ADVERTISEMENT

‘It’s a beautiful thing’: How Oklahoma State’s defense shined in fourth quarter against Texas

OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma

‘It’s a beautiful thing’: How Oklahoma State’s defense shined in fourth quarter against Texas​

Jacob Unruh
Oklahoman

AUSTIN, Texas — Oklahoma State defensive coordinator Jim Knowles has high expectations from his players.

Defend an inch. Stop opponents each time.

“That’s just how we have to think,” Knowles said.

But it was even harder to predict the fourth-quarter play of the Cowboys’ defense in a 32-24 comeback win over Texas on Saturday at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium.

The Longhorns had just 1 yard on just eight plays. They turned the ball over once. Simply, the Cowboys’ defense shined brightest when the game was on the line.

“It’s a beautiful thing when it comes all together,” Knowles said. “That’s why we play the game, but I expect our guys to rise up in the circumstances.”

Now, the Cowboys are undefeated heading to Ames, Iowa, next week for a matchup at Iowa State. They’re likely destined for a top-10 ranking as well.

On Saturday, OSU’s fourth-quarter defense was rarely seen but crucial.

Texas opened the quarter with a punt clinging to a 24-16 lead. After OSU scored to get within two, the Cowboys held star Bijan Robinson to 7 yards on three carries. Quarterback Casey Thompson was sacked by freshman Collin Oliver and held to minus-4 yards rushing. He completed one pass for zero yards and was intercepted on his final throw by OSU’s Tanner McCalister.

It was all due to some adjustments for a veteran defense.

“We have enough now in the package and the guys understand it well enough that we’re able to throw some curveballs and make some changeups,” Knowles said. “That’s a credit to the players. They understand the system. They like the pressure.”

By then, OSU had run more than 20 plays and totaled nearly 170 yards. It scored 16 unanswered points.

That was quite enjoyable for a defense that carried the way again.

“We like to be out there,” OSU safety Jason Taylor II said. “That’s the type of defense we have. We like challenges and we like to go out there and have it in our hands. But it was great to sit back and see the offense coming along.”

Mike Gundy: ‘You gotta score’​

With less than 3 minutes remaining and a one-point lead, OSU coach Mike Gundy faced a decision.

Score or not score?

Star running back Jaylen Warren burst through the Texas defense for a 29-yard run, putting OSU at the 10. Texas had two timeouts.

The Longhorns wanted the Cowboys to score, allowing more time for a chance to tie the game. Quarterback Spencer Sanders obliged on the next play, running for a 10-yard score.

For Gundy, that was the right call.

“You gotta score,” Gundy said. “They could have used their timeouts and forced us to kick a field goal, so now you’re only up by four.

“People say, ‘Yeah, take a knee on the 1 and run it in.’ With the two timeouts and all that, that’s great if you run it in. If you don’t run it in, that’s not good.”

Gundy also said the Cowboys had to have faith in the defense, which got the ball right back with McCalister’s interception.

Brock Martin crashes the party​

Sporting a big brace on his left elbow, OSU defensive end Brock Martin struggled at times. Playing through a recently dislocated elbow can be tough.

But Martin somehow found a way to deliver in the biggest moment.

Knowles called it the “Brock Martin play.” It happened last season at Baylor. It happened again.

“When we send him off the edge and he just tackles everybody in the backfield,” Knowles said. “He pulled out his own magic there.”

Late in the fourth, Texas faced third-and-1 when Martin came off the edge in an instant, hit Robinson into Thompson, leading to a 2-yard loss.

Then, Martin followed that up on fourth down by stuffing Thompson for no gain.

It was a big moment for a veteran who missed only one game with the painful injury.

And there appears to be a chance he returns next season for a super senior year, though Martin has not confirmed his intentions.

“He’s coming back next year,” Gundy said. “He’s going to play again next year, then he’ll donate his body to science. Brock loves to play.”

Spencer Sanders battles through adversity​

Gundy’s postgame evaluation of Sanders is incomplete.

“He missed some throws,” Gundy said, “but we didn’t protect him. So, it’s really hard to evaluate a quarterback when you don’t do a good job of protecting him.

“He missed a few throws, but when you’re concerned about pressure coming consistently, which it was at times, it’s just tough to play. That part I know because I’ve been at the position and I know how it feels.”

Sanders completed 19 of 32 passes for 178 yards, a touchdown and an interception. He also rushed for 20 yards and a TD on 10 carries.

And even though Gundy wasn’t ready to fully evaluate his quarterback, Sanders had his own take.

“I feel like I didn’t play too good,” Sanders said. “I’m not going to hang my head over it. We came back and fought through some adversity.”

What Brown can do for you​

UNLV transfer kicker Tanner Brown, a walk-on, is becoming a weapon.

Brown made all four field goals, including a 29-yard decisive kick in the fourth quarter to seize control of the job.

“Moving forward, he would be the guy based on the success he’s had at this point,” Gundy said.

Brown has made all five field goals he’s attempted in the past two games.

“He’s been really good,” Gundy said about Brown. “His times are good, his elevation’s been good. At the end there when he’s trying to kick for the lead, there’s a lot of pressure. And he’s executed so far.”

Returning kicker Alex Hale was healthy, but did not play. He’s dealt with a mechanical issue throughout the season, which led to him missing 3 of 5 field goals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News