ADVERTISEMENT

A little gunsmithing

dtspoke

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Aug 19, 2003
So, a few months ago I bought a slick Mark V Accumark in .300 Weatherby from longrangebunnykiller. Thought I'd drop a couple of quick pics to show some of the work I did and the results.

It was already a great gun, but i got such a good deal, I couldn't help but tinker. I used Pro-Bed to glass bed the action, and since the Accumark already has a free floated barrel, I left it alone.

Then I did a Cerakote application in Graphite Black including bolt (except for bolt face), floorplate, and trigger assembly. Took the trigger down just a touch for a little lighter, crisper poundage.

Finally, I put a removable Accubrake on, which I have often debated for a smaller caliber like a .30. Noise isn't appreciably worse, but it did drop felt recoil more than I had expected. Made shooting off the bags at a clip of a round a minute very nice.

Results are below. Without going into the minutiae of my MPBR calculations, the target below is shooting loads of IMR7828 (84.5 gr) with Nosler AccuBonds in 180 grains at 30 yards holding dead on. Much better than MOA, probably closer to .5.

It's a hunting rig so it's set up to drag through the woods for elk, specifically the optics, but it's a really good gun. Total bill besides gun and optics, $225.00.

Just graduated to my number 1 elk shooter for the near and distant future. Thanks lrbk.

13122921_10209554971619450_845295505760284457_o.jpg

13119047_10209554972539473_6424188398643552368_n.jpg

Reactions: panhndlpoke
That's a sweet set up, and nice results.

I just recently acquired a 1962 Winchester model 100. If anybody is familiar with this gun, it's been know for its poor accuracy. .308. But, most of the testing was done with ammo from back in the day, so I'm betting with some new ammo and perhaps a little barrel bedding, I could make it shoot a little better. It's semi auto, so it won't group as nice as a bolt gun but the recoil should be decent.

This was a gun that belonged to an old man who bought it new back in 62 and used it for elk and such back up until the 80s or so. I even have some ammo dated 1962 on the head stamp lol.

I cleaned it up, has very light surface rust on the barrel, but other than that it's in fine shape. It will be the next gun I "review" but this time I will post some targets and what not. Need to do that with the HK91, it's impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT