ADVERTISEMENT

1996 called and told Trump that Bill Clinton already took care of that

hollywood

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Trump - "I believe the time has come for new immigration rules which say those seeking admission into our country must be able to support themselves financially and should not use welfare for a period of at least five years." Trump added that he wanted to pass legislation making this law "very soon." (Speech at a MAGA rally in Cedar Rapids, Iowa June 21, 2017)

The thing is, Bill Clinton already signed legislation making this the law back in 1996.

Does Trump not know this, or is he banking on his supporters being so ignorant that when he tosses this sort of "red meat" their way, they won't know that this is already the law?

If that portion of the law is not being followed, it's ALL ON HIM!

It's his Justice Dept and AG who are responsible for enforcing this aspect of the law, which was passed by a Democratic controlled Congress and signed into law by Bill Clinton.

Sorry, can't buy that as a justification. The law is already on the books for over 2 decades and is just as enforceable today as it was on the day it was signed.

It's his Justice Dept and AG who are responsible for enforcing this aspect of the law, which was passed by a Democratic controlled Congress and signed into law by Bill Clinton.

Sorry, can't buy that as a justification. The law is already on the books for over 2 decades and is just as enforceable today as it was on the day it was signed.

And if Obama wasn't enforcing it? Just asking. No clue if he did or didn't?

Reactions: AC_Exotic

Who's the bigger racist now? Trump or Clinton?

Reactions: Medic007
If there's a law on the books requiring that one can't apply or receive welfare benefits and it is or was not being enforced, then the issue isn't that the law exists or doesn't exist. That's the logical point I was trying to make.

As far as I know the law was being enforced and if it wasn't, that's now 100% under Trump's control as he could order it to be enforced.

To advocate for a "new" law, when that law already exists is the issue I'm raising. It means that Trump does NOT KNOW that such a law already exists, or he's basically lying by omission by claiming that such a law is necessary.

Reactions: Been Jammin
Trump: "I want to make a new law that prohibits immigrants from collecting welfare for 5 years"

Dems: "Ummm Bill Clinton actually thought of that first and it's the current law you idiot!"

Trump: "Well it's a great idea, let's enforce it, progress is being made, we are coming together as a country #MAGA #AmericaFirst #Covfefe"

Dems: "You bigot! That law is raci... wait... damn... what's my talking point?"

Who's the bigger racist now? Trump or Clinton?
What the Fark does the law have to do with racism? You could be a lily white, blue-eyed, blonde, aryan immigrating from Germany and the law would apply to you as well.

If there's a law on the books requiring that one can't apply or receive welfare benefits and it is or was not being enforced, then the issue isn't that the law exists or doesn't exist. That's the logical point I was trying to make.

As far as I know the law was being enforced and if it wasn't, that's now 100% under Trump's control as he could order it to be enforced.

To advocate for a "new" law, when that law already exists is the issue I'm raising. It means that Trump does NOT KNOW that such a law already exists, or he's basically lying by omission by claiming that such a law is necessary.
Or he's making a point that Obama's administration turned a blind eye to it and reviving the conversation around benefits and immigration.

Trump: "I want to make a new law that prohibits immigrants from collecting welfare for 5 years"

Dems: "Ummm Bill Clinton actually thought of that first and it's the current law you idiot!"

Trump: "Well it's a great idea, let's enforce it, progress is being made, we are coming together as a country #MAGA #AmericaFirst #Covfefe"

Dems: "You bigot! That law is raci... wait... damn... what's my talking point?"

This could actually be happening. Lol

I am one of the ignorant ones. I did not know such a law exits. I agree with you this law should be enforced. Do you think all laws enacted by congress should be enforced? How about immigration law? Should it be enforced? If you say yes how would you recommend the government enforce it? Should drug laws be enforced? In what manner? Tax law?
(For the record please understand I'm asking in as polite a tone of voice as possible. I'm not trying to provoke a big debate. I'm curious what you have to say.)

Ponca Dan.

My area of expertise extends quite a bit into the area of Administrative Law. When Congress passes a statute (such as the The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996) which is the law disallowing LEGAL immigrants from receiving public assistance for at least 5 yrs upon arrival, the Administrative Agency empowered to enforce related legal provisions, is tasked with (on a near immediate basis) rewrite its Rules to enforce these new provisions. Thus, any Administrative Agency which accepts and processes request for aid, would amend its application forms and inform all employees of the new standards for review. Thus, the Agency's rules would reflect that no application from someone not meeting the new criteria could be processed or approved. So, no legal immigrant who doesn't meet the 5 yr requirement, would be pretty much automatically rejected as the new application forms would inquire as to that issue. (BTW, it's a federal crime punishable by fine, imprisonment or both to lie on said forms.)

Administrative Agencies are kind of a "shared responsibility" set-up, with the Executive Branch and Congress having pretty much equal say over them.

I have no reason to believe, and I certainly haven't heard ANY allegations by ANY Republican/Conservative/Media outlet that this provision of the law is NOT being enforced by the Dept of Healthy and Human Services. (If it was not being enforced and given that the Republicans have had control of the House for going on 6+ yrs, and the Senate for 2+ then I would believe that they would have been raising a stink if it wasn't.) I would also note that Trump did NOT predicate his call for this duplicate legislation by making any such claim.

This is all just "theater" - I'll guarantee you that someone in the Trump hierarchy knows this (Especially with Tom Price on staff) is already law, but also knows in political terms it plays well to Trump's base. I would be surprised if one in a thousand attendees at that rally has/had any clue that this was already law. From a political standpoint, that's all that really matters to a large degree, as perception often trumps (no pun intended) reality.

This is all just "theater" - I'll guarantee you that someone in the Trump hierarchy knows this (Especially with Tom Price on staff) is already law, but also knows in political terms it plays well to Trump's base. I would be surprised if one in a thousand attendees at that rally has/had any clue that this was already law. From a political standpoint, that's all that really matters to a large degree, as perception often trumps (no pun intended) reality.

If you've come full circle, I'll assume you had your hypothesis before thread creation.

Were you just looking to bitch?

Reactions: Medic007
We now have a president that literally runs out and calls for laws to be passed that are already laws. None of his sycophants stop him. Imagine Reince trying to. That or nobody knew what he would say and he doesn't have enough intellectual curiosity or forethought to wonder if there's already a law addressing it. That's it. It never occurred to him that there could be a dimension to the issue that occurred before him. That's how narcissistic and ignorant and intellectually dead that he is.

We now have a president that literally runs out and calls for laws to be passed that are already laws. None of his sycophants stop him. Imagine Reince trying to. That or nobody knew what he would say and he doesn't have enough intellectual curiosity or forethought to wonder if there's already a law addressing it. That's it. It never occurred to him that there could be a dimension to the issue that occurred before him. That's how narcissistic and ignorant and intellectually dead that he is.

Do you have a hobby besides bitching and sycophantic antics?

Reactions: JimmyBob
Ponca Dan.

My area of expertise extends quite a bit into the area of Administrative Law. When Congress passes a statute (such as the The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996) which is the law disallowing LEGAL immigrants from receiving public assistance for at least 5 yrs upon arrival, the Administrative Agency empowered to enforce related legal provisions, is tasked with (on a near immediate basis) rewrite its Rules to enforce these new provisions. Thus, any Administrative Agency which accepts and processes request for aid, would amend its application forms and inform all employees of the new standards for review. Thus, the Agency's rules would reflect that no application from someone not meeting the new criteria could be processed or approved. So, no legal immigrant who doesn't meet the 5 yr requirement, would be pretty much automatically rejected as the new application forms would inquire as to that issue. (BTW, it's a federal crime punishable by fine, imprisonment or both to lie on said forms.)

Administrative Agencies are kind of a "shared responsibility" set-up, with the Executive Branch and Congress having pretty much equal say over them.

I have no reason to believe, and I certainly haven't heard ANY allegations by ANY Republican/Conservative/Media outlet that this provision of the law is NOT being enforced by the Dept of Healthy and Human Services. (If it was not being enforced and given that the Republicans have had control of the House for going on 6+ yrs, and the Senate for 2+ then I would believe that they would have been raising a stink if it wasn't.) I would also note that Trump did NOT predicate his call for this duplicate legislation by making any such claim.

Thanks for your reply. However I was mainly curious if you believe that laws enacted by congress should be enforced. Particularly as it applies to legal/illegal immigration. And if you do believe they should be enforced what mechanism should be applied? If laws against illegal immigration are on the books how should the administrative leg of the government go about its duty? That's a question for which I have no satisfactory answer. I wonder if you do.

Or he's making a point that Obama's administration turned a blind eye to it and reviving the conversation around benefits and immigration.

By saying he wants to pass a law that is already in effect?

Seems to be tons of other ways to more effectively do what you are suggesting that wouldn't make him appear...you know...ignorant of the law.

I'm genuinely curious to see if in fact the welfare law that we are referencing was followed

Seems to be tons of other ways to more effectively do what you are suggesting that wouldn't make him appear...you know...ignorant of the law.
We all know that he says things to get reactions.

Whether he is absolutely cluless of the law (possible) or wanting to expose the hypocrisy of those ready to pounce on his every word and call him a bigot (also possible) he got what he wanted. People talking about a law that actually makes sense, and brought to us by a Dem.

Legal immigrants should absolutely be able to sustain themselves when coming to this country and not be a leach. Clinton thought this same thing, Trump agrees (or thinks he thought of it first depending on your views), I agree. It's a good idea.

Sounds like everyone has been ignorant to the law as it seems to not have been enforced.

Sounds like everyone has been ignorant to the law as it seems to not have been enforced.

Not enforcing it and being ignorant of it and publicly saying you want to pass a law that has already been passed are two different things.

They just are. Clearly.

There are several exceptions and exemptions to the law. Health and medical assistance is one. Could be he wanted to eliminate the exceptions.

There are several exceptions and exemptions to the law. Health and medical assistance is one. Could be he wanted to eliminate the exceptions.

source.gif

Not enforcing it and being ignorant of it and publicly saying you want to pass a law that has already been passed are two different things.

They just are. Clearly.
I am not arguing that, but I think it is safe to say that many, if not all, of the people harping it as previously known law were likely oblivious of it's existence, too. I worded my previous post rather poorly.

Reactions: CowboyJD
Holy shit! This is a ****ing story.

It's obviously a mistake on his part but whoopdeedoo. There are more important things to worry about like Russia Russia Russia.

I am not arguing that, but I think it is safe to say that many, if not all, of the people harping it as previously known law were likely oblivious of it's existence, too. I worded my previous post rather poorly.

I personally expect less ignorance of the law by the POTUS than I do the random internet poster or even the media (mainstream or otherwise).

That's probably just me though.

Holy shit! This is a ****ing story.

It's obviously a mistake on his part but whoopdeedoo. There are more important things to worry about like Russia Russia Russia.

This is the kind of response I would like to see instead of suggestions that he is maybe playing 4D chess again.

Of course it was a mistake. Of course it isn't that big of a big deal. It only becomes a big deal when the fact that it was a mistake isn't acknowledged and accepted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT