ADVERTISEMENT

2015 USA Wrestling's National Dual Championships, Tulsa,OK

Happy to eat crow as it appears it came down to the final match and OSU recruit Andrew Marsden defeated Kyler Childress . Papa Bear if you go by seeding points alone Oklahoma has 38 and Illinois has 42. However I am going to stick to my guns and say Oklahoma will win. They can and will reverse a match or two in freestyle where they lost in Greco. I will be there along with Mr. Earl and KC Scott cheering them on. One other thing in Oklahoma's favor is the #2 wrestler in the country P4P will be in the lineup at 120. I was at meetings during the afternoon so I did not see the last two duals but for Greco finishing 4th is very good for Oklahoma. BTW Togneto should have no part in this conversation as he backed out of coming. He did however have a very good reason.

BTW Togneto should have no part in this conversation as he backed out of coming. He did however have a very good reason.
If you need to sell Mike's ticket for Saturday's session, I would be happy to take it off your hands.

9 matches to 6. In 2 of the OK wins IL sat starters and in another was winning comfortably before a head lock/pin. Based on the way IL was rolling he was not wrong in thinking IL was much better at Greco (maybe reaching with talks of OK possibly not winning a match). IL still won and it could have been worse.

Where he might eat crow is thinking OK is the favorite in freestyle. I see them being favored at only 6 of 15 weights vs IL.
Just out of curiosity, what are your 6. I am not familiar with Illinois upper weights, but I have Oklahoma favored at 100, 120,126,132,138,145 and 152. I give Oklahoma the edge at 160, especially since White was at 152 for GR.

I noticed that Mat 1 had Fix Enterprises LLC. I would suppose that is Daton's family?

Gfeller is so slick! Kaid Brock is very quick. What a tough three wrestlers in a row when you throw in Fix.

Just out of curiosity, what are your 6. I am not familiar with Illinois upper weights, but I have Oklahoma favored at 100, 120,126,132,138,145 and 152. I give Oklahoma the edge at 160, especially since White was at 152 for GR.
I had all the same except 145 and White was at 160 for Greco. I'm sure there will be matches that don't go how we expect and it will be a good dual.
I wasn't doubting any predictions, just commenting on the "favored" remark. I have IL in a nail biter.

I had all the same except 145 and White was at 160 for Greco. I'm sure there will be matches that don't go how we expect and it will be a good dual.
I wasn't doubting any predictions, just commenting on the "favored" remark. I have IL in a nail biter.
My bad, I really thought I saw him listed at 152. I agree it will be close.

So far today oklahoma has defeated NC 63-2, Pennsylvania 50-13, and Michigan 49-18.

I see where Oklahoma defeated Illinois to win the championship 37-28. I did not get to watch any of the matches though. That was a little larger margin than I thought either team could have.

I see where Oklahoma defeated Illinois to win the championship 37-28. I did not get to watch any of the matches though. That was a little larger margin than I thought either team could have.
Same here. Roll through pin at hwt was 7 point swing that contributed to the spread. Everything else but hwt/160 went about how I expected.

This Oklahoma team has some very impressive and talented kids. This was the only day I got to attend, but I was very well pleased with what I saw.

Papa Bear it was a nail biter but I am glad Oklahoma cam through. Illinois has a great team but Oklahoma was not to be denied. Just got back from Tulsa and had a great time with Mr.Earl, KC Scott, Cachap, and Micco. Of course Micco had the added attraction of bringing two of my cutest grand daughters so that topped off the event along with the lovely Kristin who had Micco under control and has had for many years. She is able to do what I never was able to do and he definitely does not sass her back. Seeing many of our recruits families was also a distinct pleasure including the Dierengers, Mrs. Lewallen, the Moran's, the Fixes (future recruit) and others. Great families all. The Smiths were represented by John,Pat, Leroy and Joe. Mike Sheets was there to root on his son Wyatt who did great. Got to congratulate Andrew Marsden for his fine showing. Big Apple was there and I introduced him to Micco so the two OU fans were able to commiserate. Mr.Earl and I felt special as due to Stacey and Dean Fix (her youngest) we got autographed copies of the Oklahoma junior team. The event was run well and it was a great venue for the fan. Hope to see many more there in the future.

Good call on 145, I was going mainly on Morans victories over kolodzik.
O'Connor is the most underrated kid in the country. He is/always has been the best kid in IL's class of 2017... a class that includes Gomez/Renteria. He's money when the lights shine but has been known to sleepwalk through the freco season.

Hats off to the Okies. Neither team had much wiggle room and they defended home turf and their title in good fashion.

Papa Bear it was a nail biter but I am glad Oklahoma cam through. Illinois has a great team but Oklahoma was not to be denied. Just got back from Tulsa and had a great time with Mr.Earl, KC Scott, Cachap, and Micco. Of course Micco had the added attraction of bringing two of my cutest grand daughters so that topped off the event along with the lovely Kristin who had Micco under control and has had for many years. She is able to do what I never was able to do and he definitely does not sass her back. Seeing many of our recruits families was also a distinct pleasure including the Dierengers, Mrs. Lewallen, the Moran's, the Fixes (future recruit) and others. Great families all. The Smiths were represented by John,Pat, Leroy and Joe. Mike Sheets was there to root on his son Wyatt who did great. Got to congratulate Andrew Marsden for his fine showing. Big Apple was there and I introduced him to Micco so the two OU fans were able to commiserate. Mr.Earl and I felt special as due to Stacey and Dean Fix (her youngest) we got autographed copies of the Oklahoma junior team. The event was run well and it was a great venue for the fan. Hope to see many more there in the future.
So I noticed we forfeited 182 the last 2-3 matches and it looks like we lost every match. Was Dieringer injured?

So I noticed we forfeited 182 the last 2-3 matches and it looks like we lost every match. Was Dieringer injured?
Yes he was injured and has a high ankle strain. In addition he has been ill and lost weight and he was definitely undersizsed.They have not been able so far to put the weight back on.

O'Connor is the most underrated kid in the country. He is/always has been the best kid in IL's class of 2017... a class that includes Gomez/Renteria. He's money when the lights shine but has been known to sleepwalk through the freco season.
I was very impressed with O'Connor too. Louis Hayes if he ever gets big enough is highly impressive and obviously impressed with Andrew Marsden Cowboy recruit. I can't wait until he gets in the room full time and gets to work with the weights.He is a raw talent athletic wise but highly skilled in his moves and obviously stronger than he looks. Fix and Gfeller look like twins out there only Gfeller is taller. Joe was easily the best wrestler at 160. Not impressed at all with White for Illinois at 160 except for his size. How he made weight is beyond me. He looked to be a 184pounder. Just my IMHO but I thought the most valuable wrestler on the Oklahoma team might have been my close friend (Bo) Boo Lewallen followed by the Mopsey twins at 120 and 126 and Joe Smith. Wyatt Sheets also looked strong in most of his matches and he definitely will be a sleeper in a year.

Speaking of Marsden, I saw he lost to Singletary from Blair at 220. Is that the same guy that beat Dierenger at Geary this year? I think Joe Smith is going to be really good, he looks like he has never seen a weight room and still pushes the pace and is so technical. Kaid Brock must get so frustrated, he shoots and shoots and gets countered non stop. In the match with McKee almost every point scored either way was off of one of his shots. I was really impressed with Korey Walker, he moves really well for his size, anyone know his plans? Fix and Gfeller are both really fun to watch, hopefully they both end up in Orange. Did Illinois bump Gomez up to take on Gfeller. Sheets looked good, but he seems to be a little stiff and let's people to his legs a bit to easily. Congrats to the Oklahoma team for repeating!!

I know 1st hand White has done very little exercise since the season ended. He hasn't been training and was not planning to attend the duals but was coaxed into it at the last minute... he wanted to leave after greco. He did not prepare for that level of competition and it showed. If you've watched any of his other big matches before the duals you can tell he was not on. He was on his heels in several matches this weekend when he is usually the aggressor. He is not that big. He walks around in the mid 160s.

IL were underdogs at 120/126. Out of all the options at those weights the best chance of stealing one was Gomez vs Gfeller. I agreed with that move. Nothing gained/nothing lost.

I know 1st hand White has done very little exercise since the season ended. He hasn't been training and was not planning to attend the duals but was coaxed into it at the last minute... he wanted to leave after greco. He did not prepare for that level of competition and it showed. If you've watched any of his other big matches before the duals you can tell he was not on. He was on his heels in several matches this weekend when he is usually the aggressor. He is not that big. He walks around in the mid 160s.

IL were underdogs at 120/126. Out of all the options at those weights the best chance of stealing one was Gomez vs Gfeller. I agreed with that move. Nothing gained/nothing lost.
I agree on it being the best move, I couldn't remember if Gomez was 120 or 126 and was too lazy to look it up.

Flo picks Hayden Hidlay wrestler of the week. He wrestled in the Junior duals at 152 and was 17-0 combined Greco/FS.He dec. Wyatt Sheets 11-10 in their match. He deserves the honor based on his 17-0 record. Kaden Gfeller had to be a close second as he had a combined win loss record of 13-0 and beat #9 Ian Parker from Pa.,#3 Austin Gomez of Il. by tf 11-0, Cam Sykora and Iowa's Nolan Hellickson. He was an offensive dynamo.

Speaking of Marsden, I saw he lost to Singletary from Blair at 220. Is that the same guy that beat Dierenger at Geary this year? I think Joe Smith is going to be really good, he looks like he has never seen a weight room and still pushes the pace and is so technical. Kaid Brock must get so frustrated, he shoots and shoots and gets countered non stop. In the match with McKee almost every point scored either way was off of one of his shots. I was really impressed with Korey Walker, he moves really well for his size, anyone know his plans? Fix and Gfeller are both really fun to watch, hopefully they both end up in Orange. Did Illinois bump Gomez up to take on Gfeller. Sheets looked good, but he seems to be a little stiff and let's people to his legs a bit to easily. Congrats to the Oklahoma team for repeating!!
korey walker is attending ocu in okc. he got a few looks from d1 schools but money wasn't that great so he choose to attend an instate school with most of his college being paid for. Glad my guy boo lewallen is doing well. i would like to think i had a little to do with him coming to osu because he was a big nebraska/ ou fan before i met him 4 years ago; but forgive my arrogance jk. coach smith said if he can stay healthy he will be a good one. i believe kaid would beat that guy in a folkstyle match its just he has to get his strength level up. he seems to have trouble with stronger guys. and yes that is the guy who beat dierenger at geary

korey walker is attending ocu in okc. he got a few looks from d1 schools but money wasn't that great so he choose to attend an instate school with most of his college being paid for. Glad my guy boo lewallen is doing well. i would like to think i had a little to do with him coming to osu because he was a big nebraska/ ou fan before i met him 4 years ago; but forgive my arrogance jk. coach smith said if he can stay healthy he will be a good one. i believe kaid would beat that guy in a folkstyle match its just he has to get his strength level up. he seems to have trouble with stronger guys. and yes that is the guy who beat dierenger at geary
That's a big jump in weight for Singletary.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT