Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma

‘Road Guy’: Martin, Cowboys embrace away atmosphere​

The O'Colly
  • Adam Engel, Co-Editor-in-Chief, @AdamEngel9
  • Sep 28, 2022 Updated 13 hrs ago
Brock Martin is an outlier.

He’s one of the few fathers on the OSU football team. An old guy compared to his teammates. He’s 23 and in his sixth year. An every down pass rush bruiser who lives off discipline and toughness.

Martin, a defensive end, likes it loud and thousands rooting against him. It’s why he prefers playing on the road. The No. 9 Cowboys will do that Saturday at No. 16 Baylor.

“I kind of like hearing the chirping from away fans,” he said. “Sometimes, they take it overboard. Sometimes I feel like I play better at away stadiums. So, I think I enjoy going into hostile territory."

It’s added pressure for him and his team to perform. Last year, Martin dislocated his left elbow against TCU. Normal recovery time suggested six weeks. He returned three weeks later.

“You just can’t show any emotion in your face when you’re hurting,” he said. “You just have to keep it straight.”

It’s because he thrives on discipline and toughness. Those words are OSU’s slogan. DAT. It’s stamped to the end of the Cowboy football’s social media posts. Plastered in the tunnels of Boone Pickens Stadium.

A few weeks ago, after coach Mike Gundy spoke to the team about that topic, Martin had a message.

He told Gundy that his only traits are discipline and toughness because he’s not that good.

“I said, 'Well, there's two things, one; that’s true,’” Gundy said. “’Two; you are pretty good, because you choose to do that and you are tougher than most people that step on the field.’”

Martin likes to do things differently.

At home, everyone except a sliver of away fans cheer for OSU. On the road, the Cowboys are public enemy No. 1.

Martin said West Virginia and Texas Tech are his favorite away environments. In Lubbock, students toss tortillas onto the field. The odd tradition originated in 1992 when a sportscaster said there are two things in Lubbock — Texas Tech and a tortilla factory.

In West Virginia, thousands of rowdy fans heckle the opposition.

“I feel like it’s part of the game,” Martin said. “You kinda take it and make it your own. OU is very interesting because it’s kinda like our stadium. They’re right on top of you. Right behind you. You can hear everything they’re saying. They’re not far away from you at all.”

In Waco, running back Dominic Richardson said he expects a wild environment. Baylor is marketing the game as a “gold out.” In 2020, against Baylor Richardson secured 169 rushing yards and three touchdowns.

“This is a big game for us and it’s a big game for them as well," Richardson said. "I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be a full house and it’s gonna be exciting to get out there and just battle ‘em out. We know we can handle that for sure.”

It’s a difference the players said they appreciate. There is something therapeutic about silencing a stadium full of haters.

“They all rally up and they’re ready to go,” Richardson said. “Their fans are crazy because they’re home and when we beat them it feels great.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News