ADVERTISEMENT

3floyd's

EvilPOKES

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Apr 23, 2008
Earth
Anyone drink their stuff? Recently moved to Indiana and people are raving about it. I have only just recently tried the Gorch Fock (SP?) and thought it was pretty damn good.

I am on a mission to try their Zombie Dust (and find a couple of bottles for my boss), but it seems damn near impossible to find any in Lafayette/West Lafayette.

Edit: I tried Gumballhead, also. It wasn't as good as Gorch Fock...as I am not a huge grape fruit fan.

Last edited:
Not available here so not very much experience, but friends who are beer geeks rave about them. I've had the Alpha King (APA) and the Zombie Dust (also APA). Both were very good to outstanding.

I've tried a bunch of them. Gumball is probably my least favorite.

Zombie Dust shows up periodically around here and disappears within the same day or two.

I've drank a ton of it. If you're in Lafayette you are only an hour or so from the brewery. I would go visit just because. Great tap room and the food is good too. That's probably your best bet to get some Zombie Dust (plus it's cheaper there; $10 a six or $40 a case). You can keep track of when it's available by checking the "beers to go" link on their website. Here's a link...

http://www.3floyds.com/beers-to-go/

Permanent Funeral is probably my favorite beer they make. It's the best of their double IPAs IMO. Other than ZD not a big fan of their pales. I like Gumballhead. It's actually a pale wheat with TONS of Amarillo hops (probably where you're picking up the grapefruit). And of course their biggest beer is Dark Lord, a Russian Imperial Stout at 15% ABV. It's only released one day a year at the brewery and is an outdoor ticketed event. I went last year and had hoped to meet up with Anodyne who was also there, but the 40 degree weather and 30 mph winds weren't conducive to socializing.

All that being said, I know where some is now in Louisville. It's been on the shelf for at least a week. I haven't picked it up because 1)I've drank a lot of it lately 2)it's about 5 weeks old now (ancient!) and 3)the store is charging $3.50 a bottle. If you or Adverpoke are interested I can see what I can do to help.

Reactions: EvilPOKES
I've drank a ton of it. If you're in Lafayette you are only an hour or so from the brewery. I would go visit just because. Great tap room and the food is good too. That's probably your best bet to get some Zombie Dust (plus it's cheaper there; $10 a six or $40 a case). You can keep track of when it's available by checking the "beers to go" link on their website. Here's a link...

http://www.3floyds.com/beers-to-go/

Permanent Funeral is probably my favorite beer they make. It's the best of their double IPAs IMO. Other than ZD not a big fan of their pales. I like Gumballhead. It's actually a pale wheat with TONS of Amarillo hops (probably where you're picking up the grapefruit). And of course their biggest beer is Dark Lord, a Russian Imperial Stout at 15% ABV. It's only released one day a year at the brewery and is an outdoor ticketed event. I went last year and had hoped to meet up with Anodyne who was also there, but the 40 degree weather and 30 mph winds weren't conducive to socializing.

All that being said, I know where some is now in Louisville. It's been on the shelf for at least a week. I haven't picked it up because 1)I've drank a lot of it lately 2)it's about 5 weeks old now (ancient!) and 3)the store is charging $3.50 a bottle. If you or Adverpoke are interested I can see what I can do to help.
Nex time I may be down in the 'Ville area will be labor day to spend time with my Aunt's family. What store is it? I may ask her to run by and pick it up for me as a favor. Or send my dad to get it when he is down there next weekend for his 40th Reunion in New Albany, IN.

Nex time I may be down in the 'Ville area will be labor day to spend time with my Aunt's family. What store is it? I may ask her to run by and pick it up for me as a favor. Or send my dad to get it when he is down there next weekend for his 40th Reunion in New Albany, IN.

Liquor World
2403 S Shelby St, Louisville, KY 40217
(502) 634-1080

Real close to UofL campus. I'll be stopping by there on my way home today. If it's gone, I'll let you know.

Perfect! Aunt lives off Greenup, so she isn't far from that store I think.

I like Zombie Dust. I drink 3 Floyd's quite often, and going to the Dark Lord fest is on my to do list, but 40 degrees 30mph winds just dropped it down a few notches.

I'm going to Black Sky Festival in Denver in December if anyone is going to be going to that.

Quick update: stopped by the store on Friday after work and the ZD was gone. Stopped in again this morning on the way in and there are 3 bottles on the shelf. He also has lots of other 3F. Alpha Kong, Wigsplitter, Battle Priest, Gorch Fork, Robert the Bruce, and some Yum Yum.

Gorch is damn good.

My parents are going to stop by there tomorrow when they get into the ville for me. Thanks for checking!

3F's distillery will be coming online soon. They also (finally) greatly increased their brewing capacity recently. They had advanced plans to open a brewpub in Chicago, in Pilsen on the South Side I believe (where the principle brewers and owners lived, at least at the time), but the old warehouse they bought for the purpose burned down. One of the greatest one-two punches in the Midwest is a day at the Whiting Pierogi Fest in the shadows of the BP refinery, then over to 3Fs (in mid-July each year). The Hammond Visitors Center has for the last few holiday seasons hosted an exhibit based on A Christmas Story, which is highlighted by several animatronic scenes from the movie (Ralphie and Santa, "Frag-e-lay," Bumpus' hounds, etc)---the novel was written by a Hammond native). Miller Beach in Gary is really cool to drive through. Nelson Algren lived there. They have a few showcase houses from the 1933 Worlds Fair, which they towed there along the lake from Chicago. It's a National Historic Site. The dunes are great in the summer, even though "Mt Baldy" is still closed after it swallowed a kid a few years ago (he survived, amazingly). There is a section of Gary, previously unincorporated, that is home to a couple of thousand low-income whites of southern extraction. Cue the dueling banjos. Northwest Indiana is, uh, interesting.

3F's distillery will be coming online soon. They also (finally) greatly increased their brewing capacity recently. They had advanced plans to open a brewpub in Chicago, in Pilsen on the South Side I believe (where the principle brewers and owners lived, at least at the time), but the old warehouse they bought for the purpose burned down. One of the greatest one-two punches in the Midwest is a day at the Whiting Pierogi Fest in the shadows of the BP refinery, then over to 3Fs (in mid-July each year). The Hammond Visitors Center has for the last few holiday seasons hosted an exhibit based on A Christmas Story, which is highlighted by several animatronic scenes from the movie (Ralphie and Santa, "Frag-e-lay," Bumpus' hounds, etc)---the novel was written by a Hammond native). Miller Beach in Gary is really cool to drive through. Nelson Algren lived there. They have a few showcase houses from the 1933 Worlds Fair, which they towed there along the lake from Chicago. It's a National Historic Site. The dunes are great in the summer, even though "Mt Baldy" is still closed after it swallowed a kid a few years ago (he survived, amazingly). There is a section of Gary, previously unincorporated, that is home to a couple of thousand low-income whites of southern extraction. Cue the dueling banjos. Northwest Indiana is, uh, interesting.

If we're talking Gary, IN then you have to mention 18th Street Brewery. They make some outstanding beers. Their Hunter series is top notch and their A Deal With The Devil DIPA is world class. Great little brewpub too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT