ADVERTISEMENT

.44 Magnum Henry

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
First...I think I will call this "Rulz' board", since everyone else has turned fart ass and left.

Anyway, I had the pleasure of shooting my new Henry 44 magnum carbine today. I actually shoot both .44 special and .44 magnums. .44 special feels like .38 special really, no real recoil (to the experienced shooter anyway). The 44 magnum isn't bad with the heavy octagon barrel, it may be a bit hotter with the 16.5 inch carbine as opposed to the regular Big Boy .44 magnum Henry, but it's definitely nothing like what you feel with say a Ruger Redhawk or some other handgun.

I shot a small group Of 4 shots with .44 mag at 40 yards, not off hand, I was leaning over a table. Not too bad, I just kept following my shot, would have had 6 in that group but I got cocky and tried for a bullseye. Missed just below

The other holes on the left and top of the target were from another gun from someone that was on the range befor me. I really love this gun! I'm getting more and more used to it, can't wait to try it on some steel targets from longer distances.

Reactions: Steven Seagal
Just so your not so lonesome over here, I'll ask. You really have a nice group going there, so did you try adjusting your sights (windage) to center them?
Also did you try shooting farther out? (i.e. 75-100 yds yet? Thanks for sharing your fun.... glad you're enjoying the Henry! Keep us posted...

I think it's on pretty much for windage, I took my first shot and jerked it right so I followed it up with 4 more. That last one below the bullseye was me trying for a bullseye. It was 40 yards, leaning on a table. Kinda off hand but not lol.

What I have found is that this gun shoots a little high even adjusted all the way. My Evil Roy .22 does the same thing, maybe it's just me. These buckhorn sights are kinda PITA, probably getting some skinner slights for both guns soon. My Original Henry is dead on at 100 yards...I didn't take pics but when I shot with it I was shooting a 3 inch group from a rest at 100. To me that's pretty damned amazing for a lever gun based off of 1860s tech lol.

I haven't taken any farther shots other than 50 yards with the 44 magnum. In carbine form, the 44 magnum isn't too hard on my shoulder. My wife is afraid to shoot it, but she's 100 pounds and 5 foot tall, and I'm not an idiot that lets small women and kids get ahold of a high powered gun and do something stupid. She has shot my .357 Ruger security six, she handled it well, but I coached her up pretty good before all that. Her group from 12 yards first time was amazing..

I coUldnt have done any better. Her first shot was the one closest to the bullseye lol. She had a VP9, but now she carries that old hog leg of a gun because she says she's more comfortable with it. Strange to me...she had a damn nice 9mm and chose to take my old Ruger from me lol.

Last edited:
I honestly didn't know how to get to this board with the changes in platform... then kinda forgot about it until today...

damn rulz, that is some pretty nice groupings dawg...

although, you were shooting like a girl leaning over a table... but hey, as long your skirt didn't fly up on ya your good right... (just busting your va ja ja a little)

excellent grouping for 40 yards bruh!!!

It's all good lol. I did better yesterday, off hand at 50 I was nailing my 2-3 inch paddle with authority...So I'm getting more comfortable with it. It's a fun little beast.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT