest recorded voice? Without googling, I think it was Benjamin Harrison, but I may be wrong.

Just looked it up, it was in fact Benjamin Harrison. Yay me.

Little known facts aren't any fun to expound upon anymore with google lol.

Reactions: AC_Exotic
I'm sure I never saw that picture either. Nice post.

Twenty-five years and a beard didn't help his looks any. Four years of civil war couldn't have helped either. Obviously.

It's confusing to look at his images online. Any drawings of him that resemble that photo claim to be him as a teenager, which he was not in 1840. He would have been 31 in that photo.

No, but I've recently read a large biography that described a lot more detail of the day-to-day goings on in the Civil War White House than I knew. Incredible.

I was struck by his willingness to accept responsibility for his many mistakes, but also to take the blame for the mistakes of subordinates. I don't know how he withstood the losses and ineptitudes of his military for so long.

Good bio on Franklin on one of the History channels a few nights ago. What a life!

One great moment -- still thinking he could rescue the relationship between crown and colonies, he was in London to plead our case when news of the Boston Tea Party hit town. He was called before a group of the king's highest counselors in an old courtroom dubbed the Cock Pit.

The chief magistrate and others tongue-lashed Ben for hours. One of the show's historians said Franklin walked into that room a subject of the British Crown and walked out an American.

I'm reading 'The Quartet,' by Joseph Ellis. Stories of Washington, Hamilton, Jay and Madison. Makes me support pulling Jackson off the twenty and leaving Hamilton on the ten.

Even growing up in the Texas Panhandle with no NA acquaintances (that I knew of), I remember learning a tiny bit about Jackson in school and thinking he was a jerk towards the Indians.

This is compositionally a great portrait. Classic Rembrandt lighting. Better than most modern lighting setups. Thanks for posting.

Unrelated but my summer reading this year is "Two Years Before the Mast" written in 1840. Really makes this time period come alive and seem not so long ago.

Not really enough shadow on his right cheek for classic Rembrandt is there? I'd like to see a little more Rembrandt triangle there. (Now you know I'm just messing with you Mega! Inter-thread messing at that.)

It's an incredible exposure for that date. Unreal.

I wonder about some of the sketches of young Lincoln online. As I said above they look more like Lincoln than the photograph. Were they artists' impressions of what they thought he should have looked like as a teen?

How common were hand-drawn portraits at that time? He hadn't really done anything remarkable enough yet for someone to just offer to sketch a teen, had he?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT